• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Leapfrog Press

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
They seem small, don't know about them paying advances (some/many micropublishers don't pay advances, just royalties), but they also don't seem like they accept just anything : Although we have a small number of popular fiction titles, our focus is literary fiction. We publish mainly adult fiction, and occasionally nonfiction. We do not publish children's picture books. We are not currently looking for poetry. " I got that from their website.

I dug deeper and got this:
http://www.irawood.com/aboutira/about.htm
" Ira Wood is the author of three novels, The Kitchen Man, Going Public, and Storm Tide, co-authored by Marge Piercy,... In 1996 he established the Leapfrog Press, an internationally distributed ‘boutique’ publishing company, which the Boston Globe called “the pulse of what’s hot in the publishing world.” He sold it in 2008.

While an editor at Leapfrog he specialized in the resurrection of near misses: books that had come close to being published by mainstream New York publishers but lacked a certain something, sometimes just big numbers for the author’s previous books, but that notwithstanding, a compelling beginning, a tighter plot, a selling title, or simply a great marketing campaign and the patience to keep a book in print until it found its audience. With a hand in the marketing of every one of Leapfrog’s books, his small press titles received national media attention, some becoming regional best sellers, BookSense and best-of-the-year picks. "

So, small publisher but seems legit. Located in Cape Cod.

Last edited:

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
punt. they are running a contest

Contest. Last year's winner described as: Each piece in this book is exactly 340 words in length. The book hovers between autobiography and mythology, between reality and surreality, between elation and anxiety, whimsy and darkness, anticipation and dread.

Ha, it was like the winning author wrote 250 or so kick-ass queries.

Actually, I like the short descriptions of just about every one of their fiction titles. Otherwise, nothing to add...

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question with this contest, why do they insist so much in not having personal information on the manuscript?? isn't that a bit fishy??

thanks

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It is a standard method to help judges be impartial should they happen to know/know of the entrant.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
It's probably to avoid any accusations of lacking impartiality; it wouldn't surprise me if they got submissions from their current authors and they want to be sure that there's no bias, conscious or otherwise, while reading them.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
There's a thread on Leapfrog here:

<snipped>

(and I'm sure a room mod will come along and merge the thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of them, but they have been around since 1993. A plus that I like is that they list all their editors, and even the current interns on their about us page.

All submissions are via electronic, but they do not allow attachments. I am not keen on posting my sample work within the email itself because they get all jumbled up. Still, if this is what they are used to, I suspect they can make heads or tails of the jumbled mess...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted one of my books to them and they've responded with a polite R within a few months and encouraged me to submit in the future. Pleasant bunch.