Website
www.estheravila.com
Emotesnoopy.gif
That's great, Anne and Joanne

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Wow I'm sorry I missed this Joanne when you posted it. I'm very happy for you. SoS shall live on.
Great job Jo'

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
aka eraser said:
Well done Jo!

Time flies eh? I was one of those emailers when I first read the essay years ago. :)
Yes, you were, Frank. And I still have the e-mail. ;)

Thanks, Vanessa, Anne, X, September, Amy, and CC.
Let's hope it boosts a bit of sales from the western part of PA. :)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Just got this from Carolyn Howard-Johnson, who is going to put the review on Amazon. Many e-zines pick up her reviews, too, so it could appear far and wide. :)

--
Time goes by quickly and though it is well past headline time for New Orleans and Katrina, revisiting stories that can only come from disaster is always heartwarming and inspirational. The ones in "Stories of Strength" are especially so because it is full of stories (and poems) that could stand on their own in the best of literary journals -- many by authors I know, many by authors I know of.

Editor Jenna Glatzer is a favorite of mine. I feel obligated to reveal that so this review will not appear to be what it isn't. I have enjoyed her children's stories and her how-to books for writers (do search her name on Amazon and review her veritable catalog of books!). So it is not surprising--knowing what I do about her--that she would tackle an anthology like this.

Still, I was constantly reminded of her skills and the craft of those authors she selected for this book.

I loved that the mini-bios of the writers came directly after their stories or poems. That is a convenience for the curious reader.

I loved that she mixed the talents of emerging writers like Cynthianna Appel with those of seasoned ones like Orson Scott Card (a writer from my home state of Utah).

I was thrilled that she didn't neglect poetry in favor of stories.

I liked that she didn't skimp on the size of the book (for that tends to be a trend in these hurried days).

And mostly, I found it amazing that she found so much quality so quickly after a disaster.

By all means, it is not too late to read this one and all proceeds benefit disaster relief charities.

Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Award-winning author of everything from a chapbook of poetry to a book of creative nonfiction to a literary novel

Carolyn Howard-Johnson, Author
THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER:
HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T,

Winner USA Book News' "Best Professional Book 2004"
#1 Bestselling E-book at Star Publish.
Purchase the paperback at
http://www.amazon.com/.
Learn more at: http://www.tlt.com/authors/carolynhowardjohnson.htm

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad it's still hovering out there. :) Great review!

I find Stories of Stregth timeless in it's own way. It was kind of fortuitous that we couldn't specify a specific disaster on the cover. Katrina may have passed but, it's sad to say, there'll be another one sometime in the future. I hope SOS keeps chugging along and helping others. That would be my wish. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.