Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 2

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Lincoln's Sword should be hitting bookstore shelves one month from today.

It's more useful to me if y'all go and buy it off the shelf. It'll encourage bookstores to ... shelve more of 'em.

On my ordering list for my birthday (which is 7 days before the release). :)

Uncle Jim,

I'm getting to the moment to submit my first novel to the agents. Let's say, hypothetically, one agent signs me and then wants the second book. I made sure the first one will leave an open door, so to speak. The problem is, I only have the first chapters of the second book but I really want to continue the book from another series. Should I focus on the sequel or on the other book? Which would be best for long term?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Let's say, hypothetically, one agent signs me and then wants the second book. I made sure the first one will leave an open door, so to speak. The problem is, I only have the first chapters of the second book but I really want to continue the book from another series. Should I focus on the sequel or on the other book? Which would be best for long term?

That is a question that you should be bringing up with your agent, not with me. Hypothetically, when he/she signs you.

That's because the agent will have your actual manuscript on the table, and will have an idea of where this manuscript can be sold, and whether that house would want another (continuing a potential series.)

While waiting for the potential agent to call, however, I would write an entirely different book. Because what will you do if no agent agrees to represent this book?

Neversage

Part of the Scenery
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about your previous two pieces of advice:
1. Make sure you are writing another book as you send off your first, but it is better if it is not a sequel.
2. Write what you are passionate about.

I decided to roll these into one, so I came up with a new, non-sequel story that I am passionate about. It is new territory for me, being quite a departure from what I have been writing for the last few years.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the "Outline" as we were taught in high school?

I'm sure that someone, somewhere, uses that roman numeral, capital and small letters, Arabic numbers, yet more roman numerals monstrosity, but I sure don't and I don't think I know anyone who does....

But if it works for you, by golly, do it.

I'm going to show my nerd badge now, but I've been known to use the formal roman numeral outline sometimes. If I'm finding a story is getting too convoluted, I'll break out the English Textbook outline structure to get my thoughts organized.

But it's only an occasional thing. Most of the time, my outlines look like a numbered list of paragraphs, one for each scene, very loosy-goosy, with bits of dialogue, parentheticals of "Oh, don't forget to do this," etc.

Like you said, whatever works.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim, Let's say you placed a 50-page partial, waited the requisite amount of time, asked about the status after that, and was told that the editor was reading it that week. It's now been 2-3 weeks later and still no word Yea or Nay or asking for a full.

What is one to do?

Should I resolve to pass the ms on to the next publisher on the list and simply accept that this one rejected it without comment?

Michael_T

Physicist posing as a novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim:

Just thought I'd give you a quick thanks (since I'm logged in tonight and usually just lurk). You've given me a lot of advice through other author's questions in your last 10,000 or so posts :p I also want you to know there is no way I'm buying your book from amazon. It's the store for me!

Look forward to it, and it better be good :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Look forward to it, and it better be good

Oh, it is good. Trust me. You'll need to buy ten or twenty copies because it's just that good.

Meanwhile, found elsewhere: [FONT=courier new,courier,fixedsys]http://copperbadge.dreamwidth.org/268487.html

[/FONT]
In 1889, a literary agent named J.M. Stoddart, representing the American publication Lippincott's Magazine, sat down to dinner with two young writers in London and asked each of them to submit a novel for publication in Lippincott's.

The results were:

The Sign of the Four, by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Uncle Jim, Let's say you placed a 50-page partial, waited the requisite amount of time, asked about the status after that, and was told that the editor was reading it that week. It's now been 2-3 weeks later and still no word Yea or Nay or asking for a full.

What is one to do?

Should I resolve to pass the ms on to the next publisher on the list and simply accept that this one rejected it without comment?

It's summer in New York. Nothing will happen until after Labor Day.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Incidentally, we're at Readercon (Burlington MA) this weekend.

We have a signing today at 15:00 (3:00 pm) today, and a reading tomorrow at 1430 (2:30 pm).

We'll be reading a chapter from Lincoln's Sword and a chapter from Arkham Ambulance (our work in progress).

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
In 1889, a literary agent named J.M. Stoddart, representing the American publication Lippincott's Magazine, sat down to dinner with two young writers in London and asked each of them to submit a novel for publication in Lippincott's.

The results were:

The Sign of the Four, by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde "

That makes me think of a novel involving Sherlock Holmes and Dorian Gray.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That makes me think of a novel involving Sherlock Holmes and Dorian Gray.

Sherlock Holmes in The Case of the Pernicious Portrait.

While John Watson, MD, marries, Sherlock searches for a new roommate. He finds one in Dorian Gray, a handsome young man. They fight crime with style.

When the Martians invade it's up to Sherlock and Dorian to save the Queen.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
"While John Watson, MD, marries, Sherlock searches for a new roommate. He finds one in Dorian Gray, a handsome young man. They fight crime with style."

Well that'll get all those rumors started again.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Watson: Holmes, let me ask you a question. I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but... there 'have' been women in your life, haven't there?
Holmes: The answer is yes...
Watson: [Watson breathes a sigh of relief]
Holmes: ... You're being presumptuous. Good night.

-- The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Meanwhile, for your enjoyment, and for those times when you can't think of the perfect compliment....

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
Great movie. Never got its due. My favorite line was the one about Tchaikovsky and "Women not his glass of tea."

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Incidentally, we're at Readercon (Burlington MA) this weekend.

We have a signing today at 15:00 (3:00 pm) today, and a reading tomorrow at 1430 (2:30 pm).

We'll be reading a chapter from Lincoln's Sword and a chapter from Arkham Ambulance (our work in progress).

I trust things went well. Some details of the weekend might offer inspiration to the Uncle Jim's Yappy Dog and Pretentious Purple Pony Show, especially the fat balding guy in the left corner.

Procrastinista

Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim:

You've suggested that it's helpful at some point while working on a novel to shelve it for a period of time, say, three months. I believe the idea is that then the writer will gain some perspective and be more likely to tell where the pace drags, what doesn't make sense, and so on.

When is the ideal time to give a WIP such a rest?

I suspect many would say I should do so right after I finish my rough draft. But here's the thing. When I finish a rough draft, I've accumulated a large stack of post-its, reminding me of all sorts of neat ideas I want to insert, inconsistencies I want to patch up, and so on.

I wonder if the ideal time to give a WIP a rest might be after I've responded to all my post-its and am actually thinking the work is looking pretty good. Or maybe even wait until I've gotten feedback from my trusted crit group members and have incorporated their suggestions.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Hi Jim. After a month bouncing my two gandchildren on my knee, followed by a period of reflection and some serious reading, I've decided to think about working on my next attempt. I want this one to have emotional impact/payback for the reader and I'm struggling here.

I'm worried about slipping beyond emotion into sentimentality. What should I do to avoid this?