• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Living Dead Press / Open Casket Press (Anthony Giangregorio)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
CharlesV:
Best wishes to you all. I give up. You win.

Charlie,

The point of the threads in this particular forum isn't about winning or losing. It's about providing information to writers as to what a publisher or agent can offer their writing careers.

This publisher has nothing to offer a writer whose goals are higher than hobby publishing. An online publishing entity started by a person with no professional writing credits, no professional publishing experience, that was started initially because the owner decided to self-publish after receiving a few rejections...

JL: Could you give an approximation of your submission to rejection ratio?

AG: I got a few and then said screw it, I'll do it on my own.
... is not a good choice for any writer seeking a professional writing career.

Good luck with your writing.

~brianm~

Last edited:

ExitTheKing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a submission for Living Dead Press for their "E-Mail Anthology." After receiving a very crudely constructed acceptance letter, I decided to pass on the chance to be published with them.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
CharlesV:
A lot to respond to, and frankly, I'm beginning to feel like the game 1 verses 100, where the mob is going to win, by sake of numbers and my inability to answer everyone. I still never caught up with the posts from previous days, and now, it's coming from every direction.

You know, I'd have a lot more sympathy for you if you weren't trying to play the "you're all ganging up on me" card.

There's no rule that says you have to respond to everyone - or indeed anyone. Whether you do so or not is up to you.

CharlesV:
All I can say now is, I'm nicer than you all think, and I'm glad I published with Tony.

Who said that you weren't a nice person? No-one.

Again, stop trying to play the pity card.

You made the decision to go with LDP. That's fine. No-one has personally attacked you for it or made any kind of personal remark about you.

What we have done is point out that you may have been able to do better for your writing than LDP.

I understand if your confidence is low - everyone starts off that way. However just because LDP gave you a confidence boost does not mean that it is the best market for a new author's work. That's what the discussion on this thread has been trying to get at. I'm sorry if you choose not to view it that way.

CharlesV:
Best wishes to you all. I give up. You win.

What are you, 7 years old? Honestly this is just pathetic.

MM

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The reviews on Amazon make a interesting read.....

Going back and editing posts that are already quoted, is pretty much pointless. People can still read what was originally posted.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Rather than correcting your error you will make the people reacting to those posts look somewhat irrational or over-sensitive. I suggest you just move forward, not try and rewrite history.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
VPX
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I always recommend starting at the top and working down, not starting at the bottom and working up.

Why?

Because if you start at the bottom you'll never reach the top. A 1/4-cent-a-word or 4theluv market won't reject a work because it's too good for them. They'll snatch up a story that could have appeared in The Paris Review, and that'll be the last anyone will hear of it.

There isn't an author's career path that starts out in mimeographed crudzines, graduates to little and literary, then to regional magazines, then finally breaking into the slicks. Instead, you'll find that with many authors, they wind up publishing at the same level where they started, from beginning of career to end. (Depressing, isn't it?)

Generally speaking, the higher-paying a market, the bigger the circulation, and the more readers. It's hard to count readers, but it's easy to count money, so that's how most people figure markets.

When writing to agents or editors, when listing credits in the cover letters, I recommend leaving off the 1/4-cent and non-paying markets because that looks like the best you can do.

There are certain non-paying markets that are an exception to this: Those are the high-prestige markets. One can recognize them by the following signs: Stories that first appeared there regularly turn up in year's best anthologies and on award nominations.

(If someone is interested in a career in a given genre, it would behoove them to become intimately familiar with the Year's Best and awards nominations in that field. Part of going pro.)

Anyway, seeking a career as a writer isn't the only reason to write. And there are many reasons for selecting one market over another. Money is only one of them. I wish everyone well, and great happiness in their lives.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Charlie,

I agree with Victoria on not editing or deleting your posts but I see it's already too late.

Again, I hope you will look around and participate in AW's other forums. There's so much information and support for writers and if you're goals are to be paid for your writing, you'll find no better place to help you attain that goal than in AW's forums.

~brianm~

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Some of the sentences in some of my posts could have been better thought out. I'm going to make an effort to do some edits of past posts and retract some things I've said that could have been better worded or considered by me. Some of my edits my also clarify my meaning. Some of it was posted in haste in an attempt to keep up with a large number of posts in a limited time, and was not taken in the ways intended, which was largely my fault for not expressing myself well with careful consideration of word choices. Again, I apologize for anything hastily posted that might have been better considered.

Bear in mind that I'm only human. While I maintain that my LDP experience has been good for me, and I don't regret having published through LDP, I do regret any ill feelings I've caused with any postings that could have been more carefully thought out before posting.

Charlie

Well, Charles, not to belabor the point, but you offended me, and when I told you you'd offended me, you basically told me to suck it. That didn't make me feel very good, or very inclined to continue wanting to help you and be kind to you--which I was, since my post that you got snotty about was my very first post ever in this thread, and I think if you re-read it you'll see how much I did hope you would stick around and learn from us.

But I do know you're only human, and I do understand that people say things they don't necessarily mean when they feel attacked or upset.

We'd still like to have you here on the forum. Like I said, there's a lot more to AW than just Bewares. There are forums for every genre, general writing forums, there's a whole Share Your Work section for critiques, and just about anything else you can think of. We're generally a pretty supportive, happy bunch. I urge you to stay and get to know us all better, and we'll chalk all of this up to stress and unfamiliarity.

Okay? I think I can speak for pretty much all of us when I say we're willing to forget it all if you are. :)

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
http://livingdeadpress.com/ldp_021.htm It was asked before about payment from this press. It appears there is none according to the guidelines, this link being for one of their recent calls for subs.

Last edited:

ajrobe

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a story published with LDP back when they were paying .01/word, before all the hubbub about reviews and such. I can't speak to most of the things brought up here but as far as editing went, Tony gave me a call and got my approval before changing any of the story elements.
He certainly has a different way of doing things, it was only my second published story so I didn't really understand that getting a phone call from an editor was so unique. On the phone he is very…um…passionate.

ghosted

Registered
Reaction score
Website
adamplewis.wordpress.com
OPEN CASKET PRESS

I took down my original comments, which were spitful, and offer a public apology to Anthony. It's not fair to post comments when a person can't defend themselves.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Other people have talked about Open Casket Press in the master thread about Anthony Giangregorio; a mod will probably move this over there.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with him; thanks for sharing the information.

TheOneTrueBen

Making it up as I go along...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chancefortunato.com
Wanted to add a bit to the info on Open Casket Press, with the experience a fellow writer had. Bear in mind, this is all second hand info, and I'll say up front, no money was lost and no bad mouthing or recriminations have occurred so far.

Nor has my friend decided to go with OCP/LDP.

With only a query letter and some basic info on his background, Tony called him up and essentially gave the impression he wanted to get him contracted without even seeing the manuscript. He also told him he wanted to get the manuscript in hand and get the ball rolling in the next week. (The manuscript in question is also pretty big, in the 150K word range, which Tony G suggested splitting into two books, which is about the only good idea I took from the whole experience). The info he gave was that my friend could expect to see about $1 per sale from his paperback books, and 60-80 cents for his e-sales. I'm not sure how good that is, because I only have my contract to go by.

With what we dug up here, and what we found on one of the other websites linked from this thread, neither of us were very impressed. But what made me sit back and say "Whoa!" was that Tony G. has written and published 57 books in five years. Almost one a month for five years! Holy crap!

There's fast, really fast, and plaid. This guy's left those all behind, and he's writing at the speed of lint.

Megx1987

Registered
Reaction score
Open Casket Press/Living Dead Press/Undead press

Passing along this blog post.

http://mandydegeit.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/when-publishing-goes-wrong-starring-undead-press/

Open Casket Press, Living Dead Press, and Undead Press are all run by the same person, Anthony Giangregario. The issues mentioned by the blog poster are typical of him--it's not a one time incident. I have other accounts of similar practices by Giangregario but they aren't my story to share in a public forum.

Needless to say, the publisher offers no money to accepted writers, changes your story at will, and is generally unprofessional. BIG warning to stay away from this company and any of their publications.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Passing along this blog post.

http://mandydegeit.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/when-publishing-goes-wrong-starring-undead-press/

Open Casket Press, Living Dead Press, and Undead Press are all run by the same person, Anthony Giangregario. The issues mentioned by the blog poster are typical of him--it's not a one time incident. I have other accounts of similar practices by Giangregario but they aren't my story to share in a public forum.

Needless to say, the publisher offers no money to accepted writers, changes your story at will, and is generally unprofessional. BIG warning to stay away from this company and any of their publications.

<snipped> <---- That's the existing thread on them here at AW. I'm sure a mod will merge your post with it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The experience that Mandy DeGeit reports is just horrible. The idea that some incoherent sex stuff "enhances" a story and thus should be put in without the author's knowledge or consent...ew forever.

This Anthony Giangregorio person is clearly bad news. Do not submit to his publications. Giving your work away for free to be horribly mangled is not a good career move.

Megx1987

Registered
Reaction score
I did a search to see if there was an existing thread and my internet at the moment apparently couldn't handle it, haha. This just popped up on my news feed this morning and I thought I'd pass it along. Almost submitted to them myself, but nothing I had matched up anything they were publishing at the time. Close call.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Was this the guy who boasted about the author's words being sacrosanct?

From MementoMori upthread:

LDP Website:
And finally, LDP believes that words a writer puts on the page is sacrosanct. We will never try to change a writer's words unless they are fully on board. We believe what a writer creates is a work of art and should be treated as such.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away