Mass Effect: Andromeda

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Announcement trailer.

BioWare Blog post, giving information on the game. In short, it takes place a long time after the original trilogy in a galaxy far, far away (ha). with a new Mako and a new hero (apparently not the fellow featured in the trailer, interestingly enough).

And if you haven't seen it, a supposed leaked survey about the game from back in mid-April. The setting's right, but it associates jetpack-jumping with leg armour while the trailer shows the character's jetpack on their back, so who knows how much is and isn't accurate.

I'd say more but my tongue has fallen out of my mouth. GGLLLAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH.

John Ayliff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnayliff.com
Glad to see they're going in a new direction.

I bought an Xbox 360 in order to play Mass Effect. Maybe I'll but an Xbox One in order to play Mass Effect: Andromeda...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I rather liked the Mako and exploring planets - it brought me back to my old days playing Starflight.

I actually am rather surprised. I thought that any new ME games would be set before ME3 - if only because there's a lot of stuff going on in the milky way at the same time as Shepard was running around and before the Reapers showed up.

Still, I'm curious to see A) How far in the future it is and B) If they actually change the technology an appreciable amount.

That's something that always bugs me...when a setting jumps forward 100-200 years and technology is still basically the same. It can be excused (sometimes) in fantasy (but usually not), but in sci-fi? That's just inexcusable, considering how fast technology advances these days.

...not unless you're writing something set in the Slow Zone...

Sophia

Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've had Ghost Riders in the Sky in my head for hours. :) And that's footage from the game engine, reflecting the gameplay experience? Gosh!

Zoombie, good point about the tech. I was wondering if they're going to use time tricks, a wormhole to get to Andromeda, maybe, so the tech isn't that advanced from when they left. I know the problem with the star Dholen prematurely turning into a red giant was to do with an abandoned dark matter storyline, but I always wished they would make use of that as a way to connect to another galaxy in any future game.

Can't wait, whatever they do. :)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
That's something that always bugs me...when a setting jumps forward 100-200 years and technology is still basically the same. It can be excused (sometimes) in fantasy (but usually not), but in sci-fi? That's just inexcusable, considering how fast technology advances these days.

It can be done well. Iain Banks's Culture doesn't move forward very much over the (several millenia, I think) span of the books. But it works there, imo.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It can be done well. Iain Banks's Culture doesn't move forward very much over the (several millenia, I think) span of the books. But it works there, imo.

That is true!

...of course, now I kind of want a video game set in The Culture.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
That is true!

...of course, now I kind of want a video game set in The Culture.

This is needed. Sadly I don't really believe anyone could pull it off. One of the things I like about the Culture novels is that they're a great example of world-building and storytelling at a depth games still haven't quite figured out yet.

I only just finished playing through Mass Effect and it was as close as any game as come for me. Given how much it borrowed from existing sci-fi I'm sure there was some Culture inspiration in there.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Romance and Fantasy (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of feeling mixed about this. I loved Mass Effect 2 (never finished 1), but I didn't like Mass Effect 3 much overall. And the way it ended was...weird...and out of nowhere... (As someone who reads and watches kids' stuff, and love Hero's Journey arcs and happy HEA endings, the ending was disappointing to me.) So....:Shrug:

I'll stick with Elder Scrolls and maybe Dragon Age games.

Last edited:

Pallandozi

Registered
Reaction score
Out of all the announcements thus far this is the one I'm most excited for. I love the first three games, and I will definitely be getting this one too.

I enjoyed Andromeda. I think, plot-wise, the best of them was Mass Effect 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.