The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If the doggie waste is in a tied-off plastic bag, I don't mind people putting it in my can if the can is out. I do get annoyed when they don't pick it up from the yard, so if putting it in the can helps then no worries from me. I live on a heavily dog walked street.

Some of my neighbors mind, but life's too short to let little things be a bother.
I wasn't aware dog waste, even in a plastic bag, was a recyclable item... (Yes, they leave it in the big blue recycle bin sometimes.)

And sibling came home from work, so that sorta put a hole in the evening. Hopefully she's settling down soon and I can get back to my own stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: CWNitz

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do we have a "Dear Lord, how stupid can you be?" thread?

This dude. Owns the far right company "lions not sheep" which makes fancy outdoor wear. Trumpster, gun nut, the works. He's been fined hundreds of thousands of dollars by the FTC for cutting out the "made in China" tags on the clothing he sells and replacing them with "Made in USA" tags.

How did the FTC find out? He posted a video bragging that he can do this.

I honestly just can't even.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the doggie waste is in a tied-off plastic bag, I don't mind people putting it in my can if the can is out. I do get annoyed when they don't pick it up from the yard, so if putting it in the can helps then no worries from me. I live on a heavily dog walked street.

Just pretend I never posted this.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't aware dog waste, even in a plastic bag, was a recyclable item... (Yes, they leave it in the big blue recycle bin sometimes.)

And sibling came home from work, so that sorta put a hole in the evening. Hopefully she's settling down soon and I can get back to my own stuff.
My bad, :oops:. I thought for some reason you were talking about the trash bin. No it's definitely not cool putting anything in the recycle bin that isn't recyclable.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score

Some of my neighbors mind, but life's too short to let little things be a bother.
Also depends whether they put it in the right bin and preferably before collecting. [EDIT: didn't see last few posts when writing.]

I've sent quite a few curses after the jerk that cleared his car ash tray into my garden waste bin. Stank to high heaven too in the summer heat wave. Same for the guy that tossed in plastic candy wrappers two weeks later. (Frankly I expect they're one and the same jerk.) Fun fun fun, trying to fish that junk from the bottom of an empty 240L bin!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Also depends whether they put it in the right bin and preferably before collecting. [EDIT: didn't see last few posts when writing.]

I've sent quite a few curses after the jerk that cleared his car ash tray into my garden waste bin. Stank to high heaven too in the summer heat wave. Same for the guy that tossed in plastic candy wrappers two weeks later. (Frankly I expect they're one and the same jerk.) Fun fun fun, trying to fish that junk from the bottom of an empty 240L bin!
Oh yikes!

Ashtray waste can transfer tobacco mosaic disease to your garden plants.

Not only does it affect tobacco (and the decorative nicotiana flowers), it also blights tomato, pepper, eggplant, spinach, petunia, and marigold plants.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for tobacco mosaic disease!

Sunday morning, and sinuses and head and allergies are not happy today. Need to get some writing in today, relatives pending, as I have to shop tomorrow and Mom has an appointment Tuesday. Mergh...

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Boo for tobacco mosaic disease!

Sunday morning, and sinuses and head and allergies are not happy today. Need to get some writing in today, relatives pending, as I have to shop tomorrow and Mom has an appointment Tuesday. Mergh...
Good luck with your allergies. Allergies are awful!

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I always said I would make sure I have no scenes on boats, because my knowledge of ships is summed up as floats = gud

And here I am, knee-deep in comparisons of 17th century ships from around the world, trying to figure out what the heck a bulkhead is and why a 24 foot long rudder would be good or bad instead of writing :e2paperba

Edit: boats are terrible and I hate them. Why did I write in a naval battle? Why? Now my brain is full of weird words link 'clinkers' and 'strakes' and 'chines' and I am married to a dang NAVY MAN who said "yeah, I don't speak old boat" and walked away

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I always said I would make sure I have no scenes on boats, because my knowledge of ships is summed up as floats = gud

And here I am, knee-deep in comparisons of 17th century ships from around the world, trying to figure out what the heck a bulkhead is and why a 24 foot long rudder would be good or bad instead of writing :e2paperba
I mean, once I started looking into big old ships I started falling in love with the terminology.

"futtock shroud"
"futtock shroud"
"futtock shroud"

• Haha
Reactions: MaeZe

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, once I started looking into big old ships I started falling in love with the terminology.

"futtock shroud"
"futtock shroud"
"futtock shroud"
The thing that makes it even more annoying for me is that these ships are sailing from a fantasy land that is closest to real-world Vietnam, and there is so freaking little information in comparison to European sailing history. Thank god the POV character doesn't know sh*t about boats, so I think I can get away with winging a lot of it. I just like understanding all the pieces before I write about something, and this is way more than I bargained for :Hammer:

Reactions: MaeZe

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The thing that makes it even more annoying for me is that these ships are sailing from a fantasy land that is closest to real-world Vietnam, and there is so freaking little information in comparison to European sailing history. Thank god the POV character doesn't know sh*t about boats, so I think I can get away with winging a lot of it. I just like understanding all the pieces before I write about something, and this is way more than I bargained for :Hammer:
You might be able to find information from people who build historical ship models.

They tend to be scary accurate and super detailed. I got better information from model ship-building books than from many books ostensibly about the history of ships.

I don't know for certain, but I bet there are people out there whose hobby involves historic Southeast Asian boat models.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
You might be able to find information from people who build historical ship models.

They tend to be scary accurate and super detailed. I got better information from model ship-building books than from many books ostensibly about the history of ships.

I don't know for certain, but I bet there are people out there whose hobby involves historic Southeast Asian boat models.
Lol, it's so funny you mention it--I was watching hobbyist youtube videos on just that! I think I have enough for draft one, but I will probably have to find a model hobbyist to flesh things out as I edit (if my father were alive, I could just buy him one for a present and make him do my research for me :ROFLMAO: )

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Edit: boats are terrible and I hate them. Why did I write in a naval battle? Why? Now my brain is full of weird words link 'clinkers' and 'strakes' and 'chines' and I am married to a dang NAVY MAN who said "yeah, I don't speak old boat" and walked away
"Floats = gud" is the basic rule of all maritime activity, from "man-overboard!" through sitting on a log paddling with your feet, to submarines.

If my dad was still alive, I'd send him down to Florida to lecture at you! He was fluent in 'old boat'.
BTW, you're in Florida? Anywhere near the water? Look for wooden boat shows, or the people who go these. Because, really, some things haven't changed since Noah built the Big Boat.

A few basics from stuff I picked up from the old guy (my dad, not Noah):

Bulkheads - internal divisions in the hull of a ship (length or width). Divisions provide support for the deck, separate spaces for activities, and, esp. on a cargo ship, a way of stopping the cargo from slopping around. Or, in the case of cattle, wandering - you don't want the weight to suddenly shift and put the boat off-balance.(Smaller the boat, the more important this is.)
The heavier the cargo is, the nearer the center and the lower in the boat it should be. Ballast (rocks along the keel 'backbone' of the boat) is also used to keep the down-side down.

In a boat 'clinker' is a way of forming the sides, not a left-over from a fire.
There are two ways of putting up the hull of a wooden boat: clinker and caravel. Both require skilled shapers of wood.
In caravel building the planks (strakes) are carefully shaped to fit tightly, one above the other, to form smooth, sleek looking sides to a boat.
Clinker-building is the Norse tradition - like a Viking ship? With the ridges all the way across?
The boards (strakes) are overlapped, beveled and fastened together (clinched = clinked) with the lower edge showing. Like wood siding on a house.
(Alternate name: lapstrake.)
Even if your character knows nothing about boats, clinker or carvel would be obvious at a glance, even if the character didn't know the what or why.

And now I will shut up, as you doubtless know this already from the videos and model-building books.

You might also try the Children's Non-Fiction of your nearest library, there are some nice kid's books of historic ships that have illustrations of the parts and names, etc. Sometimes a picture is better than a thousand words.
Sorry, idiot me forgot that you are a librarian, working in a library, and know all about the children's non-fiction. :e2zipped::gone:

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
After an entire weekend of a phone ringing almost incessantly with the same scam call about "approving an order", I am about to hunt down whoever invented robocallers and punch them repeatedly in the skull.

Gah... shut up, already, you lousy phone!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
~15:00 And they just went by in formation! Definitely closer than before!

15:34 - Four in formation this time. The Sun was glistening off their silver bodies.
Five in formation, just when I was about to give up. My son near Greenlake hasn't heard them but he says his poor dog has been afraid of something. The poor thing hides in the closet apparently.

And four more... well, that's it for this year's Seafair. If it's like in the past I might see them flying off away from the sunset.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I learned what bulkheads were from Star Trek. Perhaps best not to apply the other technical terms I learned there when writing about ancient sailing vessels...

I decided I'd give Smaugust a whirl after all.

One: dragons. Nuff said.

Two: if I use the Sisyphuses to keep writing, might apply the same principle to art instead of just moaning I never do art anymore.

Three: Either way this goes, I intend to blame BD for this. :roll:

Smaugust week one

I decided to keep it simple for the start and went for my standard little dragon. Noticed by Friday, I hadn't left enough room for three more days :e2shower:so I slightly cheated.

Reactions: Brightdreamer

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for more Smaugust!

Just put my entry for today on my Facebook page. Now I'm in the lull before having to deal with dinner.

And the robocaller keeps calling. I think we're up to about 15 calls today.

I want to kill the robocaller.

(ETA - Put my Smaugusts up on Flickr, for the bored...)

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for more Smaugust!

Just put my entry for today on my Facebook page. Now I'm in the lull before having to deal with dinner.

And the robocaller keeps calling. I think we're up to about 15 calls today.

I want to kill the robocaller.

(ETA - Put my Smaugusts up on Flickr, for the bored...)
I love your Smaugusts: Earth, Water, Air and Snacks?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love your Smaugusts: Earth, Water, Air and Snacks?
Well, it's a hot day, so "ice" somehow became "ice cream" in my head, and it's been a long time since I had a good banana split, largely because I can't eat a whole banana anymore without a mild allergic reaction...

Sorta snowballed from there...

And it's Sunday evening, and weirdly humid in the house. It got warm today, but not quite 90F here. Dinner's done and consumed and leftovers put away, so there's not much left to do with the day; think I'll give my rougher-than-rough Sisyphus the rest of the day to chill. Might kick over to reading instead, though I should probably try catching up on site work (yes, I'm behind already, seven days into the month). Sibling won't be home for another hour, so I should use the quiet time to be productive.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, BD, those are absolutely amazing! The first one looks like it could function as a National Stargazing Night official poster in a heart beat!

Doodles, she said!

I'm gonna need to up my game, clearly.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Monday morning, sunny again, not supposed to be quite as warm but we shall see.

Heading out soon for shopping, after which I hope to get more writing done. This particular story does not lend itself to long and rambling (could be, but doesn't really need or want it), so again I'm left with wondering if I shouldn't write similarly lean offerings for the other two prompts. And I also have today's Smaugust to deal with.

(Got site stuff done last evening, in a rare bout of creativity.

I am so sick of shopping trips...

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Shopping trips are like laundry, there is never any forseeable end to them!