Mad's 2020 Countdown Thread

MadAboutWriting

Registered
Reaction score
December 23rd- Through the Storm

Light dances along the ship's hull. It marks a haphazard path as it follows warps and grooves in the metal before finally pooling in a small hollow. It builds in intensity until it shines like a star.

"Fire!" The Captain roars and the light leaps from the hollow, cutting through the empty void of space and crashing into the shield of a pursuing vessel. The light splinters in a thousand streams as it streaks across the invisible barrier.

"No damage," Quarter calls out from his console. "We're not giving the ship enough time to charge the shots, Captain."

"Better to fire than being fired at," the Captain growls. As if on cue, the Valkry shudders as a warhead strikes its unprotected flank. "Damnit, where did that come from?!"

Quarter's talons click on the screen of his console as he answers. "We've fallen into the range of their support ship." He looks over his shoulder at the Captain, his black eyes betraying no emotion. "We can't run forever, Captain."

"We don't have to," the Captain retorts. He points towards the bow of the ship. Stretching out like an endless canvas before the Valkry is a swirling cosmic storm; a veritable maelstrom of chaotic solar winds, space dust, and miles-long bolts of lightning. The Captain drops his hand. "Either they follow us in and get ripped apart or they stay put and we leave them behind us."

"Or we get fried to crisp," Mantis quips in a deadpan as she enters the bridge. "You do realize people don't come out of places like that, right?" She asks as she passes the Captain to join Quarter at his station.

The Captain folds his arms over his chest. "The Valkry has taken worse," He retorts. Then, to Quarter, he gives the command, "Hard to starboard and pray to whatever gods you bugs believe in. We sail into the storm."

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the board and welcome to the countdown challenge, better late than never!

Hey I liked that, a good piece of space opera with a firefight in progress, a rugged captain and a fun, possibly insect, crew. Some folks continue writing the same story over several posts, if you've a mind to keep going with this one.

Weirdly, reader comments during the challenge are sent via reputation comments (the little star icon you see at the bottom of posts) so as not to interrupt the flow of the thread, I guess. I thought I better reply normally just to let you know.

-Derek

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And to read your rep comments, you can go to notifications (it should tell you you have at least 1) or settings, which are at the top righthand corner of any AW page

MadAboutWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Is that what those are? I was driving myself mad trying to figure out what those were! Thanks for pointing it out. XD