• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

McCallister-Ingram Publishers

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm ... the name 'happens' to be a combination of someone who runs a major writing forum and the name of a major book database.

The 'publisher name' sounds like they just made up a name and hoped for some borrowed credibility. I'd bet they are a fraud - that a search of company records would show that there is no registered company with that name.

The email address corresponds to ' www.instituteofmetaphysics.com ' .. which has a UFO/ghost interest.

Mac

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
A wide-open call for submissions for short horror fiction and amateur art, offering $750 - $1000 a pop, for an anthology and a publisher no one's previously heard of (not to mention the publisher has a somewhat suspicious name), when the horror market still hasn't recovered from its collapse at the end of the eighties, and anthologies still haven't recovered from Roger Elwood?

My guess is that someone's going to lose a lot of money on the project. If it isn't the authors collectively, it'll be the backer/organizer. Fill in an additional Bingo square if the organizer's own work is included in the anthology.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I vote for having an aol address as being considered red flag status. I mean, come on, tech support peeps have only been saying for fifteen years that aol sucks donkeys, its time for america to get offline with america online. (And I realize that wording is almost offensive!)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I thought it was probably a scam. I did an internet search to find anything about this and came up with nothing. Thanks for the help.

prufrock1967

Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I felt compelled to respond after it came up in a web search.

This guy is running some sort of con. What it is, I don't know. His call for werewolf stories is still up on the ATL Craig's List. In fact, he has recently re-posted it. (8/20/07.)

That "scholarwm" e-mail address eventually leads not only to the "Institute for Metaphysics" site, but to this band listing in the Atlanta Creative Loafing. There, he's "Chuck" and is the band's drummer. Elsewhere he's "William." Additionally, he sometimes has signed off as "Esq." and other times as "PhD."

Yet his bios indicate that his last degree from a standard academic institution was a master's in early childhood education. That said, it was from one of the Atlanta area's less prestigious institutions, and that's being polite.

I wanted to respond to this thread as my first post here because I initially went so far as to bookmark the craigslist post from "McCallister-Ingram." Then I started evaluating it from the "dang, it's on CRAIG'S LIST" point of view. I've actually gotten a legitimate writing job through Craig's List before, but I tend to agree with anyone who says be wary of the site in general.

Anyway, once I did some digging, I felt like this was pretty smelly -- as in, if you go to the trouble to submit something, another shoe will drop, and that shoe might be bought with funds out of the submitter's pocket.

Just my sheckel for the pile.

P.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the sheckel and for looking out for other writers. Welcome! :welcome:

beatkay

Registered
Reaction score
Any ad for writers filled with typos and offering an outrageous sum of money for short fiction (very few markets pay that kind of dollars for short stories), makes me want to back away from the advertisement.

Tempting thought it might be, with the help of other posters here and some exploring on my own, I'm not touching this one.

And I have two werewolf stories that need a home! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FYI - both the Institute's page and Dr. Lester's home page (mysticdr.com) have vanished. As has the craiglist ad for essay-writers that I linked to....