Look, Ma! We're in the Media! Author appearances & such

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that we are starting to get interviewed, I thought it would be good both for ourselves and for visitors to the forum to have a place where they could see where we are appearing on TV, radio, in newspapers or in person.

This thread is being linked to from outside so that others such as LULU can monitor where we are appearing, so in the interest of keeping this thread nice and clean, please post your Stories of Strength-related itineraries, nothing else, so that folks persusing here will see only a listing of author appearances, interviews, etc.

As we go along, please add anything new to your original post rather than starting a new one. Include web links when available.

Thanks, y'all!

Stories of Strength itinerary for: C. Montgomery Stuart

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thursday, December 8, 2005

• Appeared on CFCN Television, CTV network affiliate in Calgary Alberta Canada, "News At Noon." Four-and-a-half minute segment.

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
If I cannot find at least one other author to accompany me for a talk at Borders in Fairfield, CT, it will not happen. They will accomodate "us" w/ whatever we choose as a convenient date. They will buy more SOS books for this event-if it happens.

Please help.

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK Charlie - following your format (cuz I like it so much)! ;)

Stories of Strength itinerary for: Debbie Burton-Peddle

Thurs. Nov 10/05

Phone interview airing on 590 VOCM Radio in St. John's, NL, CAN at 7:45 am and 1:00 pm (eastern time) www.vocm.com

Fri. Dec 2/05

Newspaper interview with The Express at 1:00 p.m. www.theexpress.ca

Fri. Dec 2/05

Newspaper interview with The Telegram at 2:00 p.m
www.thetelegram.com

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Itinerary for Jenna Glatzer and General Media Appearances for Stories of Strength
  • Saturday, Nov. 12th, 2 p.m. Pacific. KCLU 88.3 in Ventura County & 102.3 in Santa Barbara County, CA. On the web: www.kclu.org. Fran Halpern, host. Appearing on the show: Jennifer Lawler, Robert Villanueva, and me!
  • Joshua C. Johnson of the Plano Star Courier just wrote to Meryl K. Evans, Jamie Engle, and me to let us know he'd like to interview us (and photograph them!) for a feature article on Stories of Strength.
  • http://girlondemand.blogspot.com/ plans to review the book this Friday.
  • Cool! I just got a mention in about SoS on an interview with Steve & Rick of "The Breakfast Club" talk show on WAMD in Aberdeen, MD, to air tomorrow morning (Nov. 15).

Last edited:

JuliaRosien

Stories of Strenght Media Appearance -- Julia Rosien

Rogers Daytime Television - Southwestern Ontario
Friday December 2, 2005 -- 11 am

Julia Rosien | Senior Editor | [email protected]
ePregnancy Magazine | 519-489-2565 | 519-539-7712 f |

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Podcast and streaming Internet radio

11/11/05 2:20pm: And yet another update. Something at the station misfired and they were unable to funnel me to the show. We're aiming for next week - 11/18.

________

http://writeslikeshetalks.blogspot.com/2005/11/can-you-hear-me-now.html

Info on the podcast and Internet radio show for tomorrow is there. I'll be reading an entry from SOS on the air. :)To air live on Friday, 11/11/05 out of Cincinnati, available as a podcast and streaming Internet. Check blog for more info after recording.

(UPDATED blog link directly to post about podcast)

http://cincyradio.blogspot.com/2005/11/next-show-1-pm-friday-nov-11-live-on.html

Last edited:

CharmianChristie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charmian-christie.com
Stories of Strength Media Appearance - Charmian Christie

• Interviewed by The Guelph Mercury (Southern Ontario newspaper) along with Ruth Cooke and her daughter Ally, who also contributed stories. Photos taken of the authors and the cover of the books appears as well.

Article appeared in the Arts & Leisure section on Nov 24.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Stories of Strength Itinerary for September Skies - Esther Avila

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]
image001.gif
[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] Friday, November 25, 2005 [/font]
[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times][picture was here][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Author Esther Avila, a former nurse who lives in Historic Downtown Visalia, has written a story for a book that will benefit Katrina victims. [/font]
[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Christian Parley / The Fresno Bee[/font]
[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Book to help Katrina victims [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]South Valley author's work is published in a new anthology.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]By Valerie A. Avalos
Local writer Esther Avila is using her passion for writing to help benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]She's one of about 100 writers whose fiction and nonfiction short stories and poems are featured in the book "Stories of Strength." [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]All proceeds from the book will help Katrina survivors, Avila said.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The book, meant to inspire readers to beat the odds, is a product of AbsoluteWrite.com, where writers gathered days after the devastating hurricane hit New Orleans and surrounding areas and expressed through a message board how helpless they felt in offering assistance. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]"Some of the little towns hit by Katrina are just barely starting to get aid," Avila said. "It feels good to have written a story that could potentially help the people in this area. This is going to help a lot of people. That's our hope."[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The anthology project was suggested by editor Jenna Glatzer. She and the group of writers and volunteers eventually hope to raise $100,000 with the book. So far the book has pulled in $2,000,Glatzer said. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Writers hope consumers will buy the books as Christmas gifts for friends and family this year.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]"I figured that book sales could go on for years to come and keep donations rolling in to charities to help with disaster relief," Glatzer said. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]"This project belonged to all of us."[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The book is published by Lu Lu Inc. The company is donating its profits to Hurricane Katrina victims, as well, Avila said.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The 333-page book is available to purchase online for $15.95. Avila hopes Borders will soon carry copies of the book for local people to buy and to promote the book with book signings.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Some of the contributing writers are from all over the world. Some are longtime professional authors; others are being published for the first time. Hundreds of entries were submitted to Glatzer before she decided on the final 100 that would be in the book.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]This is Avila's first publication in a book, but she is an experienced freelance writer who has had articles printed in The Porterville Recorder and The South Valley Bee in Visalia. Avila formerly worked as a registered nurse but is focusing more on her writing now, she said.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The fictional story she wrote for "Stories of Strength" is about a young, developmentally disabled boy told through the eyes of his Sunday school teacher. [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The story, "Rafael's Gift," focuses on the boy's endurance. Doctors have told his single mother since his birth that he will not live long.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Rafael was born two months premature, blind and with a heart murmur, Avila wrote. He would never talk and possibly never walk, his doctors said. Yet Rafael proved his doctors wrong by learning to walk and living to the age of 11.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Though Rafael was a fictional character, the story was based on a young boy from Porterville; Avila wrote a story about him for The Recorder after he died about a year ago. Avila, who also has a developmentally disabled child, got to know his mother while doing the story but never met Rafael.[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]This story was published in The Porterville Recorder on November 16, 2005[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Hurricane anthology to aid victims [/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]By Joann Groff, The Porterville Recorder[/font]

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]A group of writers credit the heart-breaking hurricane images on the television screen and newspaper covers with what pushed them into action. Instead of sitting on the couch and watching or reading, they got in front of their computers and started writing.

The product? An anthology called “Stories of Strength,” composed of more than 100 pieces from writers all over the world. Essays, short fiction and poetry, all centering around the theme of strength, make up the 333-page book. [/font]

A hundred percent of the proceeds go to Katrina victims through disaster-relief charities, including the American Red Cross, Americares and The Salvation Army.

[font=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] Esther Avila, former Porterville Recorder reporter and a Visalia resident, is one of the writers whose work was chosen for “Stories of Strength.”

Avila submitted a fictional story based on her experience with her daughter, now 22, and a little boy, Rafael, she wrote a story about. Rafael died when he was 11.

“When I had originally interviewed Rafael's mother, I really bonded with her,” Avila said. “We had gone through so many of the same experiences. When Marisa was born, I was painted a very grim picture. I was told that she would never walk or talk and that she would most likely not live to be 12 years old. They said ‘take her home and love her. That's all you can do. This is a combination story about Rafael and Marisa.”

Avila was in Texas, observing the destruction caused by Hurricane Rita, when she got the news.

“I was very excited when I heard that my story had been chosen for the anthology,” Avila said. “It was kind of strange that the word came while I was out there. ... To get the call that my story had been picked, it was an amazing feeling. I was so glad that my love for writing could be used to help out others.”

Jenna Glatzer, editor of the anthology, commented on the change in times.

“The world seems like a callous place sometimes, with strangers cutting each other off in traffic, neighbors arguing about fence lines, and people fighting about everything from favorite sports teams to political views,” Glatzer said. “But things change in times of crisis. Almost instantly, we forget our pettiness and remember that we all belong to the human race ... And we long to help even when we don't have much to give.”

Glatzer said the book is a long-term plan for disaster relief in the Gulf Coast.

“If we could get enough compelling stories to fill a book, I figured, that book's sales could go on for years to come and keep donations rolling in to charities to help with disaster relief,” Glatzer wrote.

“My simple suggestion was met with amazing enthusiasm and we got to work immediately.”

Editors and graphic artists donated their time and skills, and the publisher, Lulu, offered to donate their profits from the book. Glatzer received literally hundreds of stories from people all over the world, including authors Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton and Robin Lee Hatcher.

After only 15 days, the group of writers joined by the AbsoluteWrite.com message boards, had raised more than $2,000 and sold 400 books.

“It's very exciting to be a part of something so big and so important,” Avila said.

“I am just so touched that I was able to help in some way.”

To purchase “Stories of Strength” go to www.storiesofstrength.com, amazon.com or ask for it at local bookstores.

[/font]

Last edited:

meryl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.meryl.net
JennaGlatzer said:
Itinerary for Jenna Glatzer and General Media Appearances for Stories of Strength

• Joshua C. Johnson of the Plano Star Courier just wrote to Meryl K. Evans, Jamie Engle, and me to let us know he'd like to interview us (and photograph them!) for a feature article on Stories of Strength.

The article was published on the front page of yesterday's paper (different photo than the one used here). Josh quoted all three of us. I was pleasantly surprised especially that it was on the front page and a long article.

Blogcritics.org is going to do a review. Will keep you posted.

I haven't told my dad (the person behind the story) about it yet as I just got my printed copies today! I'm at a loss for words to describe the stories I've read so far. I plan to give him his copy as a holiday gift... but don't know that I should wait that long especially when my parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary on Thanksgiving.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - because only earlier today I stumbled across blogcritics and sent an email to Eric Olsen - didn't know it was already in the pipeline!!! tee-hee!

Anyway I also contacted BookMaven2005 otherwise known as Bethanne Patrick, the Editor of AOL Books pages.

Ok Ok.. so while we are admitting the 'what we tried' I've also contacted the editor of The Sun Magazine (sort of a top quality chatty literary inspirational/uplifting magazine), and Craig Wilson, USA Today Columnist.

I'm also scratching my head how best (and who best) to contact The Good News Corporation but I'll figure it out ;-)

but WOOOOOOTTTTT blogcritics are going to do a review!!! Their reviews (I just learned today) are amazing!

Stories of Strength itinerary for: Alphabet (whoever that might be)

Thursday, November 24th, 2005
Ok, so now I can have my own stalker! Yay me!

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Posts that were lost in the transfer....

From Jenna:

Just a quick request: I'm printing out all the articles, reviews, etc. to include in our media kit.

(By the way, it's QUITE a media kit!! So impressive already.)

This is what I'm sending to the Barnes & Noble Small Press Department in another day or two, so please:

1. If articles/reviews have already appeared, please give links.
2. If you have knowledge of upcoming articles, interviews, or reviews, please give any details you know (name of paper, approximate run date, etc.).

From XNav:

Are you up really late or really early?

Anyway, I can't remember if either of these have appeared

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1125852.html

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.co.../511120313/1002

From Jenna:

Really late (as usual). Shoot me. I have a radio show in the morning... just took a sleeping pill and my brain is disintegrating.

From Kim Gogo:

I just had a telephone interview with a reporter from a local newspaper in my hometown of Kemptville, ON (just south of the Nation's Capital). The article should appear in the November 23rd edition of "The Kemptville Advance". http://www.runge.net/section7.php

kim

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
  • Interviewed by The Guelph Mercury (Southern Ontario newspaper) on Nov 10th.
    Story to appear Nov 11 or 12.
That article hasn't run yet, which is good, because the reporter has also interviewed me and Ally. Photo shoot with all three Guelph authors is tomorrow. More updates when we know the actual run date for the article.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu said:
That article hasn't run yet, which is good, because the reporter has also interviewed me and Ally. Photo shoot with all three Guelph authors is tomorrow. More updates when we know the actual run date for the article.

Excellent! If it is available online, let us know. If not, let me know when it runs and I'll see if my Ajax sister or my Oakville friends can pick a copy up.

kim

Sully

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marybroadbent.com
I was just interviewed over the phone for an article in this Sunday's Portsmouth Herald in New Hampshire. I will add the link when it appears online. Now I am full of nervous energy! What did I say??????

Mary

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Parkersburg News and Sentinel out of Parkersburg, WV has agreed to do an article, which will probably be printed a week from Friday. The reporter wants to feature both me and Linley (WVWriterGirl). They have an online edition, but I don't know if the story will make it there--I'll ask them.

(I tried to find the distribution/circulation numbers on the site, but they apparently don't have that info on the site, either.)

They won't be sending any photographers--we have to provide our own head shots. And I know this was previously discussed; where can I find a copy of the cover that they can print?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! If it is available online, let us know. If not, let me know when it runs and I'll see if my Ajax sister or my Oakville friends can pick a copy up.

Kim,

When I went into the Merc site the other day, the main articles were only available to subscribers. I think. I'll double check when the article does come out.

Photo shoot went well, even though Ally wasn't feeling all that great. All three of us will be in the picture at once. We did some shots with the book and some without, so we don't know if the book will make an appearance in the photo or not. Depends which one the editor chooses.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had my first author's appearance today!

Okay, it was at my grandma's house, but my presence was formally requested by one of my aunts. She bought three of the books--one for her and one for each of her grown kids--and she wanted me to sign them!

Turns out she collects books and tries to go to all the author signings she can. (And she's a fan of Robin Lee Hatcher, so that helped!)

Since she is well-versed in collecting book sigs, she was able to give me a few pointers. Another aunt is an artist, so she was able to provide me with the appropriate signing pen (which, in her opinion, is a Sharpie).

So I signed the books, and my artist aunt took pictures of my first book signing. Isn't that so sweet?

I come from a rather large extended family, so I anticipate more family book signings to come.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
I just had my first author's appearance today!

Okay, it was at my grandma's house, but my presence was formally requested by one of my aunts. She bought three of the books--one for her and one for each of her grown kids--and she wanted me to sign them!

Turns out she collects books and tries to go to all the author signings she can. (And she's a fan of Robin Lee Hatcher, so that helped!)

Since she is well-versed in collecting book sigs, she was able to give me a few pointers. Another aunt is an artist, so she was able to provide me with the appropriate signing pen (which, in her opinion, is a Sharpie).

So I signed the books, and my artist aunt took pictures of my first book signing. Isn't that so sweet?

I come from a rather large extended family, so I anticipate more family book signings to come.

Very sweet!! It made me miss my grandma b/c your aunts sound as sweet as she was. :)

k

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I just had a "Whoo-Whoo" moment you guys. I was on my MSN inbox page and I noticed the banner. It said "Stay Strong-- Stories of Strength" and had a picture of a smiling woman. Did I dream that?

I've been out of touch, doing NaNo and haven't kept up with the threads. Are we advertising on MSN?

Paint
PS okay it's later and I found the ad again...it's for a drug ad, Citrical or something. But it's our wording. You click on it and there are pictures of women and you can share your story.

Last edited:

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
On Dec 12th, Stories of strength will be the feature story on WDBJ 7's morning news. www.wdbj7.com Kimberly McBroom will be doing the interview, which is great, because she was my babysitter when I was a kid.

And yes, I'm driving from Missouri to Virginia, basically just for this. I won't give up until we reach that 100k!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book