• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lotus Lane Literary LLC

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/priyadoraswamy/

http://www.lotuslit.com/

Looks like a new agency, can't tell you more as their website, such pages as exist, is in Latin!
Anyone know anything more?

I have no info, but I just wanted to note that the text on the website isn't really true Latin. It's nonsensical placeholder text often used by designers for mockups. (see Lorem ipsum) My guess is that someone let the website out into the public prematurely.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Priya Doraswamy of Lotus Lane a full on 6/4. We had a telephone conversation yesterday in which she offered representation. I've done a ton of research on her (both before and after submitting) and she has many solid sales.

Her contract seems standard, but I plan to have a lawyer friend look over it. Our conversation was really wonderful. I was so nervous, but she put me at ease rather quickly. She just seems to "get" my book...if that makes any sense at all. I'm really excited about the oportunity to work with her, and I hope it works out!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Noblin!

Would you mind sharing how you did the "chapter breakdown" that she wants on her website? Thanks!

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news!

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit--I didn't send a chapter breakdown. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't, except to say it was a 3 a.m. query (I have a 2 year old, so writing/querying/research generally takes place when the kid is asleep) so my bleary eyes must have missed it. I sent the bio, synopsis, and the sample chapters. She then asked for the full ms a week or so later.

jasonluthor

Registered
Reaction score
New guy here, just thought I'd add some volume to this thread.

Queried Lotus Lit on 8/1 with a query letter, 3 sample chapters and a chapter breakdown.

Someone asked about the chapter breakdown. I just included the name and title, and summarized the chapter in about 5 sentences.

I heard back from her on 8/5 asking me for the full manuscript, mailed it on 8/6, then heard back from her on 8/9 saying she had just gotten in from out of country and would begin reading it and get back to me soon. So now I'm in that stomach rumbling waiting stage.

Oh and hello forum.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They seem decent enough to send. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

Good luck, Jason!

jasonluthor

Registered
Reaction score
From the interactions I've had, she seems incredibly nice and courteous.

And thank you. If this isn't the book that gets to market, I don't know what is.

MJ ONeill

In the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I queried on 7-30 with my first three chapters and synopsis. Like Noblin, I didn't send the chapter breakdown either. She requested a full the next day. I had another offer a few days later and let her know. She went out of her way to manage getting me read while traveling.

I accepted her offer of representation today. She's fabulous and I'm extremely excited. Good luck to everyone who is still out.

jasonluthor

Registered
Reaction score
Received followup this morning asking if I was still seeking representation. Hope that's a good sign.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with this agency? The seem, from their website, to represent more persons of colour and multi-cultural settings than white people. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that (!), but being white, that gives me pause.

I don't like the idea of a chapter breakdown, either. It's different and has different purposes to synopses, but a chapter-by-chapter is, in my opinion, rather arbitrary. Hmm.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Part of the reason you're seeing more people of color is because she was working with a primarily Indian base with Jacaranda Literary. However, she accepts ms from everyone--I'm a little white girl from Missouri.

Also, Priya is legit. She just sold my book to HarperCollins. It will be published as a William Morrow trade paperback in 2015. I am beside myself with excitement. She is an amazing agent, and I'm so lucky to have her.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Part of the reason you're seeing more people of color is because she was working with a primarily Indian base with Jacaranda Literary. However, she accepts ms from everyone--I'm a little white girl from Missouri.

Thanks for the input. Little white girls unite!

She just sold my book to HarperCollins. It will be published as a William Morrow trade paperback in 2015. I am beside myself with excitement. She is an amazing agent, and I'm so lucky to have her.

Congrats, NoblinGoblin, that's amazing! What genre is your book?

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com

Also, Priya is legit. She just sold my book to HarperCollins. It will be published as a William Morrow trade paperback in 2015. I am beside myself with excitement. She is an amazing agent, and I'm so lucky to have her.

Congrats, NoblinGoblin! That's SOOOO exciting!!!! :D

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks, you all! The book is called Stay, and it is women's fiction. It's about a woman in her mid-20's who inherits a house in the Delta of Arkansas and moves there after her boyfriend is murdered in Chicago.

There are cute farmers, sex, drugs, and maybe a little rock 'n' roll!

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
I see that they request a "brief synopsis"; does that mean just a couple paragraphs, or does that mean 1-2 pages? I feel like a synopsis usually means a multi-page endeavor but in this case, as there's also the requirement for the chapter breakdown, I'm wondering if Lotus Lane wants less than that.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Did any of you hear anything back from Priya?

Just wanted to give an update--my book comes out October 1st via William Morrow. It's now titled, Sit! Stay! Speak! (There are lots of dogs in the book, haha.)