MC Name - NEED HELP

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I done goofed pretty early on in my novel - when I named my MC. I need help finding her a new name. I've done a ton of research on my own, but nothing's really stuck out to me.

Background (if you don't care, feel free to skip):

So, I started my story with the good-intentioned, but very, very misguided, silly, and straight up out-of-line idea that 'The Urban Fantasy Genre could use more Native American female protagonists, and I AM THE ONE TO PROVIDE THEM'. While I'd still make an argument for the first half of that statement, I have well and truly miss-stepped in the second half.

The story has changed, all real ties to my MC's previous lineages severed and replaced with a background I have some actual ties-to/experience-with.

The last vestige is her name: Chepi Willow Bearchild

It's Algonquin in origin, meaning, ostensibly, Faerie/spirit.

While I would love to keep it, ultimately, it's confusing. It paints the MC as Native American out of the gate, but she's not, and I don't want to be the kind of jerk who puts my own emotional attachment before somebody else's culture. It's something that's going to happen by virtue of this being Urban Fantasy, and as a genre, it tends to poke people's religions/cultures with a stick, but I want to minimize it where possible.

All that being said, I need a new name, and help picking one!

Wants:

I would like something that is culturally relevant to her: Mom is Romani, Dad is Irish. Loads of both options to choose from, since Irish names are prolific through Western culture, and the Romani took up names and languages from their travels, so it's easy to find everything from Italian to Punjabi influences.

A meaning that fits with 'Duty' 'Warrior' 'Protector' 'Magic' 'Spirit' 'Faerie' 'Death' 'Darkness' etc. I'm open minded to this one.

A last name too, probably Irish, but Canada's a big place with lots of cultures, so I'm not too choosey if it works well. No 'Mac/Mc-anythings' though

Do not wants:

I'm looking for unique-ish names, so things like Jane, Sally, Rachael etc are out.

Avoiding Greek names.

Names starting with 'M' which is annoying to me, because I've found a half dozen 'M' names that are great, but I can't use them for story reasons -.-

Current Front runners:

Brigid - Irish Goddess of the Spring, etymological origin of the name 'Bridgit'

Jemisha - Iraq/Islam - Queen of the Night

Rajani - Hindi/Sanskrit - Night

Thanks!

Reactions: frimble3

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An aside: as a reader I deeply dislike names that have any connection to who a character is and what she does when she'd old enough to anchor a novel. Nobody holds their newborn knowing they'll be a warrior, dutiful, or connected to magic or spirits. Some name a child for their highest aspirations for that child, and that's fine. So if she becomes a powerful warrior, please don't give her a name that means warrior.

Since you've given us a broad range of names' meanings that would satisfy, I'm assuming that's not your intention. I just wanted to get it out there.

Surnames that don't start Mc-something (or O'Something, FitzSomething, etc.) but are clearly Irish are plentiful.
Farrell
Keller
Murtaugh
Bellew
Fagan
Byrne
Travers
Dunfee
Furlong
Heany
Mooney
Kelly
Fallon
Sullivan
Wheelan
Barron
Shannon
Kelsey

Maryn, who could go on...
Mulcahey

Reactions: kinokonoronin

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
An aside: as a reader I deeply dislike names that have any connection to who a character is and what she does when she'd old enough to anchor a novel. Nobody holds their newborn knowing they'll be a warrior, dutiful, or connected to magic or spirits. Some name a child for their highest aspirations for that child, and that's fine. So if she becomes a powerful warrior, please don't give her a name that means warrior.

Since you've given us a broad range of names' meanings that would satisfy, I'm assuming that's not your intention. I just wanted to get it out there.

Surnames that don't start Mc-something (or O'Something, FitzSomething, etc.) but are clearly Irish are plentiful.
Farrell
Keller
Murtaugh
Bellew
Fagan
Byrne
Travers
Dunfee
Furlong
Heany
Mooney
Kelly
Fallon
Sullivan
Wheelan
Barron
Shannon
Kelsey

Maryn, who could go on...
Mulcahey

I 100% agree with the sentiment - I didn't name my kid because I wanted her to be X profession, or fulfill some grand purpose. MC folks, though, are knee deep in magic, so they have a fondness for magic-y and/or spooky names. On top of that, her dad, in particular, DOES have a purpose for her, and would likely name her accordingly.

Thanks for the Irish surname list btw!

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
My grandmother's name was Faye, which I've always thought would make an excellent MC name for fantasy.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I done goofed pretty early on in my novel - when I named my MC. I need help finding her a new name. I've done a ton of research on my own, but nothing's really stuck out to me.

Wants:

I would like something that is culturally relevant to her: Mom is Romani, Dad is Irish. Loads of both options to choose from, since Irish names are prolific through Western culture, and the Romani took up names and languages from their travels, so it's easy to find everything from Italian to Punjabi influences.

A meaning that fits with 'Duty' 'Warrior' 'Protector' 'Magic' 'Spirit' 'Faerie' 'Death' 'Darkness' etc. I'm open minded to this one.

A last name too, probably Irish, but Canada's a big place with lots of cultures, so I'm not too choosey if it works well. No 'Mac/Mc-anythings' though

Do not wants:

I'm looking for unique-ish names, so things like Jane, Sally, Rachael etc are out.

Avoiding Greek names.

Names starting with 'M' which is annoying to me, because I've found a half dozen 'M' names that are great, but I can't use them for story reasons -.-

Current Front runners:

Thanks!
Might I suggest that you could keep 'Chepi', which to me has an vaguely exotic, Punjabi or Tibetan sound. Or, maybe 'Chava' which seems to have a variety of meanings across a variety of languages. https://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Chava
Apparently in Romany 'Chavi' means child or girl, although I believe that in England 'chav' is slang for 'young lout'.
If you want to get rid of the 'stereotypical Indian' sound, lose 'Willow Bearchild'. The 'Willow' might pass as a mother wanting something graceful and romantic. But Bearchild has got to go. I'd go with something from the list of Irish surnames that Maryn provided.
Maybe Chepi Willow Byrne? Three different sounding names, that a girl could mix and match as she grows and changes.

Reactions: TulipMama

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
Man I'm a bad person, let this slide a little long.

Thanks everybody for your input, especially you Frimble, you're a rock star with the Chavi angle. My MC's new name is Chavi Willow Garrison, for several reasons that fit thematically and culturally.

Thanks again all!

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Wants:

Do not wants:

Avoiding Greek names.

Current Front runners:

Thanks!

Random thoughts on solution:

Could she have chosen the name as part of a New Age spiritual path? Then explain Chebi et al when asked. Maybe in rebellion for her parents naming her Rachel Jane after both of her grandmothers.

Google search for random name generators with check ethnic sections.

I like Brigid. Or Bridgit.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Man I'm a bad person, let this slide a little long.

Thanks everybody for your input, especially you Frimble, you're a rock star with the Chavi angle. My MC's new name is Chavi Willow Garrison, for several reasons that fit thematically and culturally.

Thanks again all!
Glad to be of help! Hope you keep going with Chavi and her parents.