• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Extreme Southeast Georgia

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I found these guys in the writers wanted paying markets section. Has anyone submitted to them? Are they legit? I have a great idea for a fake news article (which what they were asking for) but I don't want to go to the trouble to do it if they aren't legit. All they have listed is an e-mail address at yahoo. . .

Any info appreciated.

Oh, and here's the link to the original post on the subject:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48466

Thanks,

Eric

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Not much, I know, but I'm not so worried over that. Right now, I'm unpublished and trying to do as many different things as I can to get paid publishing credits, wherever they come from. Just want to know if they're legit (also if they let you retain rights after initial publication since I have an idea for a second run venue for the same fake article).

Eric

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
VPX
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They look like a startup. They're probably the only ones who can answer your question about rights.

They put a similar ad over here: http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113558 and
http://www.freelancewriting.com/for...94d86387cc11464227d008d67c&topic=2985.msg9275

where again in each case it's their first and only post.

Might your story fit in any magazine that you've heard of, where you can find sample copies? A story that's publishable one place is publishable in many.

I'd wait for their first issue to come out before I considered this a market. But, if you have something that'll fit, and you don't mind rolling the dice, you could ask them about rights. If you keep the rights (and there's no way in heck I'd sell all rights for a penny a word) and have another market in mind, give 'em a reasonable time to publish after you sell your story to them, then submit it to the next market.

Do try to get payment on acceptance, not payment on publication. Clarify what the byline will be. Find out when they expect the first issue to come out. And try to get them to send you an author's copy when it's printed, too.

Last edited:

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I'll drop them an e-mail.

Eric

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually from Southeast Georgia originally and I must say, this publication sounds familiar. While we were home for the holidays, I picked up a magazine that fits this description to a T and may have even been one of theirs'. I remember it as being quite funny in that Weekly World News 'My Cat is a Reincarnation of Hitler" way. If I still have it, I'll check, but I think I may have already thrown them away.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of them. I'm in Metro ATL but travel all over Georgia, specifically the southeast.

J.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If they ever materialized, there's nothing left of them now but remnants of their spam campaign for submissions.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving