• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Melanie Mills

James D Macdonald

NPR

<a href="http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=1828626" target="_new">Day To Day, 07 APR 04</a>

Optimus Maximus

Re: its just my opinion, you know everyone has one

In my (behavioural/experiment area) most.
You're a (experimental) behaviorist?!

Bah!

That explains everything!

:p

p.s. kidding. ;)

veingloree

Re: Bet...

There's a difference between behavioural and behaviourist.

betjam

R: Optimus Maximus and Veinglow

I didn't use the diagnosis Multiple Person. disorder
nor did I talk about behavioral experiment areas. I think you meant to reply to someone else???
Or am I making a mistake.
Anyways you both know more than me. What does the DMSV say about it.

Bet

James D Macdonald

Re: R: Optimus Maximus and Veinglow

This is getting rather far afield from Ms. Mills. Perhaps a new thread in the Take It Outside Board is in order?

betjam

I hear you James. Latest on Mel

Con woman ordered to take psych tests

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
CP Broadcast News&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Friday, April 02, 2004

VICTORIA - An American con woman, accused of running down her mother in Arkansas, has been denied bail in B.C. Supreme Court in Victoria. Lisa Hackney, also known by 16 different aliases, has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric assessment.
She is wanted in Madison County, Ark., on charges of aggravated assault, battery, theft and failure to appear.
American authorities allege she mowed down her wealthy mother with a car, breaking her hip.
Hackney even went on to write a book about it.
She was arrested in Victoria March 23 and her next court appearance is scheduled for April 23.

Maybe we will soon learn her diagnosis

henrygriffin

stranger than fiction

"Melanie" was wearing a blonde wig when I met her at her ramshackle house in Myrtle Beach a year ago April. She was about 5 feet tall, couldn't have weighed more than ninety lbs., smoked like a chimney and laughed like a horse with bronchial condition. The first time I talked to her, after she had agreed to represent my first work, she informed me that she was a very early riser, and, that particular morning, had mistakenly sprayed her hair deodorant, instead of hairspray. She also said she didn't like to put to much information on her website because "of all the whackos out there". Who knows? Moments later she might have transformed into one of those very whackos.
Interesting thing is, "Melanie" never asked me for money to read, edit, or otherwise represent my work. After she got caught, I followed up with several of the editors she had purportedly contacted, and, indeed, she had submitted the work in a legit fashion and had received legit responses. So, when I got the note from "Kat Baker" informing me of her fatal car accident, I was thrown for a loop. She appeared to be doing a pretty good job, even if she did seem a little odd.
What's even stranger is, the novel that "Melanie" was representing, entitled "Hack", is about an artist who fakes his own death to drive up the value of his paintings, then assumes a new identity and reaps the profits.
So, y'all can blame it all on me!

bentbrains

Re: Melanie Mills & Writer Beware mentioned on NPR's Day

Sorry I missed it. Do you know if it will air again in the future?
If so, I would love to listen to it.
Thank You,
Frank J. Middleton

HConn

Re: Melanie Mills & Writer Beware mentioned on NPR's Day

The audio might be available on the website.

Otherwise, no, it won't air again.

bentbrains

Thank You JAMES!!!

That was very nice of you sweetheart! That link got me just what I needed! How do you do that? I don't care how, just keep doing what you are doing, pumping all of us with beautiful information! :hail I love the internet!:jump

betjam

MM

Found this on Friday's hearing.

STORY
Fraudster's amnesia claims false, court told

Richard Watts
Times Colonist

Saturday, April 24, 2004
ADVERTISEMENT

An American-born fraudster being held on an extradition warrant hasn't lost her memory as she claims, B.C. Supreme Court heard Friday.

Lisa Hackney, 49, also known as Elisabeth von Hullessem and L.R. Thomas, shuffled into court in shackles and had her case put over until next Wednesday for a bail hearing.

Ernie Froess, federal Crown prosecutor acting for the United States, said psychological assessments have determined Hackney's amnesia isn't genuine, so there is no reason why the court can't proceed.

"There is no reason for the court to play along," said Froess. "Ms. Hackney is a good actress, nothing more."

Hackney, who was sentenced in Alberta last November for fraud, is wanted in Arkansas on assault charges. After Friday's short court session, Froess said U.S. authorities have yet to make a formal extradition request, but have until May 21 to make the application.

Early this month Hackney was diverted from cells at Victoria Police Headquarters to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Port Coquitlam for tests. She had suddenly developed amnesia and apparently couldn't even remember her own name. During a hearing she even asked the judge at the time to tell her who she was.

Hackney was arrested on March 23 by Victoria police and RCMP.

Police in Madison County, Ark. have been looking for the woman since 1999, contending she ran over her mother, breaking her hip. They charged her with a variety of assault offences but Hackney left the area.

Since then Hackney has run into problems with the law in Canada.

She was arrested last October in Victoria and taken to Banff to face fraud charges related to a phoney writers' conference. She pleaded guilty, spent one day in jail and was ordered to pay $7,084 in restitution.

© Copyright 2004 Times Colonist (Victoria)

RottenLuckWillie

MM

:rofl
Thanks bunches Bet! I was wondering when she was due in court again. If she can't remeber her name, I'll be happy to help her.:evil
rlw

reph

Re: Breaking news

If I'd used as many names as she's used, I'd have a hard time remembering them, too. :b

DaveKuzminski

Re: melanie mills

Melanie is definitely alive and in jail according to the last report I had on her.

RottenLuckWillie

:gone
Last I heard Ms Melanie was in jail in British Columbia awaiting extradition to the USA. Anybody hear anything after that? I did get an email from a St. Louis reporter looking for an interview about that time, but never heard back.
rlw

starmason

I'm curious about this as well. Has anyone heard anything new? The last I heard was that she was in Canada for a psychiatric evaluation.

betjam

This is the newest I saw doesn't say much though:
Update on Melanie Mills (a.k.a., Elisabeth von Hullessem, alias Lisa Hackney) Con artist wanted for trying to run over mom: U.S. sheriff on hunt for 'dangerous woman'. Kerry Williamson, With files from Jeff Bell, Calgary Herald.
Elisabeth von Hullessem, 49, appeared in a Victoria, B.C., courtroom Wednesday, a day after being picked up on a warrant in a local park. Von Hullessem, who goes by at least 16 aliases, is wanted in two American counties for a variety of alleged criminal wrongdoings and could be extradited to the United States. Her last run-in with the law came in November, when she appeared in a Banff courtroom charged with seven counts of fraud, two counts of false pretense and one count of theft. Those charges related to the phoney Banff Writers Conference, an event von Hullessem advertised for Banff and used to take money from seven individuals. She also attempted to woo people to a fake charity event, where she promised such luminaries as Barbra Streisand, Elton John, Rod Stewart and Celine Dion. Von Hullessem pleaded guilty to one fraud charge, spent a day in jail and was ordered to pay restitution of $7,083.78. She was free until Tuesday when she was picked up by Victoria police acting on a tip. She may now be shipped back to Madison County, Ark., where she is charged with first-degree battery, aggravated assault and theft, and failing to appear in court. Lawyer John Green said outside the Victoria court Wednesday that his client, who used the known alias Melanie Mills, would be seeking bail and has not been scheduled for a hearing to discuss extradition. Von Hullessem will appear in court again today. Madison County Sheriff Phillip Morgan was unaware of von Hullessem's arrest when reached on Wednesday. That is good news, said Morgan, who said he will likely seek extradition. She is a dangerous woman and she needs to be off the streets.