Not open for further replies.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Ken Schneider said:
That is great Patti. Meastro is willing as well.

If you're willing to come over for the signing, are you willing to sit in on the press conference?

Absolutely. I've got one or two can't-be-moved thingies going on in October but for the most part my schedule is flexible. Hopefully we can come up with a date that works for all three of us.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm good for about three month here in two weeks. I am having a minor shoulder surgery that will keep me off for 12 weeks.

I'll make it work out.

We do know that it will be after mid October. The signing will be on a Saturday, I'm sure.

Keep in mind that you'll have two trips over to Troy. Troy is about 12 miles north of I-70 at 75. You may already know this.

I'll clue you in as soon as we have more details.

Ken

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Ken Schneider said:
I know I'm good for about three month here in two weeks. I am having a minor shoulder surgery that will keep me off for 12 weeks.

I'll make it work out.

We do know that it will be after mid October. The signing will be on a Saturday, I'm sure.

Keep in mind that you'll have two trips over to Troy. Troy is about 12 miles north of I-70 at 75. You may already know this.

As long as it's not October 29th, I'm good. I think Troy would be about an hour and a half from me, or maybe a bit less. Well worth the drive, IMO :)

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
Ken, I'm not that far from you -- heck, no one in Ohio is that far from anyone else. Let me know a date and I'll drive over from Columbus.

I'm about 2 hours south of Columbus, Patti, and I don't mind a bit of a drive, either--provided I can find someone to watch my kiddos.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
I'm about 2 hours south of Columbus, Patti, and I don't mind a bit of a drive, either--provided I can find someone to watch my kiddos.

Sounds like Nelsonville. Is the by-pass finished yet. I have a son at O.U.

Ken

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ken, I spoke to my husband, who works as a paramedic--and does a lot of travel. He said the bypass isn't done yet, as far as he knows. Athens isn't that far away from me, actually. I live in Beverly--a town w/ two stoplights and where you can hear the cattle mooing from main street.

But we're right on St. Rt. 60, and I can get to Columbus in two hours or less. Patti, I could even pick you up in Columbus, if you want!

(That picture of my darling children was taken in Columbus just a few months ago, at the zoo. My favorite place to visit when in Columbus? The Book Loft--makes me salivate, just thinking of all those books there, waiting to be read.)

If y'all are willing to have a weird, pregnant woman hang around w/ you for awhile, that is. :)

Last edited:

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm dandying up! I'm gonna get my hair cut, and change the color. I've got some of that tooth-whitening gel, and the box says that, in two weeks, my tooth will shine brighter than a Christmas star!

My mustache is getting waxed off tomorrow, and I think I can cover my bald spot with a nice ball cap.

My best shirt doesn't have too many stains on it, and if I slump a little, it covers my pregnancy bulge really well!

But if I'm dressing up, I should wear heels with my purple track suit, right?

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a note to the Oprah show:

Ms. Winfrey:

I am an avid viewer of your show, and believe in most, if not all, the causes you support. Your support of the arts and literature is especially importat to me, since I am a writer.

I, too, watched the events surrounding Hurricane Katrina with first horror and then shock. I believe that as Americans, we should all do whatever it is that we can to support our neighbors to the south. I don't have much money to give, and with a small child and family to support, it's difficult for me to lend any physical help. But author/editor Jenna Glatzer, owner and operator of the AbsoluteWrite website and forums (www.absolutewrite.com/forums), has given me an opportunity.

Ms. Glatzer has put together an anthology of essays, poems and stories entitled "Stories of Strenght" (www.storiesofstrength.com) in order to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and all along the Gulf Coast. Over 100 members of the forums, along with some rather well-known authors, have submitted pieces to be included in the anthology. Everything from editing services to cover design has been donated to the project, and we hope to make this project, this book of hope, a huge success.

I don't have much to give, myself. I have very little money, and I live too far away to help for any amount of time. What I do have is my skill as a writer. I was exceptionally honored to be included in this anthology, as this is my first piece of published writing. I'm so glad that it is for such an amazing project, and to help people who need so much more than I could ever give.

Thank you for reading this email; the book should be ready for pulication in mid-October, and I hope you will help us in the promotion of our project.

Sincerely,
Linley

Hope it helps!

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
Oh, I'm dandying up! I'm gonna get my hair cut, and change the color. I've got some of that tooth-whitening gel, and the box says that, in two weeks, my tooth will shine brighter than a Christmas star!

My mustache is getting waxed off tomorrow, and I think I can cover my bald spot with a nice ball cap.

My best shirt doesn't have too many stains on it, and if I slump a little, it covers my pregnancy bulge really well!

But if I'm dressing up, I should wear heels with my purple track suit, right?

rofl :ROFL:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, nuts! Yeshanu, your signature and picture just reminded me. :Headbang:

Viggo Mortenson is a poet!! WHY didn't we think to contact him?!?!

Jenna, is it too late?! I have a friend who is newly married to a woman who goes to Viggo's alma mater and they attended a book signing and speaking session with him a couple years ago. Should I pursue? Or does anyone else have a better friend of a better friend of a better friend who can pull him in at the last minute?

He also is an avid painter. He might be interested in providing a painting for the anthology...

I realize that we're pretty late in the game. I'm just comiserating with all the other Viggo fans on the site.

kim

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I know it is meant in jest, but people may come to read this thread to find out more about the anthology - who knows, reporters may come, potential sponsors may come, and ultimately, buyers may come.

Flights here and there aren't exactly sensible expenditures no matter who is paying for it, afterall, whoever were paying could have sent the money direct to the relief-fund for better effect.

I know we all know this, but other visitors might begin to wonder?

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all, this is the letter I've posted to Oprah.com:

I’m a member of an online writers’ community called AbsoluteWrite.com. We’re a 4,000-member worldwide group that devotes itself to the craft of writing. Owned and operated by Jenna Glatzer, a professional freelance writer and author, she has fostered a supportive and caring environment where we can advise and help each other.

When Hurricane Katrina struck, we all watched helplessly as we saw the level of death, destruction, and suffering. Some from our own online community were some of the evacuees.

Fortunately, Jenna galvanized us to action. She proposed we write an anthology of poems, essays, and stories on the subject of “Strength” in which all proceeds would go toward helping the hurricane victims. She found professional editors and graphic designers who volunteered their time to make the anthology the very best it could be. She has convinced prominent authors such as Orson Scott Card and Robin Lee Hatcher to contribute, as well. The anthology, Stories of Strength, is due to be released sometime in mid-October. (You can find more information on this website: www.storiesofstrength.com.)

We at AbsoluteWrite are nothing short of astonished at Jenna’s dedication and caring—all the more so because Jenna herself has overcome a number of great personal obstacles on the way to finding her own success. Her own life is a testament to Strength. I’m certain that if you get Jenna Glatzer to appear on your show, you will find her to be a witty, charming, and inspiring guest.

Thank you so much for your kind attention.

Do you guys think this would be suitable to send to the other shows, like Today, Regis and What's 'er name, Ellen, etc.?

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Shwebb said:
But we're right on St. Rt. 60, and I can get to Columbus in two hours or less. Patti, I could even pick you up in Columbus, if you want!

(That picture of my darling children was taken in Columbus just a few months ago, at the zoo. My favorite place to visit when in Columbus? The Book Loft--makes me salivate, just thinking of all those books there, waiting to be read.)

If y'all are willing to have a weird, pregnant woman hang around w/ you for awhile, that is. :)

I've BEEN a weird pregnant woman, so it's cool.

If you're in Beverly, you're only about an hour and a half from me. I'm in a southeastern suburb of Columbus (I'm about 20 minutes west of Lancaster). Sounds to me like a road trip is in order. We can carpool, as long as you promise not to go into labor!

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
I've BEEN a weird pregnant woman, so it's cool.

If you're in Beverly, you're only about an hour and a half from me. I'm in a southeastern suburb of Columbus (I'm about 20 minutes west of Lancaster). Sounds to me like a road trip is in order. We can carpool, as long as you promise not to go into labor!

I'm just impressed you know where Beverly is! I'm not due until December 3, so I'm all up for it. (I just may need an extra bathroom break now and then.) Are you closer to 33 or I-70? I can go either way.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I sent....

Hello Oprah,

My name is Vanessa Kyles, and I am closer than close to the devastation and aftermath of Katrina and Rita. My family were also affected, however, they are safe, alive and accounted for.

A lot of people weren't as fortunate, as many lost lives, are displaced and homeless.

Jenna Glatzer (www.jennaglatzer.com), freelance author and owner of Absolute Write.com spearheaded a special project that can help those people in the best way we know how. Stories of Strength" is an Anthology filled with short stories, essays and poems which identifies the many types of strengths we need to live and to love. The book will comfort, soothe, motivate, inspire and bring tears and joys of hope to the souls of many.

100+ writers including myself wanted to do this because we needed to do this, to benefit such a great cause. 100% of the proceeds will go the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Other contributers are authors Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton, and Robin Lee Hatcher.

Ms. Glatzer would be perfect for your show. She has worked diligently proposing the many efforts behind this project. We the 4000+ strong members of Absolute Write.com, from across the globe are honored to request her presence on your show. She will represent this great cause with dignity and grace.

We the members of Absolute Write.com have grown as a family throughout this project. Many editors and designers within this group have also extended their professionalism in well-defining "Stories of Strength."

This is going to be huge, Oprah. You were strongly affected by Katrina as well, because you felt the pain of those people who were stranded for days.

All I'm asking is your faith in us. Together we can create an impact that will surely bring about one purpose that truly matters.

Thank you so much for your time. We look forward to meeting you.

Vanessa Kyles
vkyles at inkbutter dot com

Last edited:

J.R.

I went to the submission form online and put in another suggestion to get the book - and Jenna - on Oprah...

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Make sure Oprah invites all 100+ authors to Chicago. :)

Nah, y'all go. It's against my altruistic nature.
In that regard, I still need a partner in South Florida for promoting down hither.

Status
Not open for further replies.