Might there be...Icelandic?

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

For my third book, HAMMERED, there's some Icelandic stuff in there, mostly place names. I'm putting together a pronunciation guide now and I could use the help if you know where to direct me, or if you know a native speaker, great! Thanks.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Hi all.

For my third book, HAMMERED, there's some Icelandic stuff in there, mostly place names. I'm putting together a pronunciation guide now and I could use the help if you know where to direct me, or if you know a native speaker, great! Thanks.
I'm pretty sure there's an Icelander on the board -- but I can't remember his name. Efleson? something in that area.

Ah, efreysson

He's a fantasy writer, so I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I lived there for two years, but I can't help as I only speak a few words. It is a tough language, as least in my opinion. I know many Icelanders, but none who are writers except for the blogger I already gave you.

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
One of my friends is actually Icelandid. He lives in the capital. I could ask him if he'd be willing. :)

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's an Icelander on the board -- but I can't remember his name. Efleson? something in that area.

Ah, efreysson

He's a fantasy writer, so I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

I am indeed Icelandic. Go ahead and drop me a line.

jlasserton

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A little off topic, but why are people from Iceland called "Icelandic"? and not "an Icelander"? Would that mean that a person from Greenland is a "Greenlandic"? What happened to England? How did they become "Brits"?

Curious....

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
In Germanic nations, many use their tribe name to describe their language. The Anglo-Saxons speak English, Swedes speak Swedish, Danes speak Danish and the (Platts)Deutsch speak Dutch. Icelandic gets its name from the geographic location, not the people who lived there. The people who formed their language for a while did not consider themselves too different from the Norse.