• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lyrical Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I do agree with veinglory. A publisher with an established following is the safest bet. But michael_b is also correct. An author can create their own 'following' usually through a secondary sales site--All Romance e-books, fictionwise--and I also agree the flavor du jour is a big selling point.

Apparently none of the Siren/Bookstrand authors have reported to veinglory's site, but I know not that long ago a m/m/m/f sold a thousand copies the first week of release. My contemporary there? Not a tenth of that in the first month.:Shrug: Yet, my short, quirky contemps with Wild Rose Press do quite well. Again,:Shrug:

@AngelaA...Google, see who comes up. I could guess at half the top twenty, but even among those, I know many authors who have had mixed reaction to various things they've published.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Well, the revision was sent on Thursday night and I have a firm rejection today. Ouch, that really hurts.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Well, the revision was sent on Thursday night and I have a firm rejection today. Ouch, that really hurts.

Well if you're interested in smaller pubs, Shadowfire Press is open to submissions. If you want to try the bigger houses, I can cheerfully recommend Loose-id and Liquid Silver as good publishers to work with.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com

Sorry to read that, Angela. I'm glad to see from your previous posts that it's been a great learning experience. Doesn't help the immediate pain, I know, but as wannawrite addressed, that's what chocolate is for. Once that miracle product does its thing, then you can feel good about what you've learned and carry the knowledge forward to help with future queries. Or novels.

Keep at it,
kap

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
@AngelaA...Google, see who comes up. I could guess at half the top twenty, but even among those, I know many authors who have had mixed reaction to various things they've published.

I actually googled 'erotic romance ebook publisher' and the top hits were all self publishing companies, mostly from places you wouldn't want to use.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Thanks for the recommendations Michael B...I've gotten a lot of interest in this ms over the past year. When one rejection comes in another request for the full follows shortly behind. The biggest problem though is that it doesn't have an HEA which seems to be the standard requirement for many publishers. I guess I'm just going to have to pay for breaking the rules right? Oh well. On to the next project!

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
I actually googled 'erotic romance ebook publisher' and the top hits were all self publishing companies, mostly from places you wouldn't want to use.

Interesting, Michael. I apologize for the misdirection.

Sorry about the R, Angela. I'll second Michael's suggestion, Liquid Silver has been great to work with and so has Siren/BookStrand. Wild Rose Press, too, but they probably aren't considered as 'established' as a few of the others. I know lots of happy Loose-id and Samhain authors as well.

Author Cathy Clamp (mod in the romance/women's fiction) has put together a terrific list you can find here:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19454

Good luck!

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Author Cathy Clamp (mod in the romance/women's fiction) has put together a terrific list you can find here:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19454

Good luck!

That list is badly out of date. There are several publishers listed there that have been out of business for some time (By Grace and Marti Gras for instance though they aren't the only ones), and a number of newer publishers who aren't listed. Also Linden Bay was purchased by Samhain as I recall and there are some publishers listed who aren't doing right by their authors. (New Concepts from what I've heard is to be avoided.)

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
That list is badly out of date. There are several publishers listed there that have been out of business for some time (By Grace and Marti Gras for instance though they aren't the only ones), and a number of newer publishers who aren't listed. Also Linden Bay was purchased by Samhain as I recall and there are some publishers listed who aren't doing right by their authors. (New Concepts from what I've heard is to be avoided.)

As the list stands, at least it is a starting point for newbies. I'd PM Cathy C or post in the thread with whatever fresh info you have, Michael_b. I know Cathy is all about keeping the list updated and helping writers find a home, but with her job and book releases, I'm sure she doesn't have the time to keep up with every new development in the market.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Okay, guys, I told you I would keep you updated, and I just got the new today...I sold to Lyrical!

Renee just offered me a contract on Demon Heart. I wrote her back and babbled something really, really inane at her....but the point is....

I SOLD!

I am so excited. I need to go sit down. Oops. I already am. :)

Wow.

This feels even better than I thought it would.

Gonna go try and calm down, now. Just wanted to keep you all updated!

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
.......This feels even better than I thought it would.

Gonna go try and calm down, now. Just wanted to keep you all updated!

WTG!!! I got such a BIG smile out of your post!!!:D

Do the happy dance then celebrate!!!!:snoopy:

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, wannawrite :)

take care,
Annette

Carmilla

Living one book at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizstrange.com
Just wanted to add my two cents worth here. I have recieved an offer from Lyrical press, and have had my contract reviewed by a lawyer. My correspondence with Renee has been prompt, kind and very professional. I don't foresee any probems in working through my contract.

I am excited about working with Lyrical press. They are obviously dedicated and knowledgable and very supportive of their authors. I see great things in the future for this publisher.

Last edited:

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Congrats all.

My wounds are licked and I've moved on...revision request from another publisher, very promising...in fact, told me that she would offer a contract if I give her a synopsis of the changes I'm willing to make. I'll let you all know once I have something more concrete.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Congrats to wannawrite and Carmilla. You'll like it at Lyrical.
I just got through my edits with Lyrical and it went really well. Waiting now for my cover. my novel, What Happened to Anna? will be out Oct 5th.

Carmilla

Living one book at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizstrange.com
Congrats to wannawrite and Carmilla. You'll like it at Lyrical.

Thanks Jennifer. I appreciate the support

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving