• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta / Critique partners

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to writing romance and am looking to find some beta readers or critique partners for my novel. Can any of you recommend a place to meet other writers looking for the same?
Thanks!
Courtney

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this to the Beta Reader sub-forum.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pardon my bluntness, but this request isn't sitting well with me.

You want critique partners, but don't appear to have done any critique here for others, at least not since we moved servers.

You want critique partners, but you haven't posted your work at the appropriate SYW board for critique. No potential partner has a clue what your skill level might be.

You want beta readers, but you haven't replied to anyone else's thread seeking a beta reader offering your own time and expertise.

Every writer here would like other writers to help make their writing the best it can be. That's why most joined in the first place. By the time they're no longer new, though, the members understand this is a community in which we both give and receive help.

I hope you'll get offers for what you want to receive, but giving first greatly increases your chances.

Maryn, not the most popular person

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to writing romance and am looking to find some beta readers or critique partners for my novel. Can any of you recommend a place to meet other writers looking for the same?
Thanks!
Courtney
Hi Courtney,

I don't read romance but I do recall seeing you around before. That avatar. It's Don Quixote? In my mind it is. In grad school, my husband and I used to sing "To defend ... the indefensible thesis."

I suggest posting on the facebook groups Beta Readers and Critique Partners, as well as ...ummm, oh there's another one. Beta readers and critiques. Also Sub It Club Critique Partner Match Up.

I would be a horrible beta reader for romance. You'd end up with two angry characters doing the nasty, and incorrectly somehow. LOL.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks!
Courtney
I like your avatar.

I don't know much about boards other than Absolute Write, so I can only speak to this one.

My suggestion is to critique a whole heap of romance stories/novel starts in Share Your Work (romance), so that potential beta partners can see what your current critique style/skill level is (and see that you are an active, contributing member of the forum). Then post your own opening 600 - 1200 words in Share Your Work and ask for critiques in return, so that potential beta partners can see what your writing style/subgenre/skill level is. You can put into that post that you are looking for beta readers. People will critique your story and you can get an idea of which critiquers will mesh with you and vice versa.

Myself, I've volunteered to beta read dozens of novels over the years here on AW, but never from someone whose opening pages I haven't read and never ever for someone who hasn't been actively critiquing other people's work.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I have done critiques but they've mostly been on writing queries, synopses, first pages, etc. since I was originally going the traditional route. And you're right, I haven't done much since AW moved servers. I just got out of the habit while it was offline and am hoping to do more.
I'll take a look at the sharing work board.
That avatar. It's Don Quixote?
Yes. It is! One of my favorite Picasso's. I used to teach art. :)

• Love
Reactions: Woollybear

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I very much like your attitude. Look forward to seeing you at SYW. You got this, right? Right.

Reactions: Girlsgottawrite