• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd give another two weeks and then nudge. That's about how long I'd given my last submission, which I wound up pulling back, anyway.

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morgan, I can't help but wonder if you'd read much of this thread before submitting. It's okay if you didn't--it is, after all, massive--but it contains information from Musa authors which directly educates and benefits other potential Musa authors.

This might be a good time to get yourself a beverage and settle in for some reading.

Maryn, watching it snow sideways

Morgan Hunter

Creativity...feel it; live it
Registered
Reaction score
I'd give another two weeks and then nudge. That's about how long I'd given my last submission, which I wound up pulling back, anyway.

Thanks a ton, BenPanced.

I will take the backseat for a little longer before nudging them

Cheers,

~MH~

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan, I can't help but wonder if you'd read much of this thread before submitting. It's okay if you didn't--it is, after all, massive--but it contains information from Musa authors which directly educates and benefits other potential Musa authors.

This might be a good time to get yourself a beverage and settle in for some reading.

Maryn, watching it snow sideways

I have actually read quite a bit on here, but maybe poking around a little more couldn't hurt.

The way you say that makes me wonder if you're cautioning me against using Musa as a publisher? I've seen several posts where others have cautioned on Musa's lowering sales and whatnot. Author beware?

Cheers,

~MH~

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Summarizing my side of the thread:

I was very happy when Musa first started. They were borne of the ashes of Aspen Mountain Press (R.I.Ptooey!), formed by several former staff members. It started out all right, but as time went along, I noticed some cracks.

And ignored them.

I was spending more time and money doing self promotion than what I was getting from Musa. However, being so deeply entrenched in a round of Published Author: The Game, I refused to admit anything was wrong. I even flounced from AW for a short time because I couldn't believe ANYBODY was saying such horrible, awful, mean, spiteful things about my publisher.

The entire time, however, there was that niggling at the back of my mind that many of these things were true.

Much of the promotion and marketing that Musa was supposed to provide never really happened; I got an email from a promo person there this last August but my books had been out for almost three years and I felt it was too late to do anything effective. In fact, this is the same as many people have also said so I'm not so hesitant about it.

I'd submitted a manuscript last summer and it sat in the queue for a couple months, about two or three weeks beyond the suggested reply time. I sent an email to withdraw it from consideration for a variety of reasons and got a reply in less than 24 hours. My contracts are up in January, which was last month, and this July, but I never heard from them within the 60-day negotiation window for the January date. I sent an email requesting the rights be reverted on both. And got a reply in less than 24 hours (but I still haven't received a reversion letter so I'm still in limbo, never mind the fact they're "busy" and have "dozens" of others to get to).

I used to recommend them to other authors, but now I'm much more hesitant. If you're lucky enough to have a positive experience with them, mazel tov. I'm frying other fish right now so I can't worry about them any longer.

Last edited:

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Summarizing my side of the thread:

I was very happy when Musa first started. They were borne of the ashes of Aspen Mountain Press (R.I.Ptooey!), formed by several former staff members. It started out all right, but as time went along, I noticed some cracks.

And ignored them.

I was spending more time and money doing self promotion than what I was getting from Musa. However, being so deeply entrenched in a round of Published Author: The Game, I refused to admit anything was wrong. I even flounced from AW for a short time because I couldn't believe ANYBODY was saying such horrible, awful, mean, spiteful things about my publisher.

The entire time, however, there was that niggling at the back of my mind that many of these things were true.

Much of the promotion and marketing that Musa was supposed to provide never really happened; I got an email from a promo person there this last August but my books had been out for almost three years and I felt it was too late to do anything effective. In fact, this is the same as many people have also said so I'm not so hesitant about it.

I'd submitted a manuscript last summer and it sat in the queue for a couple months, about two or three weeks beyond the suggested reply time. I sent an email to withdraw it from consideration for a variety of reasons and got a reply in less than 24 hours. My contracts are up in January, which was last month, and this July, but I never heard from them within the 60-day negotiation window for the January date. I sent an email requesting the rights be reverted on both. And got a reply in less than 24 hours (but I still have received a reversion letter so I'm still in limbo, never mind the fact they're "busy" and have "dozens" of others to get to).

I used to recommend them to other authors, but now I'm much more hesitant. If you're lucky enough to have a positive experience with them, mazel tov. I'm frying other fish right now so I can't worry about them any longer.

Thanks for your candid account with them. After reading through much more of this thread and your hesitation with their practices, I will not accept a contract with them. Besides, I have another publisher with a much better track record reading my R&R as we speak. I'll just wait for them.

Cheers,

~MH~

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your candid account with them. After reading through much more of this thread and your hesitation with their practices, I will not accept a contract with them. Besides, I have another publisher with a much better track record reading my R&R as we speak. I'll just wait for them.

Cheers,

~MH~

Make sure you contact them to withdraw your submission, if you're absolutely sure you don't want to work with them. No point wasting their reading time.

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point Captcha makes. It's the professional thing to do.

Maryn, professional lagabout

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure you contact them to withdraw your submission, if you're absolutely sure you don't want to work with them. No point wasting their reading time.

I already have. Thanks for the note.

Cheers,

~MH~

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Got my rights reversions today. Don't know what to feel right now.

Ben, in all honesty, you will feel a bit of emptiness and slight regret, and this shows itself no matter who the publisher is. You will come to positively accept it and move on to greener pastures. I felt terrible about my split with Lyrical, since I adored the founder and enjoyed her company so much. I've only had one publisher return my rights to me at the expiration of the contract, and this brought me down in the dumps for awhile; that was until I self-published it and copped a better and new feeling for the book and its chances.

Good luck in finding your book a better and lasting home.

tri

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hugs, Ben. This may sound strange, but it's been a privilege to watch you through the whole process with Musa, especially your grace under pressure from both Musa's mistakes and critical outsiders looking in. Your books are lovely and you can be justifiably proud of them. May this be the start of bigger and better things!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm considering asking for the return of the Bitches, but I'm not at the end of my contract. I'll let the poor girls wallow for a while, since I have other things going on. It's not as if they aren't used to low sales. *shrugs*

The old girls deserved better, but I have no regrets and no hard feelings.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Ben, I do feel for you. It's tough.

When a publisher failed on me once, I had to do a "let go of the dream" sort of thing. This was going to be my breakout book; the publisher promised a great deal and then didn't deliver on one single thing they claimed to be keen to do. It hurt, frankly. I had to mourn for a bit, and then re-start writing my stuff. It took some time to process, to talk it over with knowledgeable others, and simply to let myself feel what I was feeling.

You've already begun to move on. Hugs anyway.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first publishing experience was even more disappointing than mine with Musa, and I too went through a process of grieving similar to a bad romance. First, disbelief of what everyone else was seeing, then blaming them, then blaming myself, then anger, sadness, never wanting to fall in love again, then eventually evaluating where I was and moving on. My Musa experience wasn't nearly as traumatic as the previous one, but . . . similar.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Watching Musa over the last four years has made me *incredibly * more conservative about which publishers I choose. Musa started out so well that I queried them.

What's happened since? It's been one of two factors that have led me to essentially do data analyses of publishers and their authors. I don't usually publish or mention my findings, but those influence how I regard the publisher.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I still have my two novels with Musa. Sebastian's Poet and The Reasons. They both have received nothing but outstanding reviews. Sales...as I have said previously, have been low. But this is not only because of Musa's lack of marketing. I have also been guilty of not doing much. Since my two recent releases (Burn Baby Burn Baby and Half Dead & Fully Broken) I have been noticing a pick up in sales for my Musa books. I'm keeping Musa. The editors were great to work with, and I'm well pleased with both of my covers. I just felt like they have been 100% absent since release day. They never even retweeted when I @ed them for contests, etc. But the books are out there, available...and in packages I like. They are serving their purpose and hopefully, I am serving mine for them...

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still have my two novels with Musa. Sebastian's Poet and The Reasons. They both have received nothing but outstanding reviews. Sales...as I have said previously, have been low. But this is not only because of Musa's lack of marketing. I have also been guilty of not doing much. Since my two recent releases (Burn Baby Burn Baby and Half Dead & Fully Broken) I have been noticing a pick up in sales for my Musa books. I'm keeping Musa. The editors were great to work with, and I'm well pleased with both of my covers. I just felt like they have been 100% absent since release day. They never even retweeted when I @ed them for contests, etc. But the books are out there, available...and in packages I like. They are serving their purpose and hopefully, I am serving mine for them...
I honestly do hope everything works out for you. I know your experiences aren't mine and vice versa, but if you're getting a positive experience I can't argue.
Ben, you've been a class act all the way. Best wishes for your new successes!
Thanks. I could be a total ass about all of this but it would only reflect poorly on myself.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'll second Ben, I really hope sales pick you and you do well. I still have a contract offer from Musa, but then I have five other offers for the same book to contemplate. Nine subs are still out there for it and my agent is hammering on the big doors as of this writing.

Got every appendage crossed for a nice sale. But there's no for-sure-things in this fickle business. Wot?

tri

Morgan Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Got my rights reversions today. Don't know what to feel right now.

At least you have control once again :yesway: but I understand the empty feelings. It sucks to go through all that just to be right back at square one or ponder what the point was. Authors go through so much and the rewards are hard to see when the outlook is so dark at times.

:e2steer:Keep that ship centered on the second star on the right and straight on till morning!

Cheers,

~MH~

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've received messages from a number of people today telling me that Musa has sent out a message announcing its closure.

All rights will be reverted to its current authors by the end of this month.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
It's a real shame especially as things could have worked out better for everyone if a different approach had been taken a few years ago.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Two books without a home. Damn.