• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mardi Gras Publishing

mardigrasboss

Registered
Reaction score
All smiles :D

Of course.

The problem is how to get the reading public to Google your site.

If the writer has to tell everyone he/she knows to go and buy their book, might as well go with Lulu, and keep all the profits on a print title.

See what I mean, with all respect.

Ken

Well I was going to list the many ways readers find our books, but I think Kristin's post below answers that. :D

Although MGP is eBook, we are also POD, using Lightning Source as our printer. Although, you are correct in stating our authors must do most of the leg work for print promotion, that is gradually changing. We have a promo guru assisting our authors with bookstore signings and we are aggressively working to get our books on the shelves.

Ken - are you a NY author or Indie? I am asking this based on the fact I haven't looked. Sorry :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
On the issue of how writers find you, other than through ebook distributors publishers develop a loyal readership and word spreads pretty quickly. As with any area of publishing some epublishers sell more than others but the whole industry can't be characterised as too crowded to work because ebook readers know how to find the sort of niche material they are looking for. Even now an epress with a niche, good staff and a cunning plan can still break through.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I was going to list the many ways readers find our books, but I think Kristin's post below answers that. :D

Although MGP is eBook, we are also POD, using Lightning Source as our printer. Although, you are correct in stating our authors must do most of the leg work for print promotion, that is gradually changing. We have a promo guru assisting our authors with bookstore signings and we are aggressively working to get our books on the shelves.

Ken - are you a NY author or Indie? I am asking this based on the fact I haven't looked. Sorry :)

Well at least you're honest.

I have two real publishing credits. Two print mags. And an anthology credit.

Yes, I've written books as well. No big sales, yet.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I understand, from one of their authors, they are going out of business. No details yet...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I was on their website yesterday and they were looking for submissions for certain things. I looked for word of closing, but couldn't find it. Of course, I haven't been there today.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I wrote the post on the other thread and received the information from a Mardi Gras author. The loop was from a writer's group where I belong and the same person had said (right after the RWA announcement regarding recognition) that she was fairly sure back then that Mardi Gras was closing its doors. The author lost at least one book because of it, and MG was basically incommunicado regarding any inquiries. She had no additional information as a result.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Totally blindsided by this. I was on vacation and its getting messy. I know this is how the business often works, but I was faithful to my publisher. I just want my payments and rights back. Here we go again.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sadly, reverting rights means nothing in the real world if Mardi Gras files bankruptcy. A bankruptcy trustee will (and has the right to) freeze any transfers of assets--publishing contracts are assets of the business--as far back as 6 months PRIOR to the filing of bankruptcy if they feel it will benefit the creditors. So, even if you get your rights back, please be very careful about what you do with them. Don't immediately query them around, because you might get a cease and desist letter from a federal court in a few months.

Oh, and DO file a claim as an unsecured creditor if the company does file and you're owed royalties. It's not much, but it puts the courts on notice that you're not just an asset, but also a creditor. The secured creditors (credit card companies, equipment leases, and such) still have priority, but at least your name is in the mix.

Good luck and sorry about this for all of you... :(

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Bankruptcy is in the near future and warnings have been pasted about this publisher for at least the last few months. As mentioned, bankruptcy clouds ownership of the contract. Another reason to favor publishers with a shorter term of contract because it reverts at the end of term no matter who holds it.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
There is announcement concerning this on Ann Cory's blog (starting with "The authors, editors and staff of Mardi Gras Publishing would like to respond to the information that is spreading quickly through the various sites):
http://anncory.com/blog/?p=18

Last edited:

swordgirl

Registered
Reaction score
from myspace (louise Bohmer)

As some of you who follow the erotic as well as other small press genre industry news know by now, Mardi Gras Publishing has just closed its doors. If you check out the blogs of Katrina Strauss and HS Kinn you'll find detailed information from them on the various reasons for this closure. I've known both Kitty and Heather for some time in the industry and I offer them both, as well as my other dear friends who've been affected by this closure, my support and sympathies in this matter.

Reports from those who can now speak out since the imminent bankruptcy of MGP was made official tell of some rather nightmarish business practices on the part of Teresa Jacobs (writes as Teresa Wayne), including many accounts of some rather blatant plagarizing of authors' submitted materials.

Authors, if you know of Mardi Gras, Teresa Jacobs or under her pen name of Teresa Wayne I strongly caution you against entering into any sort of literary deals or projects with this woman. It appears her business practices are highly unethical and she's infringed on author's rights severely.

Mardi Gras site: http://mardigraspublishing.com/

~*~*~*~

1:13 PM - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment

HS Kinn

We very much appreciate your support, hon!

Posted by HS Kinn on August 28, 2007 - Tuesday at 2:25 PM
[Reply to this]

HS Kinn

Kayleigh wanted to weigh in on this, and I hope you don't mind me posting this comment for her...

"Hey Louise. Kayleigh Jamison here, friend and colleague of both Kitty and Heather, and all around bitchess. :p I feel the need to throw in my comments since, well, it's what I do.

Teresa is also rumored to have registered a domain name for Satin Rouge Publishing. Satin Rouge was one of the lines of MGP. It is only rumor and conjecture at this point that she is intending to open a new press, but so far rumors and conjecture about Mardi Gras Publishing have all proven true.

Legal ramifications of attempting to start a new business whilst the old one is in bankruptcy aside, this woman should, under no circumstances, be permitted to launch another press after how she has handled MGP. Kitty's, Heather's, and my experiences only skim the surface of this quagmire. My biggest fear now is that she will start a new press, perhaps using someone else as a frontman (which is the rumor currently) and will rope in still more authors.

Having worked in bankruptcy law for four years prior to starting law school, this is something of a hot button issue for me. Being an author and editor, it gets under my skin even further. I have seen many people over the years who know how to manipulate the system. In the past year since I've been a published author, I have seen unethical publishers continue to draw in naive, inexperienced new authors because those of us who know about the bad behavior don't talk about it enough. There's this awful fear of being labeled a "troublemaker" or a liar, or making enemies. I would like to change that. I would much rather make a few enemies for "being a bitch" than watch a new generation of authors fall prey to bad publishers. I don't want that on my conscience.

So I thank you for speaking out, for helping to spread the word. If more of us did so, the bad apples would have fewer opportunities to plant their seeds.

-KJ"

Oh, and this is Heather talking again...http://whois.domaintools.com/satinrougepress.com is the domain in question.

Posted by HS Kinn on August 28, 2007 - Tuesday at 2:35 PM
[Reply to this]

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Totally blindsided by this. I was on vacation and its getting messy. I know this is how the business often works, but I was faithful to my publisher. I just want my payments and rights back. Here we go again.

Sounds very messy, and confused. See what you have on Sept. 1, then you might want to consult a lawyer. My condolences, and here's wishing you the best of luck, Kristin. :Hug2:

LilB

It's more messy than I can say.

Hello, all.
I just registered here because I wanted to throw in my .02.

My name is Lili and I was a proofer for MGP. Unpaid and likely to be that way (from them anyway) forever now.
I'm going to add my name to the list of people with an asset, though I don't know how much good it'll do. Probably none.

I wanted to comment on some of the things I've been hearing, esp the plagiarism charges. I have no idea if it's true or not, but based on the brouhaha, I am aware there may be something to it.
I'm an editor and proofer for several companies, started this year and am trying to build up a business doing it, even going so far as to go back to school.
I don't want to wind up with a stain on my reputation over this debacle, but may have unknowingly proofed non-original books.
To any authors I've worked with, MGP or otherwise, I just want you and the community to be aware I would never knowingly plagiarize someone's work or help it to be done.

The first company I worked for as a proofer, I still work for and am working with them to be sure nothing was plagiarized from them, as are several other proofers who worked with both companies.

All my best, I'm glad to be here!

Lil

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Glad you're here. Hopefully you can put your bad experience behind you.

And thanks for adding your 2 cents.

~Nancy

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'd be surprised if Mardi Gras actually files for bankruptcy, despite what they may be claiming at the moment...very often such a claim is simply a way to try and get people off their backs. It's a lot easier in situations like this for the publisher simply to fade away (or start up under a new name), especially if most of their creditors are authors who are less likely than businesses to take legal action to get paid.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
For what it's worth, unless I'm reading that Whois entry wrong, it looks as if the Satin Rouge domain was registered in August of 2006 (and expires in August 2008). So it's definitely not new, and wasn't created in response to anything recent. It looks more like it was an attempt to "park" the domain -- maybe in case they wanted a separate page for the Satin Rouge books or maybe in case they wanted to protect that name from cyberpoaching.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed, Satin Rouge was intended as an imprint *of* MGP as far as I know. So even when there is trouble you can over generalise.

Last I checked the website was down and MGP is clearly now an ex-publisher that has ceased to be.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
This may sound foolish, but does anyone know what the mortality rate for epublishers is?

I can see people falling into the 'any idiot with a computer should be able to do this' trap, only to have things quickly get out of hand. And those are just the honest ones.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Former authors should also note Dear Author's recent post re: books still listed under the Mardi Gras name.