• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Maple Leaf Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

suemillard

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you encountered a setup called Maple Leaf Publishing? I have received an email from them today that reads thus:

<<Dear Susan “Sue” Millard,

I hope you are doing well. I have been calling your number XXXXXX XXXXX [correct phone number] since last week and I’m always having * hard time reaching you.

I am Joe Levine, a Senior Book Publicist. We in Maple Leaf Publishing Incorporated are dedicated towards helping authors explore new audiences and open* more opportunities for new market. Your book was highly recommended to us by one of our literary book scouts there* in the US. We have discovered that your book (Scratch - Sequel to Against the Odds) * in one of the recently concluded events in United States. We have considered your book’s relatable content and potential through a series of evaluation* to make sure your book goes out to the right audience who are receptive to your topic and through the right approach.

We all know in the US- * There's lot* of publishers but there's also millions of books that’s* available. Huge competition. Right? However in Canada-* there's a lot of publishers, *investors that are looking for great new titles,* the demand is very high, but sadly there are only few authors and books that’s* available.

Our company would like to invest*, endorse and represent your book to the upcoming '2019 Toronto Book Festival’. We would like to help you endorse your book to Canadian Publishers, thousands of Readers, and the publishing industry as a whole. >>

Every * I've put in the text above marks something that strikes me as illiterate. Do you think this company might just want my money? (NB It has a Facebook page with two 5 star reviews. Two.)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Just on first feel (and admittedly no other research), I'd be HIGHLY suspicious of this one:

1) Why were they trying to call you for first contact (to try high-pressure sales?)?
2) Literary Book Scouts? What the heck are these and how do you get that job?
3) How can they make sure your book goes out to the right audience?
4) If your book is already published, why would they try to interest other publishers in your book?
5) Have you seen or heard of the Toronto Book Festival? Does it look like a venue where if YOU were there, you could interest people in your book? Does it look like the place where someone who's only vaguely acquainted with your book could effectively promote it?
5) We saw the Publish America and Strategic Book Publishing booths at BEA several years ago. Basically, the authors wound up paying for the booths which were ignored for the most part. What is a publicist going to do at a Book Fair? The publishers do not look for books at an event like this, they're busy promoting their own stuff and readers are there for the freebies and to meet the authors.
6) I almost guarantee they're going to expect you to fork over money for this Book Festival.

I'm not saying book publicists don't have their place, but publicity ain't cheap. If they're hunting you down instead of you actively looking for them, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts there's definitely money in it for them. Not so much for you.

Last edited:

suemillard

Registered
Reaction score
There's a web site, with lots of publicity areas in the menus, but no hint of any costings or what services the company could actually offer.

Because I have self published since 2012 I know Scratch hasn't been featured at any "recently concluded" events in the USA (in fact none, as I am in Britain) and I don't need my book publicised to "publishers". Scratch is the most recent of my books and my ebook sales are already very healthy without their help.

They've responded on Facebook saying their email guys often have French or Spanish as their first language. I can understand French-speakers in Canada, but Spanish seems odd. In any case, my name and book title have been filled from database fields, so the email is pretty much a template so it ought not to have any individual errors.

I'm going to ask them a lot of awkward questions in public where everyone can see their answers. Thanks for adding to my list :evil Let's see how fast they block me. My gut feeling is that it's an elaborate scam.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In Canada, when I hear 'Maple Leaf' I immediately think, not of books, but of the meat-packing company, 'Maple Leaf Foods'. That's a well-known and respectable firm that probably have as much to do with publishing as these people. MLP seems to me more publicist than publisher.

From their website: "Our mission is to connect self-published authors to their target audience and publishers in Canada and around the world."

https://mapleleafpublishinginc.com/about-us/

As to the claim that Canada has a lot of publishers and a shortage of books and writers, ask the Canadian writers how that's going.

Also, I don't like the sound of 'investors' right up front, and from a publicist. Unless that's why they want previously published books?

And, for non-Canadians: Alberta is not exactly a literary hotspot in Canada, and Red Deer is not the center of that non-hotspot. It's a nice little city, but Edmonton is the capital, and Calgary is the largest city.
In their favour, they appear to have actual offices, in an actual office building, rather than someone's basement.
So, while most publicity can probably be done on-line, actually getting out to book events is going to be expensive and cumbersome.
Why do I suspect that the burden of 'expensive' is going to fall on the author?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

suemillard

Registered
Reaction score
Philippines-based fits right in the the profile of reviews on FB and the language skills of the person emailing me as "Joe Levine". He must have been onto my Facebook page and seen the discussion there over whether this is a scam, because he's emailed me overnight assuring me it's "not a scam, you can be sure of that" (yeah right) and sending me a photo of the company's certificate of incorporation (another Yeah Right... I have done such paperwork myself and I know anyone can set up a company with minimal information and cost!) The original email had the logos of reputable organisations in its footer, such as the Association of Canadian Publishers, but when you search the ACP site for publishers, Maple Leaf is not listed.

Thanks for the link - I will read it and stick it on my FB discussion.

Sue

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
However in Canada-* there's a lot of publishers, *investors that are looking for great new titles,* the demand is very high, but sadly there are only few authors and books that’s* available.

Our company would like to invest*, endorse and represent your book to the upcoming '2019 Toronto Book Festival’. We would like to help you endorse your book to Canadian Publishers

As frimble points out, ask a Canadian creative about this. NO there are very few Canadian publishers, the ones we have are small by US standards and none are lacking Author submissions. Also, very important to the existence of Can Publishers are the various big money arts grants government agencies give out yearly. The grants are, in large part, based on the pub working with mostly Canadian Authors. So while they do publish SOME writers (and Illustrators) from the US, they work with far more Canadians (and most state this in their submission guidelines)

And good on you Donna for remembering having seen MLP in Victoria's article! :)

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving