• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Leap Books

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Here's a new publisher of tween & teen books: www.leapbks.com. They haven't officially launched yet, but they have a beta website up. They say they're royalty-paying. Can't tell if they are an ePub or print. Anyone have more info? Know who the principals are?

Last edited:

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a new publisher of tween & teen books: www.leapbks.com. They haven't officially launched yet, but they have a beta website up. They say they're royalty-paying. Can't tell if they are an ePub or print. Anyone have more info? Know who the principals are?

Hey I read something on their blog that they were print with a select few titles being e. I sent my query today, but I don't know if they are excepting submissions yet. I guess I'll find out.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Hey I read something on their blog that they were print with a select few titles being e. I sent my query today, but I don't know if they are excepting submissions yet. I guess I'll find out.

Hmmm...blog doesn't say anything about print. But I was assuming they were, since ePubs usually make the distinction right off the bat. I got the impression they have launch titles lined up, so they might already be taking queries. Good luck on yours!

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...blog doesn't say anything about print. But I was assuming they were, since ePubs usually make the distinction right off the bat. I got the impression they have launch titles lined up, so they might already be taking queries. Good luck on yours!
My bad it was there my space page. :)

Welcome to the Myspace hangout of Leap Books, a fresh voice in fiction for Teens and Tweens. Our books take you on a journey into the unknown, into love, into discovery, into new worlds. So read them, and LEAP...
We are a royalty paying, print book, small publishing company. (e-books are available on select titles)

para

Registered
Reaction score
This was posted in TWRP Thread
Good luck to all waiting! Yes, it is true different lines at TWRP receive more subs by times than other lines so things can move quicker and/or slower, depending on the number of subs and the number of editors and the number of submissions.

I know Wild Rose is all for info sharing, so I'm sure they won't mind my sharing this message that came through the authors loop regarding the Climbing Rose line:

It is with a heavy heart that I let you know this morning that we have decided to close the Climbing Roses line here at TWRP.

I am trying to contact each author who has a contract with us, but if I have not reached you directly, please contact me at (email addy deleted) so we may discuss your options.

After over two years of very low sales and dwindling interest in this line, we made the decision to simply close the line. Our focus at TWRP is on adult romance and we found that a YA line simply wasn't in our best interest.

We will be closing to submissions this morning.

What will happen to current submissions:

If you have a book currently out – we will continue to keep this book in inventory in all our distribution channels for 2 years from the day it released. If an author wants to remove her book, we will do that immediately with no cost involved.

If you have a book that is under review – we will not be reviewing it further, it will be returned to you immediately.

If you have a book that has been contracted but NOT released - you have the option of not continuing with us and you can have the manuscript back. Authors will not be charged any fee for pulling their books. OR we will continue as planned and release your book on the date scheduled and it will remain in inventory for 2 years after that date.

I am here if you have questions, concerns, discussion.

There is a new company called Leap Books which is opening in late September. They have agreed to take on all our YA products if our authors wish to move there. If you'd like to do this, I would be happy to handle the transition. Their website is www.leapbks.com and both Susan Yates and Kat O'Shea will be working with this new company.

I know you are disappointed, but I hope you can understand this is a marketing and business decision. Thank you for understanding and once more, I'm here if you have questions.

Hope this helps anyone who is waiting (I'm sure you'll hear directly from WR soon) and also helps those who may have been contemplating where to send YA.

Cheers, L

It will be very interesting to see if a start up pub is going to succeed where TWRP has failed.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks for the info, everyone. I wonder if they're taking on WRP books as print or eBook. I guess, we'll wait and see.

Eve Richard

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, That announcement that TWRP put out about Leap Books is not quite correct. This is a correction that was issued later:

Leap Books has asked that I correct a bit of information about the announcement that went out earlier today. They are a small publisher of YA and tween books opening in January 2010 and will only be publishing about 6-8 titles a year. They already have several books lined up for 2010, but made the following offer:

[FONT=&quot]Leap Books (www.leapbks.com) will be opening in January. Anyone whose book is slated for a 2010 TWRP release is welcome to contact Leap Books about moving it there, but please be advised that the release date may be later in 2010 than your TWRP scheduled release date. This offer is also open to anyone who is writing a sequel to a book that TWRP released. Leap Books would be glad to consider publishing your series.

Please note: The press will not be open to submissions until after January 1. Please check the website for submissions guidelines at that time.
[/FONT]

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a query and got the big R, but my friend got a request for full with the stipulation that it wouldn't be read until Jan sometime. That was, of course, before they stated they weren't taking submissions until January.

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Why would people being jumping to send queries to a publisher that hasn't opened?

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Because we had both submitted to TWRP and the editors from TWRP told us to resubmit over there, since a few of them made the move. (Shrug)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Imprints are Surge for teens and Frolic for 'tweens.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to pull up their website, but it wouldn't come up for me. Does anyone have any information on their submission policy and how they're doing?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not working for me either. Maybe they're having some technical difficulties, not sure. Their blog is working, but the author page seems to be giving me problems too. I emailed my editor on it. I'll let you know.

Their twitter is working and active. So I really don't know. As far as submissions goes, they have a new e-novella line called Shine that just opened up in April looking for word counts between 35-40K words.

JudithGraves

YA Fiction to DIE for...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithgraves.com
I can speak to Leap Books and their e-novella line, SHINE, as I'm the new acquisitions editor. The line was dreamed up, then stalled - until I recently accepted a position to manage / direct SHINE. I've been a Leap author since 2010 and am thrilled at this opportunity to work behind the scenes in publishing.

Here's a link to the announcement: http://leapbks.blogspot.ca/2014/05/exciting-announcement-from-leap-books.html

SHINE's website is a WIP: http://leapbksshine.net/

So - got novellas? Fire them at me.

I hope to read your work soon,
Judith

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
YAY, Judith! Congrats on the new position!

I'm a Leap author too and they're a great group to work with. I wish you the best of luck.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
New Ownership for Leap Books (http://www.got-blogger.com/leapbks/there's an article of it further down the page)

They've already stepped it up. It's looking pretty good.
I think Shine (their new YA Line) is looking for novellas (which can be a hard sell) But it's a great opportunity for shorter works.