Looking for examples of memoirs online

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been working on an outline on an memoir for the past few months now. All the information is drawn out for the most part. The bits that I don't have so far I'll fill in as I go.
This WIP is about my life from a kid up to this point. I am not really worried about selling a lot of this book. That's why I am going to pay to get it self published. I just want to test the waters to see if writing books is what I am meant to do. It's strange I'm sure to some people out there. I just need to know for sure if this is what I want to do before I invest a lot of time and energy coming up with an original idea first.
So to the point of the reason why I decided to create this thread. I have gotten to the point where I want to start on the first draft of this WIP. After thinking about it a few days I realized that every thing I came up with sounds like every same old boring start of an autobiography or memoir out there. I am a firm believer in the idea that if you are going to write a book then you need to start off strong. If the beginning is weak then why should the reader continue reading on. So what I am asking is if there is any memoirs online that I can read for free that anyone knows about. You can pm the links to me or post them in this thread either way is fine. I just want to take a look at a couple to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't. I don't have the time to be able to go to the local library to check out books so online is the only options I have at this point. I prefer average joes over famous people. How ever I'll take links to any memoirs I can get my hands on. At the end of the day either one will help me with what I want to work on.
Thanks a lot to anyone that tries to help me with this thread I really appreciate it.
thanks
the iron man

trumpetology

Registered
Reaction score
Check the syw section. Many people post their first chapters. Also look at google books. And then check querytracker forums "first five pages" section.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can also go into Amazon, click on "Books," then type in "memoir" and scroll down past the celebrities, find one that sounds interesting, and click on "Look Inside."

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for getting back so fast. i really do appreciate the time and effort it took to respond back to me. I will have to try out the suggestions when I get more time.
thanks
the iron man