Last Movie You Watched...

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't sleep last night so got out one of my 1 a.m. go-to movies: Sahara. The use of color in the movie entertains me along with the action. All that turquoise and gold...

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
Just rewatched Shaun of the Dead for... god, I can't even remember how many times I've rewatched it. Probably in the double digits amd it still holds up. It is my favorite zombie of all time and it is such a nostalgic trip every time I see it.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
For a very different twist on the zombie mode try Fido. Involving and funny. A zombie movie with Billy Connelly in the title role. Oh yeah.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just rewatched Shaun of the Dead for... god, I can't even remember how many times I've rewatched it. Probably in the double digits amd it still holds up. It is my favorite zombie of all time and it is such a nostalgic trip every time I see it.
I don't like Zombie films much , however my top three are, Michael Jacksons Thriller, The Last Man on Earth and number one is , Shaun of the dead .

Last edited:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Peter's Friends . It could be more correctly be named as Kenneth Branagh friends. It is , by modern standards, a short film . It is bordering on being a stage production . All the characters are troubled and unhappy , but the mood is lighten with spots of comedy. Some will find it a bit dated , but I found it engaging and enjoyable .

Reactions: Maryn

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hereditary: not bad for a horror movie, better than most.

Wrong Turn: turned it off midway through. It's just a newer version of a slasher movie and I can't stand that shit. YMMV

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
This past Sunday, I watched two of my favorites back-to-back: Austin Powers in Goldmember and The Terminator. TRIVIA: Sunday was August 29, which is "Judgment Day" in the Terminatorverse.

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Zombie films much , however my top three are, Michael Jacksons Thriller, The Last Man on Earth and number on is , Shaun of the dead .
When it comes to zombie films, my top three would be Slither, Train to Busan, and Shaun of the Dead. Slither because I'm a sucker for dark humor, Train to Busan because it managed to make me feel genuinely sorry for the characters which is something I have experienced before in a zombie movie, and Shaun of the Dead is just really fun.

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
It Follows. Great movie.

I wanted to see it the moment I saw the trailer. Only took seven years to get around to watching it.

The time between wanting to read a book and actually reading the book is about ten years.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
This is only the second time, this year, I have managed to watch a film in a cinema ,and the film was PIG . It is about a truffle hunter , Nicolas Cage, who lives the life of a recluse , in the woods. . Someone kidnaps his truffle pig, and he spends the rest of the film trying to get the pig back. This is a film that will divide it's audience. If you like films with a plot, and you like to have some understand of what the film is about , it's not the film for you . Personally I like low budget , well made films that are original . So it's a thumbs up from me .

Last edited:
Reactions: telford

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched YOUNG ADULT, Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Patrick Wilson. I really liked this movie. It's half comedy but with a underlying story about a woman coming apart. I thought Theron played it just right, and somehow managed to make me like and care about her though she's really not a very nice person. But who is when they're unravelling? Would recommend.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rewatched CLOUD ATLAS last night. Still think it’s a well-constructed story brilliantly brought to life as cinema. Really appreciate how the cast played such diverse characters in different timelines.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
LION. A beautiful movie, but heartbreaking, and disturbing regarding the poor children living in the streets.

Reactions: Maryn

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched The Light House, with Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson . It's Eraserhead meets The Shining . The cinematography is sharp , black and white and arty. The Acting is convincing, but I struggled the hear trough the accents and the salty dog banter .It is also too long . But overall liked it , but my wife lost interest about half way in.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I usually only see films, in a cinema, after reading good reviews. My wife persuaded me to watch.
The Last Bus
She liked the basic idea , old man travels from one end of the country to the other , on a bus pass . Timothy Spall is a convincing old man and there are some good views of the passing countryside. Other than that , you could use almost any film related negative and it would probably be true. To be blunt , it's a turkey.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Finally got around to watching Predator while it was free on Prime (until the 30th), if mostly because it's such a cultural touchstone I felt I ought to give it a shot. I can see why it has such a lasting appeal to its audience, particularly the testosterone-heavy end of its audience, and it's a fairly solid action/horror film that doesn't overburden itself with excessive backstories or setups, keeping things pretty straightforward: elite military team on a covert jungle mission realize they're being hunted by something inhuman, picked off one by one until the leader has to make a final stand. Being from the 80's, bits of it age iffily, but it is unabashedly what it is. Myself, I found Alien to be a better overall film with a roughly similar idea (hidden alien menace hunting down hapless group of isolated humans who can't escape), but on the whole it's fairly solid.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched The Light House, with Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson . It's Eraserhead meets The Shining . The cinematography is sharp , black and white and arty. The Acting is convincing, but I struggled the hear trough the accents and the salty dog banter .It is also too long . But overall liked it , but my wife lost interest about half way in.
I'm glad someone liked it. I found myself reaching for my iPad and doing sudoku to pass the time--with the subtitles on, so I didn't miss a thing. It was just too weird for me, although I agree the arty cinematography worked and the performances were good.

We watched Wind River on... Netflix? Jeremy Renner plays a government employee who tracks and dispatches damaging predators in remote parts of Wyoming, in and around the Wind River Indian Reservation. He's called on to assist an FBI agent assigned the murder of an indigenous woman who ran six miles in the snow--barefoot--before dying. I'm not especially a Renner fan, but his low-key performance held it all together and I liked it.

Maryn, rediscovering this thread

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am watching Lady Jane, a British film for 1986 about the young woman who was Queen of England for nine days then lost her throne when "Bloody" Mary, Henry VIII's daughter, took control with her supporters, putting a Catholic back in control. I had no idea a young Helena Bonham Carter played the lead! Even back then she was a wonderful actress. Am enjoying it as I do most of the Tudor films.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shudder premiered Elvira's 40th Anniversary Very Scare Very Special Special on Saturday. I sat through the first three movies, Elvira Mistress of the Dark, House on Haunted Hill (original 1959 version), and The City of the Dead but couldn't get through the final one, Messiah of Evil. The stream kept buffering after every other line of dialogue, which was rather pretentious to begin with, and I had to quit about 20 minutes in. I was going to cancel the Shudder trial before Saturday but they just posted four of the five Phantasm movies; I remember absolutely loving Phantasm but haven't seen the rest of the series. It's all on DVD but I'd like to see at least the first one again before I drop the cash; I'd hate to go into it with my fond memories only to find I remembered a different movie entirely.

Last edited:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Am watching Lady Jane, a British film for 1986 about the young woman who was Queen of England for nine days then lost her throne when "Bloody" Mary, Henry VIII's daughter, took control with her supporters, putting a Catholic back in control. I had no idea a young Helena Bonham Carter played the lead! Even back then she was a wonderful actress. Am enjoying it as I do most of the Tudor films.
I also like all things Tudor , it was such an interesting part of English history .

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Little Things with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek.

I had to pause it, not sure I'll finish it. It's about one of those 'genius' serial killers toying with the detectives. :rolleyes: (All trope, very little realism about actual serial killers.) Not my favorite thing in the first place but it was going okay with a lot of personal drama of the two main characters (the detectives).

Then one of the cops made an unrealistic stupid mistake of getting in the car with the killer who was supposed to take him to one of the missing girls the detective was focused on. That was it, I hit pause. I loathe the stupid decision trope.

Yay, this format has spoiler tags!

So I may or may not watch the rest, probably with some fast forwarding.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
The Graduate
I watched The Graduate in a cinema in 1968 . Can't remember what I thought at the time , but it is lodged in my brain as a good film . So when I spotted it on DVD , I thought I would give it another go . I like films that were actuly shot on film. The Graduate is a master class of film making . It has a sharp stylized image of middle class America, in the nineteen sixties The editing is impressive and keeps the film moving along at a pleasant pace . It uses many tricks of the trade that writers are familiar with . Long scenes with not much happening followed by sequences of quick short scenes , making it all more interesting to watch. So , still a good film to watch ? I think so . But if you think about the story afterward , it is actuly unbelievable nonsense. At the time it was considered to be romantic comedy . I still found it funny . But, attitudes have changed and the young seem to weighed down with moral indignation , So possible not a film for everybody .