• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Hustler

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

LloydBrown

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
1,749
Reaction score
196
Location
Jacksonville, Florida
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
jdkiggins said:
Moving this to Bewares and Background checks. I think you may get more of a response there. ;)

Actually, I'm surprised no one touched this one. Somebody mentioned them not too long ago, wondering if it was a credit worth mentioning or if the magazine's focus would detract from the list of credits. The usual crowd jumped in and said 'by all means, list it.'

If you have a viable work, I would recommend it.
 

Hannah

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
305
Reaction score
27
I was once contacted to do some editorial photography for them once (nothing naked), and I turned it down. I hope to be a serious journalist someday, and I didn't want that credit to come back and bite me in the backside. :popcorn:
 

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
539
Location
Seattle, WA
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Hannah said:
I was once contacted to do some editorial photography for them once (nothing naked), and I turned it down. I hope to be a serious journalist someday, and I didn't want that credit to come back and bite me in the backside. :popcorn:

The photographers for Hustler, Playboy, etc have the reputation for being some of the best in the world. I strongly suspect it would've done more good for your career than bad.
 

Hannah

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
305
Reaction score
27
XThe NavigatorX said:
The photographers for Hustler, Playboy, etc have the reputation for being some of the best in the world. I strongly suspect it would've done more good for your career than bad.


That was one year ago, and I'm confident that I did the right thing. :)
 

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,726
Reaction score
2,902
Location
right here
Website
www.veinglory.com
Any particular reason working for a lad mag is going to cause career death? After all if you are going for a job with someone uptight you can always leave it off the c.v.
 

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
668
Reaction score
59
Location
New to Portland, OREGON
A byline in a national/international publication is going to be good for your career, not matter what the publication is ...

unless the byline is for an article entitled "Bestiality -- and Why I Love It"
(or something along those lines).:horse:

If the topic of the article is something a bit more respectable, I think it can only help your career to have "Hustler" on your list of credits -- for one, your c.v. will certainly make more of an impression on any possible future employer! Heck, even more so if you're female!

Of course, if you disapprove of "Hustler" and magazines of that ilk, then you should certainly place principle above all else ...
 

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
1,135
Reaction score
299
Stephen King wrote about a haunted word processor for Playboy long ago.
 

Hannah

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
305
Reaction score
27
smallthunder said:
A byline in a national/international publication is going to be good for your career, not matter what the publication is ...

unless the byline is for an article entitled "Bestiality -- and Why I Love It"
(or something along those lines).:horse:

If the topic of the article is something a bit more respectable, I think it can only help your career to have "Hustler" on your list of credits -- for one, your c.v. will certainly make more of an impression on any possible future employer! Heck, even more so if you're female!

Of course, if you disapprove of "Hustler" and magazines of that ilk, then you should certainly place principle above all else ...


Interestingly enough, two months after that call, I got a call from a Walt Disney Subsidiary :)

I'm new to writing, but not new to photography. And no, I would not want my name next to a photograph in Hustler magazine, since you asked.
 

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
668
Reaction score
59
Location
New to Portland, OREGON
Hannah said:
Interestingly enough, two months after that call, I got a call from a Walt Disney Subsidiary :)

I'm new to writing, but not new to photography. And no, I would not want my name next to a photograph in Hustler magazine, since you asked.

I'm not sure I'm following you here -- how was the Disney call linked to the "Hustler" opportunity? Or do you mean to say that you wouldn't have gotten the Disney call if you had done the "Hustler" work?

In any case, congratulations on being considered by such big-name publications!

I am with you regarding "Hustler" -- no way I would want to have my name associated with that magazine. Unless it has changed over the years, it's just pure "raunch." "Playboy," on the other hand, has some good articles & short stories. Just wish they hadn't decided to change the lay-out and adopt the "USAToday" trend of short/bullet-type writing...
 

Hannah

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
305
Reaction score
27
The photo community is pretty small, and word would get out eventually. Everybody knows what everybody else is doing.
 

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
6,561
Reaction score
1,205
Location
smack dab in the middle of nowhere
Website
astonwest.com
Hannah said:
Interestingly enough, two months after that call, I got a call from a Walt Disney Subsidiary :)

Unless things have changed since I last checked, Miramax was somehow related to Disney. Considering the types of films Miramax has come out with in the past (Pulp Fiction, for one), I don't know if Disney would really mind...

But I wouldn't sign up for a credit in such magazines either. I can just imagine explaining about my "big news" at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner...
 

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
5,036
Reaction score
858
Location
Virginia
Website
anotherealm.com
Use a different name. Publications, such as Hustler, tend to be discreet and not reveal true identities. Some of the work I've had published in "discreet" publications paid quite well and promptly. What's more, the same writings they purchased from me were equally capable of being accepted in family-oriented publications, so sometimes it's just a matter of who's willing to pay better. Still, I published under another name with them.
 

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
46,367
Reaction score
12,303
Location
Leather Chair
DaveKuzminski said:
Use a different name. Publications, such as Hustler, tend to be discreet and not reveal true identities. Some of the work I've had published in "discreet" publications paid quite well and promptly. What's more, the same writings they purchased from me were equally capable of being accepted in family-oriented publications, so sometimes it's just a matter of who's willing to pay better. Still, I published under another name with them.
Dave, are you saying that the classic "A Sale of Two Titties" was yours?

Maryn, who sometimes can't resist (and who actually received the above-named book at her bridal shower)
 

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
5,036
Reaction score
858
Location
Virginia
Website
anotherealm.com
Maryn said:
Dave, are you saying that the classic "A Sale of Two Titties" was yours?

Maryn, who sometimes can't resist (and who actually received the above-named book at her bridal shower)

Nope, but damn that sounds like an interesting title. ;)
 

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
11,724
Reaction score
2,085
Website
peterdamien.com
I think it would make a BIG book. Probably two volumes. :D
 

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
13,737
Reaction score
1,585
Location
Coastal Desert
*snerk*

In consideration of our younger viewers, I'm gonna make y'all Google it yerself to get their sub info. :e2brows:

Oh, and be sure your adware/pop-up blocker is updated.
 

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving