Memoir as Collection of Essays

thumbelindy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I self-pubbed a novelette/collection of essays written as a quirky, laugh-out-loud "lessons from my mother" meant to celebrate the special bond between a mother and daughter. I wrote/pubbed this as a "mother's day gift" to my own mother, but it sold THOUSANDS of copies and event hit some top selling lists for Kindle - and is currently a 5-star on Amazon.

Given the success (and fun) of that project, I'd like to take the book, pull it off the market, and take it up to a full length (maybe 60k-ish words) and try to pitch it as a memoir later this year.

Does anyone have advice, guidance, suggestions? Is it ok to take a self-pub project, rewrite, and try to pitch to an agent? Do the numbers from Amazon mean anything?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Usually self-published books don't get agents. But since you've already had thousands of purchasers, and this would be a new and enlarged book, you might.

I'd ask this question in Ask the Agent.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

thumbelindy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Siri, I definitely will (I'm still new to these boards!) I've already started the process of "retiring" this book, so it won't be available any longer in it's current form at all,