• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Legal Svcs] Debra Kass Orenstein

Updrifting

Writer without permission.
Registered
Reaction score
Where it's really, really cold out half the year.
Website
errinstevens.com
Hi All - Since I've been such a shameless lurker in the Bewares part of this forum, I wanted to share a resource I've been using the past few months as a (gasp!) Recommendation. She's an attorney who's worked for the big houses in New York (and is licensed in New York still), but has hung out her shingle to offer contract reviews and such for little-time authors like me. I used her last winter on a contract with a publisher with whom I ultimately parted ways, and I very much wish I'd listened harder to the cautions she gave me. It was because of her advice I was able to negotiate well, however... and now I'm with a new pub, so it's all good. Anyway, here's her bio and email address if you want to check her out. I loved her.

Literary property lawyer Debbie Orenstein is in private practice,
representing writers, publishers, and agents all over the country. Before moving to Minneapolis, she was Assistant General Counsel at Harper
& Row (now Harper Collins) and worked as a consultant in the legal department at
McGraw Hill. She was General Counsel and Director of Business Affairs for the Lazear Agency in Minneapolis and has been a resource lawyer for the Writer’s Guild and the American Society of Journalists and Authors. She speaks frequently on the publishing industry and related legal issues for legal and trade groups.
[email protected]

Updrifting

Writer without permission.
Registered
Reaction score
Where it's really, really cold out half the year.
Website
errinstevens.com
She does not have an independent web site. I think it's because she doesn't need to? She charged me $195 to review my last contract, which was for one hour, although I'd bet a grand she spent more like three on me. I did ask her if she wanted me to post the information I did before I posted.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
That's a shame. I feel like she'd get more business if she'd hang a shingle out there. I'd be interested myself, but I'd want a wee bit more than just a paragraph and an email address.