• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. / Flux / Midnight Ink

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. It seems lthey are not only legitimate, but also that I'd be very lucky if they were interested in my manuscript!

Thanks again,

Amy

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
AnneMarble said:
It was also nice to see a couple of new YA novels that weren't "It Girls" clones. ;)

Amen to that!

Anyway, I plan on submitting to them if my agent search doesn't work out. Hopefully, I will get an agent, but if not, this is a publisher toward the top of my list.

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
And Andrew Karre is the 'dream' editor. I plan on sending my second YA his way.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
At one time they didn't publish fiction, or so they told me.

Mind you, the flack they probably got after one book they published (The Celtic Heart) would scare off any publisher. The author hadn't done her research and Llewellyn didn't bother to check. Talk about a hash up!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised to see people say that they hardly publish any fiction because I have seen quite a few YA fiction from this publisher. One of their more popular fiction books being the BIFN series (Blue is for Nightmares).

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
They actually have a good amount of fiction, I think. Both adult and YA. They recently started the imprints Midnight Ink (which is mysteries I think) and Flux (for YA). I don't know much about Midnight Ink, but I think Flux is doing pretty well. They have a wide range of books and I've seen many in bookstores lately.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted to Flux, we'll see what happens, I expect a rejection but who knows? :D

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite. What was the flack? I'm very curious. I don't read pagan fiction anymore (our first foray was disappointing). Who was the author?

Yeiks, I don't remember who the author was. I read the novel about ten years ago and tossed it when I finally managed to struggle through.

I study Celtic history and I knew enough about it to know the author moved complete tribes from one side of Britain to the other. The errors in research were so bad I couldn't concentrate on the story so I have no idea what it was about. It was probably a love story, going by the title. I suspect any reader interested in the Celts would know what a mess the book was, and I imagine a fair number would tell Llewellyn what they thought of them -- as I did. It would be enough to make them wary of publishing fiction for a while.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
A lot of pagan fiction is just bad, which is why I gave up on reading it. Somehow -- and this isn't limited to just Llewellyn but other publishers as well -- there's a tendency to create the Main Character Who's A Wiccan and have them take themselves waaaaaaay to seriously. It's like there's no fun allowed, and it's just laughably bad.

I've heard that L's Midnight Ink imprint has some good quality titles, but I haven't gotten around to trying them.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that the line between Celtic and Wiccan/Pagan is so blurred. Some writers of Celtic fiction, like Jack Whyte (The Sky Stone), have a pretty good handle on history and what they make up is plausible, considering how little we know of the Celts.

I'm not sure if I've read anything that is strictly Wiccan/Pagan. I may have because I tend to read most things I can get my hands on -- except Barbara Cartland.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Ink

I know that some Absolute Writers have had books published through Midnight Ink and I would be interested in hearing about your experiences.

I want to send my crime novel to them. But despite reading the detailed guidelines, I am not clear on whether they insist on being sent entire manuscripts or whether they are happy to take the first three chapters and synopsis initially.

I don't really want to send the full manuscript from the UK to the US in the first instance, especially if it will be 6 months before I hear back, as that will mean I can't send it to anyone else.

Shara

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
Shara,

I sent a query to Midnight Ink some time ago and included only a synopsis and the first three chapters. I was rejected, but they were quick and professional. I would definitely submit to them again. Also, they passed the big test...I have seen several of their books in the local Borders and boughth one to see if mine stacked up. I thought it did, but I guess they didn't. Oh well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Flux Press

Anyone know anything about them? They are a YA publisher in Minnesota. Don't see anything in this forum. I've been trolling the web for offbeat publishers and ran across them. There's a paragraph or two on the submissions page that are ambiguous.

DP

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Yup, Moonfish, your link is correct.

Flux is an imprint of Llewellyn Worldwide, a well-known New Age publisher. But Flux's books don't usually have anything to do with New Agey stuff; they've got a really good lineup of contemporary and fantasy YA.

The acquisitions editor, Andrew Karre, has an excellent blog where he not only talks up the recent Flux releases, but also discusses YA literature as a whole.

http://www.fluxnow.blogspot.com/

My only quibble with them is that I have a hard time finding their books in stores. I always check, because they're a publisher I'm interested in. I've found two of their titles at Barnes and Noble, none at Borders, and a decent amount at my local independent children's bookstore. But usually, if I want a Flux book (and I often do; they put out great stuff), I have to go through Amazon.

Riv

Registered
Reaction score
What of Llewellyn?

Anyone know about LLewellynn (Sp) or their imprint Flux?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Riv. I've moved your post to the relevant thread. Be sure to check out our Index.

AndrewHallOnline

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndrewHallOnline.com
Midnight Ink is closed to submissions.

I expect they will get quite a few anyway. The submissions web page does not say that they are closed to new submissions. Only if you follow the link on the page to read the submission guidelines in .pdf format would you see that they are closed. Because it doesn't tell people they need to read the .pdf document, I'm guessing many people won't. That's too bad - a lot of authors are going to send in work that apparently isn't going to given consideration.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long they've been closed? I sent my mss over three months ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Karen_Dales

Registered
Reaction score
I know a few authors who have been published by Llewellyn, granted they did not write fiction. One thing I do know about them and have heard time and time again from their authors and others is this: (at least for non-fiction) If accepted, they will sign you to a 3 book deal, BUT you have to produce them within a specific time period and if you can't do this they will assign you a topic to write on. It is quite common to see an author with Llewellyn debut a great book, but by the third it's extremely repetitive or drivel. (I have MANY of their books on my shelves).

As for how they treat their fiction authors...I don't know. One thing I do know is that after having some friends publish with them, I did not bother to approach them when I was looking for a publisher.

Another thing about them is that due the plethora of books they put out in the late 90's their credibility in terms of the quality of Craft books has greatly diminished. (I've been in the Craft community for over 20 years.)

Historically, Llewellyn debuted as a publisher with Lady Sheba's Book of Shadows in 1974 (if memory serves).

BB

Karen Dales
Author
"Angel of Death: Book One of the Chosen"
Release - Summer 2009
http://thechosenchronicles.com
[email protected]