Last Movie You Watched...

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
Die Hard 5: A Good Day to Die Hard.
“Die Hard 13: So Very F*ckin’ Tired.” You know it will happen.

I’ve been buying cheap blu-rays of films I like, when I find them for $5 or so, because the increasing popularity of streaming films plus the increasing balkinization of streamed films makes me skeptical I won’t have to pay money to stream them in the future.

Recently scored the remake of “True Grit” for $5. Hope to watch it soon. A rare remake of a classic that IMHO surpasses the classic.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby and I watched Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome last night (LOVE that movie!), and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Both classics in their own right. :D

Diana Hignutt

AKA Dr. Velocity
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Great Gatsby. DiCaprio version. It takes a lot of heat, but is visually sumptuous, and captures the feel of the book pretty well. "Borne ceaselessly into the past."

Reactions: Albedo and telford

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I went into a theater this weekend for the first time since Feb 2020 and saw The Green Knight. A stunningly beautiful film, much more meditative and hallucinatory than I think my companions were expecting -- if you want a classic action-y "fantasy movie" experience this isn't the movie you want. But I thought it was fantastic! (In more than one sense.) The next time I watch it I may even understand what I'm seeing. Although I don't think there's any possible explanation for the Giants. They just are.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Finally caught Godzilla vs Kong last night. I got what i wanted from it - big beasties knocking lumps out of each other. Nice rendering of a hollow earth too. The humans just got in the way and could easily have been left out entirely.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching The Suicide Squad. After the trainwreck they called the first movie I was leery at best. But Diana summed it up. What a hoot.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Movies? What these things you speak of?

ummm…Bull Durham (for the billionth time I think) 🙂

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
I went into a theater this weekend for the first time since Feb 2020 and saw The Green Knight. A stunningly beautiful film, much more meditative and hallucinatory than I think my companions were expecting -- if you want a classic action-y "fantasy movie" experience this isn't the movie you want. But I thought it was fantastic! (In more than one sense.) The next time I watch it I may even understand what I'm seeing. Although I don't think there's any possible explanation for the Giants. They just are.
I really want to see that. Last week I watched A Ghost Story on Netflix because it's the same director and I heard that was good too. It's not for everyone, but I thought it was very well done and emotional.

Reactions: Calla Lily

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
Finally watched Perfect Blue. I can see why it was a big deal in 1997 when it was released.

It's funny how the internet is regarded as a novelty, and the lead character asks what the "world wide web" is.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

Calla Lily

Charmingly manic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Green Knight. We paid for yesterday's stream.

Dev Patel was terrific. Sarita Choudhury and Alicia Vikander were great. Cinematography was lush and evocative, especially in its use of colors. Music was good. The FX were all well done.

And it was at least 20-30 minutes too long. The attempts at mildly funny lined fell flat. I kept reciting parts of MP & the HG every so often. The fox needed Pixar. We both lost interest at about the 40-minute mark and finished it only because we paid for it.

Without spoiling, I will say I've never been so relieved at a twist ending. The final section gave hints at the twist but I was so glad it actually happened.

Calla Lily

Charmingly manic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I really want to see that. Last week I watched A Ghost Story on Netflix because it's the same director and I heard that was good too. It's not for everyone, but I thought it was very well done and emotional.
When the giants showed up, my son and I both said 'Attack on Titan'!

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
JAWS is on the tube right now (amc). It's still scary! Still holds up. Wow, when this was released, everyone and their dog and saw it! Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkkkk!!!!!!!!

🦈

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
I bought Fantastic Beasts: Two Film Collection and watched them both on the computer with my grandson last week. First movies I've watched in a long time.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Green Book .I watched it at the cinema about 4 years ago and is well worth watching again . It's the true story about the Jazz pianist Don Shirley employing a bouncer , Frank Vallelonga , to drive him on his tour . It is both funny and moving . I would defy anybody not to like it .

Last edited:
Reactions: telford

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Green Book .I watched it at the cinema about 4 years ago and is well worth watching again . It's the true story about the Jazz pianist Don Shirley employing a bouncer , Frank Vallelonga , to drive him on his tour .
Probably not as true as a lot of movie-goers thought. The family of Dr. Donald Shirley had a lot of complaints about the inaccuracy of some fairly large details: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...f-lies-according-to-dr-donald-shirleys-family

I believe Masherhala Ali was moved to apologize to the family.

It is both funny and moving . I would defy anybody not to like it .
I like your enthusiasm, wish I'd gotten to this film by now. That said, it's a pretty controversial one at this point. Lawrence Ware at the NYT wrote:
The screenplay essentially turns Shirley into a black man who thematically shapeshifts into whoever will make the story appealing to white audiences - and that's inexcusable.
I know a number of people who saw it and have roughly this opinion. Won't keep me seeing it to form my own opinion of course. Been on the watchlist for a while.

Reactions: Introversion

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Probably not as true as a lot of movie-goers thought. The family of Dr. Donald Shirley had a lot of complaints about the inaccuracy of some fairly large details: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...f-lies-according-to-dr-donald-shirleys-family

I believe Masherhala Ali was moved to apologize to the family.

I like your enthusiasm, wish I'd gotten to this film by now. That said, it's a pretty controversial one at this point. Lawrence Ware at the NYT wrote:

I know a number of people who saw it and have roughly this opinion. Won't keep me seeing it to form my own opinion of course. Been on the watchlist for a while.
I have no Idea how accurate the film was. I do know the tour took a year to complete, rather than two months in the film . So the development of relationship was speeded up . As a non American the most depressing thing was the segregation of races in 1961. Don Shirly was a gifted musician, educated in the USSR , from a lower middle class family ,gay and black . I believe feeling a bit isolated might be true.

Last edited:

JJNotAbrams

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched The Green Knight. I have to say that it is one hell of an experience. Visually, it's stunning. It's like a dark fantasy epic and I love it.

Diana Hignutt

AKA Dr. Velocity
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Green Knight. Surreal and visually interesting. I liked it ok, but didn't love it.

ETA; The more I think about this movie the more I like it. Only very special movies usually do that for me, so take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Featured Book