The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
New cars are a nightmare these days. I've driven loaner cars when mine was in the shop. So many things, so many distractions, and there was no way to tell if your car was locked because it locks or unlocks when the key fob is close to the car. And it shut off at every traffic light: something about getting a better milage rating. That was hard to get used to. What if it doesn't start when the light turns green?
The first time I rented a Prius, it was because my old Taurus had been dying at stoplights. I even had to be push-bumped out of the intersection by a cop after it died on me less than a week after the shop said it was fixed. (And I mean that: literally, the cop had to intentionally "ram" the car...)

When the engine died at stops, I had minor heart attacks every time, even knowing what it was doing and why...

Other than that, though, and the annoying spoiler thingy that cut right across my line of sight in the rear view, I could get used to one of those; roomier than expected, with more power.

Though it did take us far too long to figure out how to start the thing. (And I know someone at work who had Issues when their magic fob developed a glitch and started screaming that it was stolen every time they left the house.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bought my little buddy some new dog food today. It's the wet food in a can that smells like tuna even though it's chicken and rice. I decided I'm just going to spoil her instead of fighting her over the food she doesn't eat.

I'm on my last day of an antibiotic for a cellulitis thingy on my leg and I'm worried because it's not all the way gone. Hopefully what remains doesn't have an infection component. I really want to pierce it and see what drains out but the PA in the ED insisted that was old school and nowadays they don't drain the blood from hematomas which is what it started out as.

I think he's wrong. I think it would have healed faster if it had been I&Ded (incised and drained).

There was no broken skin in the first place that bacteria could have gotten in, so maybe it never was infected, just red and swollen when I fell. Time will tell.

We're supposed to get snow on Christmas. That's going to muck with my plans to see my son in Seattle because I don't want to drive in the snow even though I have the proper car for doing so and I have driven in the snow many times.

The problem here is there are lots of hills and those are iffy in the snow. On top of that on Christmas it sounds like it might be more slush than snow. Nothing helps driving on slush.

It's even worse than driving on ice, except when you get an ice rain. Not sure what you call it but the rain freezes when it hits the ground. It coats everything with a solid layer of ice everywhere. You can't walk on an ice layer like that either. No one can drive on it. Cars slide off the road or into other cars.

I think that's all I needed to get out of my system.

Oh, except eBay. Anyone else sell anything on eBay? They have a new system which is fine, PayPal was a mess. But it was a nightmare when I went to ship an item. I finally managed to navigate the new shipping system. We'll see if eBay deposits the money from the purchase into my bank account.

That's it, I'm done. If this was tl;dr, no worries. I mostly just need to vent a bit for my own benefit. I like reading what other people are going through even if I don't always comment on it.

Reactions: TeresaRose

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gah, those silver thaws... don't remind me... Beautiful, but terrifying. (As for driving in winter around here, there's an old article about driving in Seattle snow that hits the nail on the head, written by a man who was convinced Seattlelites were just wusses and didn't know what they were doing until he experienced it himself: we don't get the light fluffy stuff on flat roads so much of the country gets. We get heavy, icy slop on hills. I also remember the one weather guy who made the snide comment that apparently they don't have gravity elsewhere... ice plus hill is a pretty basic physics equation for "where does the car go"...)

As for eBay, everything I hear seems to indicate it just gets less and less user-friendly on both ends.

Fingers crossed the cellulitis takes a hike, and the dog keeps eating...

And I watched another ep of Fantasy Island. Not even sure why I'm watching at this point: fairly shallow and predictable and never digs more than paper deep into its characters or situations (though it's sort of trying with the leads), but it's not trying to be anything deep or profound, and I'm not really in the mood to dedicate a lot of brain power to what I'm watching right now. Part of me keeps thinking that they're still finding their groove, while another is pretty sure this is the groove they're going for.

Probably should consider trudging bedward soonish, maybe by way of a book.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
What if it doesn't start when the light turns green?
Or stall on a crossroads in dense traffic...

I have nightmares like that.

I just hope they get a little less frequent when I can drive. (Must hang on to the thought that I will, one day.)

...but considering the nightmares about missed exams never went away entirely, even after twenty years off the school banks, I'm rather doubtful about that aspect...

I am somewhat attached to older cars as the newer cars seem more like half computers these days, wasting their energy on a whole lot of extras you neither need or want but can't turn off and when a tiny little chip inside breaks your car suddenly turns into an entirely useless lump of metal and carbon, whereas old cars can sometimes be fixed and fixed again sometimes with as much as a rubber band and some ducktape.

Sometimes you can find car manuals online, too. (Pretty sure they'll all be online in the near future anyway, because to heck with anyone not wired up 24/7.)
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a poke around online.

Even now that I've found the lights, it can't hurt to read if there are other useful tips in there, or something like: "for the love of god do NOT press these two buttons together EVER."

Online can be useful but I too have Opinions about people and organisations expecting you to be online permanently. :rant:

And sibling is playing martyr about having to play the walk-in wait game for a COVID booster. Because it's personal that there are too many people (again) wanting not enough shots (again), and she hemmed and hawed and whined and withheld info for so long nothing is available by appointment for months, so it's walk-in or a long, long wait.... gah.
Is your sibling by chance one of those family members who can not be happy unless they can complain about, well, everything. I had an aunt like that, and bless her heart, but being around her for long was draining and exhausting like a one-day-flu infection.

Oh, except eBay. Anyone else sell anything on eBay? They have a new system which is fine, PayPal was a mess. But it was a nightmare when I went to ship an item. I finally managed to navigate the new shipping system. We'll see if eBay deposits the money from the purchase into my bank account.
Sorry, no. I buy there but I've heard too many horror stories about costs to consider selling.

Maybe those stories are out of date now but everybody I know switched to facebook to sell (which I loathe) so I can't compare anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeresaRose

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm on my last day of an antibiotic for a cellulitis thingy on my leg and I'm worried because it's not all the way gone. Hopefully what remains doesn't have an infection component. I really want to pierce it and see what drains out but the PA in the ED insisted that was old school and nowadays they don't drain the blood from hematomas which is what it started out as.

I think he's wrong. I think it would have healed faster if it had been I&Ded (incised and drained).

There was no broken skin in the first place that bacteria could have gotten in, so maybe it never was infected, just red and swollen when I fell. Time will tell.
I have an online friend whose teenaged brother got cellulitis on his leg without any visual evidence of broken skin. It happens. Just keep a close eye on it, please. My dad's been hospitalized twice, back in the late 90's and early 2000's with cellulitis on his leg that got bad fast. Lymphedema therapy (to keep his legs from swelling so big and thereby making it easier for skin to break and become infected) and close monitoring for the early signs of infection have helped him avoid further hospitalizations, at least.

Today, we've got to get the car in for an oil change and do our last big shopping trip before Christmas. We need stuff for our Christmas meals and we're also out of a lot of food and other essentials in general.

ION: My sinuses are sinusating a little bit, though saline spray is helping some. Much as we love having a live Christmas tree each year, I think the whole family is mildly allergic to it. Finally got it decorated last night, so that probably helped stir up some stuff. It is pretty, though.

In writing news, yesterday, I sat down and acted on some feedback on my recently shortened version of my Stone Dragon story from Sisyphus 2017 (I think it was 2017...) It really is much better now. I'm getting excited to try subbing it out starting in January. (Waiting till then because I'd prefer avoiding another Christmas Eve rejection notice like last year. Just wasn't a particularly festive thing to receive.)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The constant complaining is actually more Mom than sibling, though she does a fair bit of that, too. She just is very self-centered, in the way that a kid is self-centered when they can't really conceptualize beyond themselves - can't seem to understand why spending tons of money when she has no job is wrong because buying things makes her feel better, complains that "she can't go anywhere" like it's a personal attack that we have a frellin' pandemic on and both her parents are very vulnerable, can't comprehend that lashing out over every little frustration, like having house-shaking howls when a website is glitchy, takes a huge toll on everyone - and gets these ideas how things should be, then melts down when they aren't (or over-analyzes and spirals into a meltdown on her own.) Lashing out and melting down are how she copes with literally everything, and it often feels like an emotional slug to the gut just being around her, but in her mind it's everyone else treating her poorly and she's perfectly nice and reasonable. It is almost certainly mental illness of some stripe, and has notably degraded over the years, but unless she melts down in front of a medical professional we cannot get her diagnosed, let alone begin to get anything done about it - and, like many people with Issues, she's good at hiding it. (She sort of, almost knows she has problems, depression at the very least, but can't seem to figure out the words to say to get help, and has the family gene for being dismissed by medical professionals anyway., Last time she brought up depression in a medical office, she was told to her face that if she wasn't actively suicidal it didn't count as depression, which is a bald-faced lie but when the the person talking is the doctor, and everything is saying "talk to your doctor" to get help for depression...)

And it's Wednesday morning. Going to have to hit a few places after work (grocery store, auto store probably, gas station if I don't get out of the house early enough to tank up), and hopefully I can stock up enough to avoid going anywhere in the jaws of the coming deep freeze/possible snow Issues.

--

Wednesday afternoon, sloshing towards evening, and it's been a rather dismal and dark day weatherwise.

Work existed. They're saying I haven't done the online training that I did last week, even though it's marked as completed on my end. Do I have to take the frellin' thing again? That's over an hour of my life I don't want to give up for something I've already done...

Sibling actually got her booster shot. Had to go down two hours before the walk-in window opened, and then they made you stand there on your dot ("no dot, no shot", they said) until it was time, but she actually did it, so that's good. And because she's sore and tired from having to stand there so long, she's decided she's not in a dinner mood, so it's nuke-your-own night.

I suppose I ought to bring in my ornaments for the final pics and getting their hangers on them and whatnot...

Last edited:

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
After a marathon day of almost last minute Christmas shopping, I feel like I hit the wall.

And by hitting the wall, I feel like I hit the wall after being launched by trebuchet, the impact followed up by a celebratory 21 canon salute of my surviving the day of shopping.

On the bright side, we snagged a ~$300 artificial Christmas tree for just ~$130. I found that tree, I'm proud of finding that tree. I wasn't going to leave that tree, wondered how to tell Spouse where I was, turn right at the decorations doesn't help much when the entire store is Christmas decorations on display and for sale. Kid found me, then got Spouse who guarded the tree while Kid and I found ornaments.

Which leaves a cart full of gifts to be wrapped. Three gifts wrapped. The rest? Tomorrow. They will be wrapped tomorrow!

Then the Christmas Eve party with Spouse's extended family. I will be appropriately medicated for that trial. And finally, a relatively calm and quiet Christmas morn here. As quiet as it can be with a 10yo gas molecule excited to find out what "Santa" brought.

Reactions: MaeZe

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I successfully opened a new credit card, not that I need a new card, I have a gazillion of them. This gives me a year to pay off interest free, no balance transfer fee balance transfers. Interest free deals are how I ended up with so many cards in the first place.

Anyway, I transferred $7K from buying my flu vaccine and charging my homeowner's insurance to the new card. I can pay that off over a year now, free of charge.

I don't have any debt racked up on the other cards, I pay those balances off every month.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for new credit cards and free charges!

Thursday afternoon, and we got out of work early. Was going to pick up a couple more dinner options, maybe something for lunch, but stores are packed today. Did manage to grab back-up trail mix and a car fuse kit (one with a separate puller for larger fuses, so hopefully that helps... and hopefully I have the right kind of replacement fuses, if indeed it is the fuse that's a problem, which I really hope it is because I can do that). Whee.

And right now I'm in pizza limbo; we're doing pizza for dinner, but I have yet to determine when people want pizza, which determines when I need to order it and go out to pick it up (because we don't do delivery here for Reasons), which means I'm still sitting here with my shoes and coat and everything on waiting to hear when it's a go... gah.

--

Later on Thursday, and pizza was purchased, obtained, and consumed. Am finishing off the last of the cheesy bread and cinnamon sticks (with frosting).

Need to write up a review of the audiobook I finished at work (at long frellin' last - stupid pizza limbo ate my afternoon, then eating pizza ate the rest of the evening so far, followed by getting trash ready because apparently they're actually doing trash pickup on Xmas Eve), then I want to watch the third Expanse ep.

Tomorrow, I will be wrestling with car fuses, and if I get ambitious I might try popping off the inner door panel and seeing if I can drain the accumulated water and silicone spray it to reduce the likelihood of it freezing solid in the coming deep freeze. Oh joy, oh rapture... not...

(And I got the review posted. Am still picking at cinnamon sticks; only a couple left, and they don't keep well overnight, so I need to finish them off, but it's slow going. Not that they taste bad or anything, just full of pizza... Now I'm going to see if Amazon Prime has continued its practice of sneak-dropping Expanse eps on Thursdays.)

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite get the credit card thing as that's not a thing we do here, but it sounds like you're happy with it, so yeay? (Although I now am mildly concerned at what your flu vaccine costs over there.)

Which reminds me I need to find another bank as the the one with my saving account is closing next year. *sigh* I dislike having to dig through bank stuff. The conditions are always so dry and there are nearly always little gotchas in the fine print which is often hard to find on their site. Not to mention too many are so keen on mobile apps which I just can't run. And really don't want to either.

So I feel like a dinosaur with all these fastliving mammals telling me I'm behind the times and need to catch up or go... the way of the dinosaur, I'm guessing, and I don't think they mean birds.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A lot of being an American is about finding new, inventive ways to manage massive perpetual debt.

Friday morning, snoozed in after the morning garbage haul down the lane (in the car, 'cause I ain't that dedicated). Was hoping to spend today dealing with car issues: the fuses, maybe popping the door panel off to see if I can drain accumulated liquid and silicone the innards up, etc. But it's been drizzly, and I can't do anything if it's going to rain on me. (We don't have a shelter to park under. Except the dubious shelter of the big Doug Fir in the yard... the one whose needles clog up the little rain gutter channels and may be the major factor in the ongoing mystery leak... sigh.)

Will be poking around trying to find something to do that can't be completely derailed by family. I'm hoping the sibling will be the one to take Mom to pick up her meds today, but I can't hold my breath on that, and until that's determined I'm in limbo again.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite get the credit card thing as that's not a thing we do here, but it sounds like you're happy with it, so yeay? (Although I now am mildly concerned at what your flu vaccine costs over there.)
:ROFLMAO: That was for 500 doses. I give flu shots in my practice.

I'm surprised you've not yet switched to digital money.
Not to mention too many are so keen on mobile apps which I just can't run. And really don't want to either.
I hear you there. I refuse to use mobile aps of any kind especially using credit cards and banking. I'm not convinced your data can't be hijacked by someone standing nearby.

You and I are not dinosaurs. In my case I'm just cautious about potential theft.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Still Friday, Xmas Eve, noonish, and waiting for the kitchen to clear so I can scrounge up something lunchlike.

On the plus side: finally got the defroster fuse pulled and replaced.

On the minus side: it wasn't the fuse. I turned on the car and put on the defroster and walked back to see if I could see any sign of it working or not when I noticed one of the contact areas looked kind of brown... Yeah, turns out it went brittle with age and fell away from the window. (On the plus side again, it is getting power, but it's not getting that power into the window grid... Tried taping it up as a temporary measure, but of course I can't tape it close enough... sigh. There are repair kits that I should be able to do at home, but none that I can get by tomorrow. May order one anyway and hope it gets here before work next week. Or the Tuesday tire appointment. Sigh...)

I also got the driver door panel off and soaked everything I could reach with silicone spray. Even doused the inside of that sorta glitchy lock that's not always happy to turn with the key anymore. Saw a little rust inside, but nothing obvious I could hit with a hammer to fix.

One more thing for the new year.

Yippy skippy.

(And I ordered a repair kit. It was double the cost to get it here by the 30th, when we'll be in a deep freeze anyway, which I'm guessing is not ideal repair conditions. So it's due here the first week of January, when hopefully we'll get above freezing. Meanwhile, will not be fun... especially getting up to the relatives and back tomorrow - assuming the weather allows - with a loaded car and lots of people breathing and making things foggy. But the sibling's car is not at all reliable enough. Sigh...)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of folks are painting their cat converters bright yellow or orange so they can't be taken in for scrap.
That's an idea. It might act as a deterrent if the thieves aren't sure what to make of it.

Maybe I should write 'stolen' on it in bright yellow.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saturday, Xmas Day, and it's slop weather out there with occasional threats of snowflakes.

Lazing about for a while before we head out to the relative gathering. Fingers crossed the deep chill holds off until we're back home...

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer, I may have mised it, but any chance we can see your finished ornaments?

:ROFLMAO: That was for 500 doses. I give flu shots in my practice.
That explains SO much. :ROFLMAO:
I'm surprised you've not yet switched to digital money.
Oh, we have, and each year banks and the government heap up a little more pressure and regulation to go fully digital because only criminals use cash or something. (Yeah, I got Opinions on that too.)

But we don't have the practise of using credit cards for loan management. Come to think of it, it may even be impossible with our regulation to protect people from riskier lending/spending.

You and I are not dinosaurs. In my case I'm just cautious about potential theft.
Yeah. Same here.

In other news, part of the heating installation in the house decided to quit on us right before Christmas Eve. We're not entirely without heat but my room is in the currently unheated part. Fun fun fun. We're fortunate that despite dipping below zero a few days ago, the forcast should be a little warmer the next few days. Here's hoping.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry - didn't get a chance to upload pics of the ornaments.

Not sure about uploading to the new forum, so hoping the Google Images links work: Front and Back

Xmas Day evening, and back from the holiday gathering. Not a bad outing, if a bit rough at the start getting everyone out of the house (and having to circle back once). Mergh... On the way home, we saw some beautiful clouds... then we were driving through a not so beautiful sleetstorm. Snow level is juuust above the house, and dropping...

We also brought home leftovers for picking at, which I'll probably do soon.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those ornaments are really cool, not what I expected from your description of the steps.

Does the time on the clocks mean anything or are they just random?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Those ornaments are really cool, not what I expected from your description of the steps.

Does the time on the clocks mean anything or are they just random?
I thought about trying to make the time meaningful, but decided it was too much effort (a.k.a time crunch hit me) so I went with random. The original plan was for more elaborate ornamentation, actually, but again... time crunch...

--

And it's Sunday morning, after a self-indulgent snooze-in. So far, knock on plywood, not quite as cold as they predicted. Snow is 4.5 inches and still falling; I think the cloud cover is helping it not be as bone-bitingly frigid as the forecasts mentioned, but I won't question our luck overmuch. Am also glad we'll have a nice snow blanket over the plants and trees when the real Fraser Valley chill hose hits us tonight... though it does mean I'll have to shovel the driveway later today.

First up, though, is the room tidying that I put off yesterday (because I don't do tidying on Xmas).

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was Monday for an hour this morning. Yay, it's only Sunday!

And there is more than six inches of snow on the ground. The temperature is 24F (about -4C). It's not going to get above freezing until Thursday so the snow is going nowhere and neither am I if I can help it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Managed the room tidying. Think I'll have an earlyish lunch, then probably trudge out and do some snow shoveling (even though it's still snowing; if I wait for it to stop totally it'll probably be after dark and even colder than it is now...)