The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I misread the clock. I don't usually have any alcohol before five pm. It was three pm and I poured myself a shot of Drambuie because I though the clock said five.. My brain was really on 'it's time' mode because it's light out and it gets dark at 4:30. Oh well, it tastes so good.

Meanwhile I think I finally have an explanation for why I've been getting weaker and weaker. There is an autoimmune symptom/disorder that attacks the muscles.

You know those people you hear about who go to doctor after doctor with something that finally gets diagnosed after years? Yes some of them really don't have anything but some of them actually do. I'm sure I'm in the category 'the doctors aren't taking me seriously'.

Now I think I figured out what it is.

My autoimmune disease has been rare from the start. I can't find a single other case of someone whose mouth is attacked by those auto-antibodies. Mine is one and it's well documented with obvious signs and biopsies. In other words it's not my imagination.

One clue to what's going on now: If my arms are exposed to Sun for more than ten minutes or so the reaction doesn't occur until the next day. The next day my arms look like one giant confluent hive reaction: red, swollen and itchy as all get off.

For more than a year, maybe two, I've had increasingly weak muscles and the day after I do much in the way of exercise I get pain for a few days. It's like the pain you get when you've walked all day at Disneyland (or any other long term exertion you aren't used to). It's due to lactic acid buildup in your muscles.

And I've been increasingly short of breath. I get short of breath walking to the mailbox but I can mow the lawn, or rake, or blow the pine needles off my very long driveway.

My heart and lungs have been thoroughly tested and they're fine except for a bit of asthma.

So the doctors say it's just because I'm overweight and don't exercise. But that's a chicken and egg problem. If I exercise it hurts the next day and the prednisone I'm on causes increased weight gain. So I exercise less and less.

I kept telling the doctors over and over, it's more than that. I've never been one not to get a lot of exercise until now. Friday when I fell and my leg muscles were too weak for me to stand up I decided to look at what kind of autoimmune diseases can cause that. And sure enough, it's rare but known to occur.

This isn't like fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome for which no observable signs can be found, though those people have my sympathy. There should be blood tests and more biopsies that show inflammation. Now I just need the Kaiser doctors to listen to me. I think they will if I bring in the research.

Unfortunately I'm already on the maximum amount of prednisone I want to be on. Maybe I can work on a more consistent regimen of NSAIDs.

Thank you all for being there to listen to my frustration. :) No hugs needed. :D

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
FWIW, I've been off on time all day, too... not just "I thought it was 8 but it's 9", but like "I think it's late morning and it's afternoon". I think it's the gray.

And fingers crossed you can get someone to listen to you. (In my family's experience, it usually takes an ER trip to get someone who will frellin' realize that something's frellin' wrong... if then.)

(ETA: For the record, I bit on the cheap Hulu offer. Just couldn't say no to twelve bucks for a year, even with "limited ads"...)

Last edited:
Reactions: MaeZe

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you're not wrong. Maybe I just should restart writing for myself. Clearly I'm not coping with life as well right now anyway. Can't hurt to try and get some endorfines flowing with story construction... Would be nice to get out of this funk.
I MAY be able to recommend a fun writing event that might stoke them writing fires......

Morning, gang.

Whut up?

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for chapter inspiration!

Monday morning (marginally), and I cleared another book review. (Short review: disappointing.) So the deck is now officially cleared for the ninth and final Expanse novel. Which should be here tomorrow... though once in a while they've been known to arrive a day early... *twitches, trying not to obsessively check for delivery*

Reactions: MaeZe

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a good replacement MP3 player for my creative zen micro that disappeared. (Still stumped on where it went. Seldom took it out the house and have since then upended every drawer and cupboard but no joy.)

And you'd think in the years since the model was discontinued there would be good replacements but apparently, no?

No one seems to find the bits I want (playlists and shuffle) as interesting and it means you have to go through reams of specs and reviews to find what you want to know and the reviews themselves are not very hopeful. So frustrating. If they could make a good MP3 player 15 years ago, why can't they now? I wish I hadn't lost mine to begin with. :e2bummed: Sure, the battery was as good as gone but I probably would have been able to replace that.

I MAY be able to recommend a fun writing event that might stoke them writing fires......
Hah! You don't say. :roll:

But I wasn't planning on missing it...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My favorite MP3 (an Iyzer) recently died. No warning, just won't turn on anymore. Have a backup, a Ruizu, but it's not as compact. Near as I can tell, most people are just streaming music or using their cell phones instead of using MP3 players... which really sucks for those of us who would rather not drain phone batteries or fool with subscription services or would just plain rather have a dedicated device. (I'm still looking for a viable solution for listening to music at work that won't nearly kill off my cell battery in a 5-hour shift and doesn't require switching to a separate device... YouTube is a hoover, and YouTube Music - which one would think would sip less power - is at least as bad.) And I still can't get one that will import a playlist, that you don't have to build on the device as you go.

And it's a little later on Monday. Finished site stuff, ate lunch, might want to get out to my workshed (because I didn't get out there yesterday.) Later I will haul the empty bins up the road, 'cause it was just too wet and dismal yesterday and I didn't wanna, and if I wait long enough the mail might be there and there might be a book and I really want to get that book and where is my book why can't I have my book already Amazon you've come through a day early before why is my book not here...

--

Monday evening. Transcription site was being buggy and slow, so I gave up on that. And Amazon isn't sending my book until tomorrow, when it's supposed to arrive "before 10 PM." Tomorrow being a work night, that means I may not get a chance to start it until Wednesday evening. Dang it, Amazon...

--

Tuesday morning, and it's here! It's here! Leviathan Falls is here - delivered before 9 AM!

(And now relatives are being loud and Mom is making noises about wanting to go on a shopping trip, so I can't start reading it... gaaahh!)

--

And it's Tuesday evening. May wind down the day early so I can get some solid reading time in now that family (hopefully) won't family all over me. (As for the rest of the day... gray and dismal and only marginally productive. And Dad, who had been doing relatively okay after we took over med distribution to be sure he actually took them, got confused trying to get dressed after his bath this afternoon and was trying to wear shirts as pants, which is not a very good sign with his dementia. Soooo... yeah.)

Last edited:
  • Hug

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shit, I did it again! I didn't pick my feet up far enough to clear the curb and ended up face/knee planting on the sidewalk.

No one saw me or if they did they didn't acknowledge me. People around here generally rush over to help someone who falls like that so I'm pretty sure no one saw me.

My glasses flew off and I was worried they broke. But they didn't except the frames are a tiny bit scratched. No broken bones, just knee bruises upon the knee bruises I got on Friday.

I had eight dollars in my hand which I dropped. Since I went for some kleenex in the car to catch the blood dripping off my forehead I didn't notice for a few minutes and it's a bit breezy out so by the time I did notice the money was nowhere in sight. But perseverance paid off and I found the money one bill at a time across the parking lot.

Yay, the incident is resolved. My body may take an extra day but that's okay. This is one more incident I can report to the doctor to get a proper workup for autoimmune myositis. I haven't emailed her yet, stuff backed up today and I got some but not everything done.

If I had stopped hanging around on the internet I could have gotten more done.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll get everything done tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Maeze, if this is continuing like this, I'm going to have to wrap you up in bubble wrap. :oops:

*Froggy who is also not getting things done by hanging around on the internet*

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some shin guards around here someplace.

Today I have one very sore, still very swollen lower leg. All of my injuries have occurred on my left side. My head only has a scrape and so far nothing that threatens to look like a black eye.

Anyway, my next challenge is to resist food until I lose enough weight that my muscles can do a better job.

*MaeZe who is also not getting things done by hanging around on the internet*

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for repeat trips! (And left sides, in my experience, always are the worst. Broke my left arm as a kid. Lost the tip of my left ring finger. And my left ovary was the one that morphed into the 25-pound benign cystadenoma requiring emergency removal...)

As for Sisyphus... still deciding on this one. It's going to be a Not Fun holiday season, what with various Things flyin' at me, so I'm trying to gauge how much gas I'm gonna have in the creative tank before I commit.

Anyway, 'tis Wednesday, late afternoon but it feels like evening because gray and dim. Work was impossible. Got a turkey in the oven, which will give us food tonight and leftover food tomorrow, which is good because I lose tomorrow evening driving Mom to her PT (more reading time in the car, so that much is good.) And I figured out how to load some of my music onto my cell phone's SD chip and use an MP3 player downloaded from Google play for that. Seems easier on the battery than other music options I've tried - maybe a little easier than Overdrive, even. (Will be going back to Overdrive and a new audiobook tomorrow, probably; I wanted to test the MP3 thing for a full workday today.)

I suppose I ought to consider starting gravy and potato to go with turkey...

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hope your holiday season will shape up to be better than feared, BD.

Sometimes I wonder whether this house has acquired a ghost cat. Lately there have been too many times that both cats are accounted for and the floor boards creak just like there is a cat walking acros them. They make a very specific sound and before this I never heard it without a cat appearing. It's been two seasons now at least so it's not just the changing atmosheric conditions. It's funny because I don't believe in ghosts but I can't think of a better explanation and the idea of ghost cats is somewhat strangely soothing.

Reactions: Brightdreamer

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*sets out bucket of hugs and bubble wrap for those who need them*

I'm getting annoyed with Word. It did some kind of massive update about a week ago and most things seem normal, but first it turned on Dark Mode without asking me, and then this morning, my doc opens in the "web layout" without asking. STOP CHANGING MY SETTINGS, WORD!!!!

This week has been suuuuuper busy. Lots of parental doctor appointments and the like, most of them in the morning or early afternoon since mom can't drive in the evening sunlight with her cataract the way it is. I think this confirms my decision not to do Sisyphus, as her twice weekly PT, and post op appointments will continue for a while. There's also been some brief discussion about the possibility of cochlear implants and obviously she'll need that cataract taken care of at some point. I've also signed up to possibly beta read a friend's novel. If she picks me as part of the team, I'll be asked to get that read during January, so yeah. No need to overload myself. I'll be back to Sisyphusing next year, hopefully.

In less super busy news, though, we've got the house all decorated for Christmas and that makes me happy. :)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
On "ghost cats", I'm very much a believer in "energy recordings" (or whatever they are), things that seem to "replay" in certain locations. I've experienced them myself - and not just me, other people around me. (I also still have extremely vivid, edge-of-waking dreams where cats are walking up the bed to wake me to feed them, but I know that's just my mind being a jerk reminding me that I don't have cats anymore, even so many years later.)

And I hear ya on parental appointments being a major Thing with age, EFB... going to be losing my afternoon to one today after work. (TBH, she should be having more of these appointments: they're the PT she always needed for last year's thyroidectomy that still has her feeling half-garroted. But for some reason she keeps being bumped to the back of the list and we don't know why.) Fingers crossed the cataract thing happens sooner rather than later; everyone I know who had it done says they wish they'd done it sooner.

Anyway, 'tis Thursday morning, drizzly, and heading out to work soon on minimal sleep. Brain is doing one of those "what is sleep?" phases the past few nights. Frell off, brain...

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waffling on participating in this year's Sisyphus, I've been off and on with being able to make myself sit down and do the thing...the thing with words...where you create things by....putting words together....that....thing ever since the world went mad last year.

But I'm back lurking on the threads so we'll see if I catch motivation to do a story.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The madness really hit in 2016 for me and has just gotten worse every successive year; everything that looked like a respite was just a setup for even worse things. I'm pretty sure there's never actually going to be an upswing at this point, just varying grades of downslope...

Anyway, back from another pointless work day, chilling for a bit before heading back out into the dismal gray for Mom's PT thing. Topping off the charge in my little clamp reading light, so I can at least get in some Leviathan Falls whilst I wait. And dinner just needs a little reheating; leftover turkey night to the rescue... (Wish I could trust the sibling to make simple gravy from a packet, so that much would be done by the time we get back home, but she can't reliably open a can that's already open without an hours-long production and drama and howling.)

If I had energy after work, I'd clear another Expanse ep, but I'm sorta staring at a wall and tired. We were down a person and up totes. There's no logical reason why that should drain me more, as we're already understaffed and I don't think I'm working that much harder, but it does drain me...

--

And it's Thursday evening. Sibling did manage to get dinner ready on her own (though she did get singed by the bubbling gravy, because she can't do anything without an Incident), so that was nice to not have to make dinner.

And what with everything being pushed back by PT, and with me being tired from crud sleep last night, and Mom being a little extra grumbly and yelly because why not, gonna bag half-formed plans to try to squeeze in an Expanse ep tonight and probably crawl into bed early. At least I got some solid reading time in in the car...

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting annoyed with Word. It did some kind of massive update about a week ago and most things seem normal, but first it turned on Dark Mode without asking me, and then this morning, my doc opens in the "web layout" without asking. STOP CHANGING MY SETTINGS, WORD!!!!
Now I'm wondering whether my Word version came with a Dark Mode and suddenly am afraid to find out! :eek: How do you tell!? When it starts forging golden rings and muttering?

On "ghost cats", I'm very much a believer in "energy recordings" (or whatever they are), things that seem to "replay" in certain locations. I've experienced them myself - and not just me, other people around me. (I also still have extremely vivid, edge-of-waking dreams where cats are walking up the bed to wake me to feed them, but I know that's just my mind being a jerk reminding me that I don't have cats anymore, even so many years later.)
Ah yes. I don't know whether there is an established term for it but the concept of something leaving energetic recordings, like a sort of memory, behind is a very fascinating one. I think more people would have encountered something like that far more often than one's more typical ghost.

• Haha
Reactions: E.F.B.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Despite my leg being dark blue from knee to foot, the swelling is much less and it feels almost normal. Yay for no broken bones with these falls.

Boo for a job you hate, BD. As an avid user of the library, I salute you for your sacrifice. :D

Reactions: Brightdreamer

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not so much "active hate" as "seriously tired of being stuck here, but the resume sucks so there's nowhere to go that isn't a step down"... plus "seriously sick of being in the blind spot of both HR and the danged union insofar as being understaffed perpetually"...

And no broken bones is always good.

Friday afternoon, and it's one of those days where shopping takes too long and traffic takes too long and I walk in the door and family is all yelly about everything.

I seriously wish vacation was a viable option, but COVID's still a thing...

--

And Saturday evening. A gray and drizzly day, with a slight gloppiness to the rain to indicate that the snow line is wavering.

Not the most productive of days, but I got a book review posted and I did some exercise and I cleared an Expanse ep in the rewatch. If something doesn't turn up soon on the transcription site (and it ain't lookin' good, TBH), will probably clear a second Expanse ep, which would give me two to clear (ideally) tomorrow to bring me up to the end of S5.

Then I can fill the gap with another show while waiting on the new season. Am leaning toward Arcane on Netflix; I've heard nothing but great things about that, even from people who (like me) don't play the game it's based on.

Nine minutes, transcription site... give me something doable in nine minutes, or it's back to the Rocinante I go...

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Busy day. Tired, but not in a bad way.

Yesterday, we saw a bald eagle flying way up high and being harassed by a crow. It did what is apparently common behavior for them when harassed, and took an updraft until it got so high the crow could no longer get enough oxygen in order to follow. Eagle then flew off somewhere else. This morning, we were driving over the nearby river and lo and behold, eagle was sitting on a rock in the river! We've lived here for over twenty years and only seen the rare fly-over of a bald eagle or two in the past two years. Today was the first I've ever seen a real, live, bald eagle that close. Pretty cool!

Dad, being Dad, (because if he and his entire side of the family had nothing to worry about, they'd have nothing to do) of course has immediately gone into anxiety mode that "it better not be out here trying to hunt our dogs!!!" Yes, our thirty and eighty pound dogs. Even though according to... y'know... ACTUAL SCIENTISTS who observe them for a living, a bald eagle can only pick up and carry 5-8 pounds, not to mention they don't seek out dogs to hunt them. Juvenile ones may occasionally attempt to go for something heavier and/or an inappropriate prey target, but if it's over 5-8 pounds they physically cannot lift it. Cats and pocket dogs may rarely get snatched, but again, it's not common, they have to be under that weight limit, and cats and dogs aren't a part of their natural diet. But yeah, dad's going to worry because that's apparently a genetic trait in his side of the family, so. further eagle sightings near the house at least will probably be kept between me and mom. Hopefully if we see them near the river consistently it might help him understand that they really only care about fish.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Always cool to see raptors. (And another reason not to let cats and small dogs run around unleashed...)

Sunday, nearly noon, and just got back from a Walgreen's run with Mom. (She's in a Not Good place mentally, what with Dad's undeniable decline and the sibling's undeniable inability to handle anything and finances and other crud, so she needed to get out of the house for a bit. Wish I could do more to help, but that would require at least a second job at this point... Sigh. Ask me again how I know 2022 is going to probably be worse than 2021...)

Anyway, need to scrounge some lunch, then hit the workshed for sanding and priming of ornaments. Then I need to exercise and get an Expanse ep watched (two if I can pull it off), and at some point dinner needs to happen...

Mergh. At least it's not raining today.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
So after tearing apart my room for months now looking for my mp3 player I found it today, quite by accident, as I needed to move some furniture right next to the bed. It had slipped behind the bedpost and was essentially invisible from every angle but one, which was blocked by furniture.

I am ridiculously pleased with finding it again. It seems to be charging still! Gonna try and see tomorrow if it still plays. Love this little miracle. And hey, every drawer and cupboard in my room is now entirely decluttered. Win-win.:banana::e2woo:

This morning, we were driving over the nearby river and lo and behold, eagle was sitting on a rock in the river! We've lived here for over twenty years and only seen the rare fly-over of a bald eagle or two in the past two years. Today was the first I've ever seen a real, live, bald eagle that close. Pretty cool!
Ooh that's cool! A pity your dad can't appreciate it but at least your mom and you can do so privately.

Sunday, nearly noon, and just got back from a Walgreen's run with Mom. (She's in a Not Good place mentally, what with Dad's undeniable decline and the sibling's undeniable inability to handle anything and finances and other crud, so she needed to get out of the house for a bit. Wish I could do more to help, but that would require at least a second job at this point... Sigh. Ask me again how I know 2022 is going to probably be worse than 2021...)
I'm sorry. 🫂

Someone said to me this weekend and I kid you not: "Cheer up! 2022 can't possibly be worse! The only way is up!"

And it took quite a bit of self control not to list at least five things from the top of my head that could very well be worse in 2022 than in 2021.

Imagination is a dreadful thing sometimes.:e2woo: