• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Living Dead Press / Open Casket Press (Anthony Giangregorio)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And while I think the publisher is a jerk, I am also boggled that so many authors gave him free stories to sell at ten bucks per book. I know horror is often non-paying--but that is for zines that run at cost which is not what was happening here.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
And while I think the publisher is a jerk, I am also boggled that so many authors gave him free stories to sell at ten bucks per book. I know horror is often non-paying--but that is for zines that run at cost which is not what was happening here.

I'm not surprised, as it's clear he goes after new writers and knows about negging. He tells new writer that they're great, but they have a few rough patches (and no one's going to take the time to sort them, other than him). It lowers expectations and makes them think they have to start there.

It'd backfire when he hits someone with a higher confidence level or someone who'll analyse the exchange and realise something's up. But he doesn't have to hit that many uncertain new writers to get an anthology.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com

Exactly. Zines which are usually 'for the love' of any genre since most are barely staying afloat to begin with. And 90% of them pay anywhere from 1-5 contributor's copies.

With this guy you got diddly squat, unless you count the grief he seems to be so good at doling out to all and sundry.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Another author whose story was altered without her information or consent is here.
She includes a sample paragraph of a material added.

-Barbara

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
After she posted that, he posted on Facebook to her:

are you gonna be home tonight? i plan on dropping by for a talk

The screenshot of it is on Nick Mamatas's blog.
Oooh. Any chance of Giangregorio getting into a flamewar with Nick Mamatas?
:popcorn:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Wow!!! I just read this entire thread and my mouth is dropped open. I'm shocked that any publisher would think it's ok to change a writer's work without permission. So the moral of the story is check out each publisher, ask lots of questions and beware. Gesh!! And honestly, I think he's done. I mean, how do you come back from this????

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I sent this thread to a friend of mine who owns a small indie publishing firm. She was pretty shocked over it and said she'd make suggestions but would never hijack a story. I guess the moral of the story is check out every publisher before signing the contract. There's more to being a publisher than opening a website and sending a manuscript to POD.

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like he's back, with an all new publishing house - the charmingly named STFU Publishing.

http://stfupublishing.com/?page_id=23

Giangregorio has been smart enough to avoid mentioning himself by name anywhere on the website, and there doesn't appear to be any zombie fiction either, but its pretty transparently his work. He was also apparently listed as the editor for one of the books published by the press, but his name has since been removed.

Compare STFU Publishing's book covers with that of Open Casket Press or Living Dead Press. The website layout is near identical as well.

There's also a submission call for an anthology, which is nearly identical in phrasing and formatting to Giangregorio's other publishing houses, although as he's deleted the submission pages from his previous presses its difficult to find anything to compare it to. Writers all get a contributor's copy now at least, which is, er, something, I guess.

It could be a massive coincidence (though I doubt it), however, regardless of whether its connected to Giangregorio, nothing on STFU Publishing's website indicates that it's a place you'd want to send your work. This paragraph from the submission page says it all, really:

STFU Publishing said:
Formatting is how you like, but preferred is single spaced with no tabs. Have name address, phone number info on first page only. If you don’t want to put phone and other info that’s fine, but don’t bother submitting then, as there are times when direct communication is necessary during the editing process.

Asha Leu

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, it seems my research abilities are somewhat lacking. It's definitely Giangregorio's work - he hasn't been especially vigilant about covering up his association with STFU Publishing after all.

From the Living Dead Press submissions page:

Living Dead Press said:
LIVING DEAD PRESS IS NOT ACCEPTING UNSOLICITED STORIES, NOVELS OR NOVELLAS

AT THIS TIME.

But check out our new horror imprint to see what anthologies are opening soon. Click on the link provided below:

http://stfupublishing.com/

ExitTheKing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, when I was just starting out and had no idea what I was doing, I submitted a (terrible) story to one of the anthologies. I might not have known much about publishing, but I did know enough to run the other way when a horribly spelled acceptance letter came my way.

loki76

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to his first press when I was starting out and knew nothing. Can't take it back, but I did learn a lot, all sorts of things I should know about a bad publisher/editor.

STFU is his new press.

janrafrank

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in battle with him to recover rights to a book by one of my company's authors. He is not responding to my emails. The contract is up on my blog. i would appreciate any and all help I can get in dealing with this guy.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in battle with him to recover rights to a book by one of my company's authors. He is not responding to my emails. The contract is up on my blog. i would appreciate any and all help I can get in dealing with this guy.

And he's still at it. Paul Johnson's novel Survival Horror was significantly changed, according to Johnson.

http://stantlitore.com/2013/05/26/w...ware-tony-giangregorio-and-open-casket-press/

With all the information available online, why are people still signing contracts with this person?

Anyone even considering an offer from this place, or considering submitting in the first place, take heed. You will not be the exception for which everything is okay, no matter how badly you want to tell people you got a publishing contract. When people say it's better not to publish at all than to be published poorly, this is a good example of what they're talking about.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Living Dead lone active imprint; has published only self since '16.