La Cantina de la Awesomepeepahs

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the weirdest experience late last night. So I'm watching a science podcast on my laptop in the living room when I hear Rockin Robin music coming from the kitchen. There is no radio, no anything that should be playing Rockin Robin in that room.

I went to investigate and the music stopped. I backed the podcast up to be sure it wasn't coming from there and sounding like it was in the kitchen. It wasn't.

But a minute or two later it came on again. This is getting scary because I thought someone was in the house, maybe upstairs.

By the third time I made sure it wasn't coming from the computer by muting it. Nope, it was coming from the kitchen where there is no radio that could have accidentally come on or been turned on. Besides, it was still playing Rockin Robin and the song wouldn't last that long.

This time when I went closer to the kitchen it stopped again. I waited. Sure enough it came on again, still Rockin Robin and definitely in the kitchen.

I was finally able to pinpoint it. I have this plastic robin that has a motion detector. It plays Rockin Robin when you walk by. But it's on a very cluttered counter and the motion detector is essentially blocked. It's been there since well before the lockdown, I'd say maybe even as long as ten or more years. I didn't remember it was there or that it played Rockin Robin.

For whatever reason, probably low batteries, it began playing and stopping, playing and stopping late into the night. Mystery solved.

Still it was freaky as hell to hear music coming from a room with no radio or anything, late at night and that stopped when I went to see what it was only to come on again when I went back to the couch.

I had to take the batteries out to make it stop.

E.F.B.

Sailing the skies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I had the weirdest experience late last night.
Yep, low batteries will do weird stuff to some tech. I have a tiny atomic alarm clock that goes super wonky when the AA battery gets low. Thankfully the battery always lasts a solid year or more, but the most recent low battery incident happened last month when the darned thing apparently stopped when I fell asleep around 12:15 a.m. and stayed that way until da beagle woke me up with his chronic cough what I knew had to be around 4a.m., only I checked my clock and it said 12:15 and I was like, WHAT THE HECK. Thankfully my phone was nearby and I was able to check to make sure I hadn't gone totally nuts. That was such a weird feeling to know you've been sound asleep for hours, but the clock says something different.

Still... as someone who probably watches too many crime shows, including one that recently had an episode about a psychopath breaking into a woman's house and secretly filming her while plotting her murder, I can totally understand how unexplained music from another room would be a major freak-out moment!

Reactions: MaeZe

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The obvious answer is that the batteries had, in fact, died, and their ghosts were haunting the motion detector. By putting their earthly bodies to rest, you were able to release their restless souls.

Later the same Sunday, and got sanding and the first stage of priming done on ornaments. Thought about trying to do the second part tonight, but it's chilling off out there and I just plain don't wanna. Roughly on track to get them primed and sealed and ready for actual painting to start by next weekend (which is still getting a bit close to Xmas, but given that I often am up past midnight on Xmas Eve trying to will glue or glaze to dry before dawn, not terrible).

Now I need to warm up a bit (was sanding and priming with the shed door open for ventilation), and hopefully get some exercise in before dinner. If not I'll have to do something after dinner, because I can't keep blowing off exercise, dang it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll post pics when I'm done.

And I managed to snag a quick transcription job; it's not much, but it's something. Now I think I'll watch an Expanse episode (may or may not try foot pedaling while I watch, so I can pretend I got some exercise in today). If I'm really ambitious, I'll watch two and finish of S5. We shall see...

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Damn it MaeZe, now I've got Rockin Robin rollin' 'round my head when I should be winding down relaxing for the night, thanks a lot... :roll:

• Haha

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
For the record: I did indeed finish off The Expanse tonight. Still a damned good show, and I'm so looking forward to the start of the final season this Friday (though sometimes they drop early on Thursday... not that I'll be watching Amazon like a hawk or anything...).

E.F.B.

Sailing the skies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
GAAAH! I mentioned the stupid alarm clock doing stupid things and it decided to do a stupid last night!!! It turned itself back on Daylight Savings Time so I got up an hour early thinking it was 7 only to discover the other clocks in the house said 6! *flips a smibble*

Thing is, it's only been a couple months since I changed the battery after the last stupid incident, so it shouldn't be the battery. The darned thing *is* about one year away from 20 years old. (I got it when I was 9 if you can believe that. It was a gift for my dad that he didn't need, so it went to me.) It may just be saying it's finally time to get a new one. I seriously doubt they make exactly that one, though.

I really like that the screen isn't backlit unless you push a button to look at it, as a lit screen might keep me awake. Though the little battery-induced incidents over the years have been annoying I've liked it running off battery to the extent that we can have some idea of the time when the power goes out. Sigh. This is going to take some looking.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for alarmist alarm clocks!

Monday, late morning, and I managed to secure a booster appointment for later in December. Pfizer, because it's what was available, but I'll take it. (I'm also half-expecting to need another booster some time in 2022 anyway, the way things are going.) About as far out of my way as I went to get my initial dose, so much more convenient than the treks some places were proposing. (And some of them are still hung up on only giving boosters to select populations.) But at least that's done, and that's one less thing to worry about, plus it's an accomplishment so I can pretend I didn't waste my entire morning.

After lunch, I need to exercise (because I blew it off yesterday) and finish ornament priming, not necessarily in that order. Also need to make sure dinner's sufficiently thawed; got a smoked turkey breast. They still want 40-50 bucks for a full-sized smoked frozen turkeys, but the frozen turkey breasts are reasonably priced, about 11 to 12ish bucks, and that's plenty for one family meal.

--

Later the same Monday. Succeeded at exercise and ornament priming and preparing dinner and washing dishes. Failed at transcription, 'cause I just don't have the oomph tonight. (Mom's to the point she admitted she can't even convince herself to shower regularly anymore, which I don't consider a great sign. So on top of Dad's mind failing and the sibling's mental health worsening, Mom's sliding into depression at least, if not some sort of mental decline... I'm already wanting to punch next year in the face and it hasn't even shown up yet.) Might watch something tonight instead, then read until sleep occurs. Want to see if I can finish Leviathan Falls before Season 6 of The Expanse starts. (Not holding my breath on that, but I mean to try.)

--

And Tuesday afternoon, in that lull between doing Other Things and starting dinner where I can't convince myself to start anything, yet I have too much time to not start anything. Managed exercise and the first round of ornament sealing and a little site work and some reading (am up to the halfway point of Leviathan Falls; keeps ratcheting up the tension).

Last night I watched two eps of Netflix's Arcane, the new animated series based on the League of Legends video game (which I am unfamiliar with). Great animation and style and atmosphere, and the pace sometimes pushes toward frantic, but thus far it's decent enough to keep me watching. I hope it breaks away from some heavy trope-leaning soon, though. (And later, I've watched two more eps. Picking up, but the nominal leads - the sisters who end up on opposite sides of a class war tearing a city apart - aren't really the most interesting characters at this point, and one I'm actively hoping falls into a hole and burns alive; if I was supposed to feel any empathy for her, there's a serious storytelling fail going on...)

--

Wednesday morning. Got maybe 2 hours sleep before being woken by sibling repeatedly slamming a door for no earthly reason. Also family was being loud getting Dad ready to go for a foot doctor appointment. And I have to shop my way home after work, so no chance of a make-up nap... plus I really have slim pickings on Overdrive options for work distraction, and an elbow that has decided not to be happy. Urgh, today will be Very Not Fun.

--

Later the same Wednesday. Work was long. Shopping was long. Dinner was a whine-fest from the sibling. Am hoping to get to bed early tonight, and also hoping to read more tonight. (And got good news on the aunt who was having something looked at that might be cancerous; no sign of cancer. She considers that her Xmas gift this year.)

--

And Thursday evening. Work was a thing that existed. Dinner was a thing that also existed. And Amazon dropped the first ep of Season 6 of The Expanse a day early (which was their MO last year, so I was watching for it). So far, so good... if dark, but it's a dark time in the storyline.

Now I might poke at some spitballing, then head to bed and continue reading Leviathan Falls. (Did not clear it before S6, but didn't really expect to... will probably finish it off this weekend. It also is excellent so far.)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another day goes by I didn't get working on my query letter. I fell a week ago, not the time I couldn't get up but the next day. The curb was higher than my brain thought it was.

Anyway, I got up without a problem and besides a huge bruise, it was fine the next day. Fast forward to today. There's one big lump that just hasn't gotten better so I went to the rapid care clinic to get an antibiotic thinking it was cellulitis.

Ha! Nothing rapid about rapid care. After a couple hours in the waiting room, always seems to be the case, I was seen. Shit. They gave me an ultrasound (which I was glad to get) to make sure I didn't have any blood clots and an Xray which I knew I didn't need in case the infection was in the bone (insert eye-roll emoji), and an IV for IV antibiotics which is fine except I have to come back Fri and Sat for 1 more dose each day, which is OK but it's a bit of overkill, (insert another eye-roll).

I don't know if the ED staff (rapid care here is also the ED) want to make you sorry you came, or if they figure since you came they want to make it worth your while, or if I underestimated how bad my leg lump actually was. But it's thoroughly taken care of now.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Those persistent lumps after falls... those things can linger if they don't get broken up. Fingers crossed it goes away soon.

And it's Friday evening. It's a very good thing that the show I was looking forward to premiering today, that my family knew I was looking forward to watching tonight, actually premiered yesterday and I got to see it already. (And it's a very good thing I wasn't trying to do anything like, say, transcribe tonight.) Because it's almost 7:30 and family has Not. Shut. Up. All. Afternoon. And. Evening. I. Swear...

Gah...

Really want to see the danged Aftershow they just posted.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got in and out of rapid care in an hour and a half which required a lot of coordination.

First the lady checking me in said "that was sweet of the PA to promise" an expedited visit but it supposedly wasn't up to him and besides he's too busy seeing other patients. She was quite rude about it. [insert another eye-roll emoji]

Some of these people are so quick to put everyone in the same basket it doesn't dawn on them not everyone belongs in that basket. I'm sure she hears it all day long, people insisting they have some kind of priority.

But a man of his word, I was seen in triage (a requirement for everyone) fairly quickly. A doctor using the computer in the same room heard me talking to the triage nurse and sped up the antibiotic order. Back in the waiting room, then a nurse took me back to start my IV access. Back in the waiting room again for a few minutes and another nurse took me back to a room where the PA stepped in to check my leg and ask if I thought it was better. I couldn't say. Then the nurse was in to start the antibiotic.

I was out of there as quickly as possible. The real test will be tomorrow when I don't know if the PA will be working on the weekend. I hope so because if not then I could be there half the night. And that would not be good (I can deal with it, I have a new book to start reading) but the antibiotic isn't supposed to be 30 hours from the last one. The PA had said he'd like to see less than 24 hours between each dose.

Oh well, we'll see.

And no one has asked me for any copays yet. Three rapid care/ED visits, I have no clue what that copay will be. I just went with the flow. I'm guessing it will less than the almost $2K vet bill my little buddy has racked up overall for her hard-to-treat urinary infection.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Knock on plywood your lucky run continues...

And I did finally get to see the aftershow. I also just finished reading Leviathan Falls. Suitably epic conclusion to a truly epic series, one I'm still processing. Will review in the morning, after more thought.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I have a distinct feeling this MP3 player is playing with me. For tech I can actually flush through the toilet if I want to, this is pretty bold.

I ordered a new battery because the old one wasn't charging after being plugged in for three days. I had been already at the stage of thinking of replacing the battery before it got lost for a year behind the bed so I went ahead.

The new battery arrived, I put it in, a day later the battery is still empty and the thing is still turning itself off when I start it without being plugged in.

So I start to suspect the player's charging part is broken. Looking for a specific charger for this type of battery came up zilch. Researching online for the issue all said 'live with it' or 'reset the player'. Couldn't find a little hole on the player to reset, but then this manufacturer had a lot of models so I turn to the original manual which I wisely kept.

Couldn't find anything to reset it there either, but I did find a mention I didn't recall "when charging from a computer, flick the lock-switch or charging will take forever."

And I'm thinking "... surely it can't be that easy..."

But it can! It can! :Hammer: The new battery has charged fully in like two hours and has played for over 6 continuous hours!

Now checking if the old battery is up to the same tricks. The effing lock-switch! Gah!

E.F.B.

Sailing the skies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I didn't even know you could replace the battery in an MP3... All things considered, I guess mine has held up pretty well over the years as the battery seems okay. It hasn't gotten heavy use since I discovered it was easier to download and listen to audiobooks on my phone. But I still listen to music on it a few times a month.

Anyway... I ordered some winter and Christmas scented candles from my favorite small business candle maker (Tookish Candle Company) on Black Friday and they arrived this week. Really enjoying them! We also got our Christmas tree this week. Dad prefers to wait until the week before Christmas to get it, but the past couple of years, if we'd waited that long, we wouldn't have gotten a live tree. For the sake of keeping it from drying out in the indoor heat and being a fire hazard, we've got in in the stand in water on the porch and won't actually bring it inside and decorate it until next weekend.

In less good news, mom realized she had a UTI. This is the second time she's gotten one immediately after taking a certain kind of antibiotic for a sinus infection and upon discussing that observation with her doctor, it was confirmed that there has been an observable connection between that particular medicine and UTIs. So she won't be taking that one again. In further bad news, she was prescribed Cipro for the UTI, which she's had before and it works fine, but apparently there are supply line issues and literally no pharmacy can get it and may not be able to for months. Would they have told us that if mom hadn't directly asked why it was taking so long to get it and when they would get it? Who knows??? Apparently even the doctor didn't know until told by multiple patients that the pharmacies couldn't get it. IMO, that information SHOULDN'T have needed to come from the patients, the pharmacies should have informed the doctors directly, but that's just IMO. Thankfully her doctor was able to prescribe a different one that mom has also had before and also works, but things were getting stressful for a little bit there.

• Hug

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I'm supposed to take an oral cephalosporin after today's IV antibiotic. I wonder if it will be cipro and if Kaiser has any.

It's good you were able to get a substitute.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mom's medical woes. Getting an infection as a side-effect from an antibiotic for another infection seems like a pretty raw deal! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

I wonder sometimes whether the poor availability of some medecins these days are really due to supply issues. Before the pandemic there were already rumblings that some pharma companies kept production of medecins, especially those with fixed prices, very low so patients and health services had to get them from further territories that did not have legally fixed prices and thus pay more. Ah, capitalism...

I'm sure there are MP3 players with fixed batteries, but mine luckily is a removable type. Testing confirms the older battery can hold its charge just fine as well! Which is impressive for a 12 year old battery... But it does seem to have more connectivity issues so I'm sticking to the new battery and call it good.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hooray for replaceable batteries! (Though I checked my dead player - no way to change. Dumb, stupid, wasteful planned obsolescence consumerism...)

Boo for medicine shortages and doctor cluelessness! We've run into that before, ourselves; right hands don't seem to talk to left hands in the health care industry. Heck, index fingers don't talk to thumbs in the health care industry...

Saturday morning, and already had to talk the aunt through finding out whether her Prime account is up to date on the phone (though it was her husband who needed to look and he wasn't on the phone, which is just as well because he literally does not listen, just clicks randomly and curses until he gives up). Not the most auspicious start to a weekend...

Anyway, need to write up my book review then get on with the day, which should involve room tidying and ornament work and maybe another ep or two of Arcane (am waiting to rewatch Expanse until I can binge the whole season in a single go), though TBH I'm not feeling the urgency to get back I really should if I were properly invested in the story. I read a comment somewhere on how someone felt they were just about to be wowed with awesomeness, perpetually, without actually reaching the potential awesomeness... sorta feeling that in the four eps I've seen. But I sort of want to finish it out at this point; only nine eps total in the season, after all.

Mergh... best get on with my day...

--

Saturday evening, and the sibling's melting down yet again over... something? I don't know what. It might have to do with trying to get an old Nook tablet working... maybe. Or Google's irritating new "authentication" protocols; she doesn't know how to use her phone to message, and refuses to actually bring her phone to anyone so we can show her. I think. I really can't make out words between inarticulate screeches and howls and general rage sprayed at the whole family like shrapnel from a grenade ('cause of course that fixes everything).

I am not doing anything until I finish dinner, dang it. And then I need to know what she was trying to do.

I was so, so hoping I'd get a shot at transcription tonight... sigh...

(Later, and I learned it was a problem with one of her gmail accounts; it locks into a captcha loop while trying to enter the password, and all her recovery options are obsolete - which is part of why she's trying to log in, to update her info and to try to knock out the frellin' forced two-factor authentication which is really, really annoying and impractical given how often she switches accounts during a day. Apparently, you can no longer get live help, even on chat or in the help forums, unless you're a paying advertiser... way to be customer responsive, Google. Not.)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mergh. Sunday morning, and sinuses are sinusating once again. Plans for today are in limbo until I determine if Mom wants to go shopping or not. I'm always the last to know...

And I watched a couple more episodes of Arcane, 5 and 6, and it seemed to kick into gear at last. So that's good.

--

Later on Sunday, and there was, indeed, a shopping trip, which sorta knocked a hole through the day but at least I got lunch out of the deal. (And it is officially impossible to find chewable glucosamine treats for cats at any of our local pet stores. Aunt wanted some for her aging kitties. Figured it would be easy, as I saw several brands available online through Chewy and the like, but why not "shop local"... Five, six stores, later, and this is why "shop local" so often leads to "frell it, back to the internet".

Eh, well... Finally got home, got my workshed time in (some ornaments are going better than others, but that's always the way). And I probably need to get the oven pre-heating and such for dinner. It's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich night. (Going to use leftover turkey instead of ham in the grilled cheese sandwiches tonight. Call me a rebel... or call me sick of the turkey leftovers. You can call me anything you like - just don't call me Waltzing Matilda.*)

(* - Exceptionally obscure Sledge Hammer! reference I'm pretty sure nobody will get...)

For the record, the grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches went over very well (especially the smoked turkey). Will have to do that again. And the sinuses continue to sinus terribly, so I think that puts a spike in transcription, as it's a pain to focus through a headache like this. Also, Mom's been extra stressed and yelly tonight, which is about as bad for concentration as the sibling being stressed and yelly. So I think I'll just hide out in my room, maybe see if I can polish off another ep or so of Arcane... bonus points if I can find the gumption to foot pedal while doing so.)

--

And it's Monday morning. Sibling is off taking Dad to an appointment and shopping, and I'm dawdling on starting the day. There's muttering about snow later this week, maybe up to half an inch. Don't care about the snow, it's the ice that concerns me... but I do have chains in the trunk if need be. (It's our road that's the worst. The rest should - emphasis on "should" - be okay. It's always something, isn't it?

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Sailing the skies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, Cantina. Yesterday morning I woke up with a twingy back muscle because I apparently managed to sleep twisted and overextend something. It was pretty uncomfortable, but I took pain reliever, affixed one of those adhesive Thermacare heating pads meant for menstrual cramps to my bra, and that helped knock the pain out. Seems it was a fairly mild muscle pull as today it's much better except for a tiny bit of soreness if I move certain ways. Mom said she tended to have things like that happen to her when she was my age, too, and it only got better after she had me, which seemed to strengthen her back. Guess it's something genetic. As I'm not planning to have kids any time soon, I should probably look up some back strengthening exercises.

So far this month, I've been taking a writing break to reward myself for reaching my first big editing goal with IDTC, but it's been long enough now that my non-writing to-do list is running down and I'm feeling the need to get back to story telling. I think I'll work on my stone dragon story from Sisyphus... two years ago? Maybe three? I did a major editing pass earlier in the year and cut it from 6k to 1,100 words by finding a stronger emotional core than it previously had. I've gotten a couple people to read it, and they felt it's working well. I just need to apply the teensy bit of feedback they had and then I'm going to start subbing this new version out in January.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
My fingers started getting itchy to knit so I've been taking a short break from writing.

Kid is eagerly waiting my completion of the sweater in progress. I'll have the body finished today and start the sleeves which I hope to finish in about a week.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for back twinges!

Hooray for revisions and sweaters!

Tuesday morning, and I am about to have another hole knocked through my day. Mom has decided randomly that today is laundromat day, and sibling can't do it because there's a rerun she wants to see at noon.

Yes, in the sibling's mind, that's a valid excuse: a rerun she's seen at least fifty times, and could easily find the DVD of if she really wants to watch it all the time. Her entire life is scheduled around reruns, most of them at least 20 years old, and boy do you hear the howls if one of them isn't on or is misadvertised... yeah, literal tantrum howls.

So much fun to live with... not...

Anyway, Mom's hedging on time specifics, so I'm in limbo until then.

Suppose I ought to make sure the Kindle charge is topped off, maybe grab a physical book to read.

Sigh... At least I'm on track so far with the ornaments. And if I have to I can do what I need to do later.

But the sinuses are very, very not happy (not as unhappy as last night, but still), so I would've much rather not gone out at all today.

Mergh. Thanks so much, sibling and whoever schedules reruns...

--

Back from the laundry run. There's two hours of my life I'll never get back... And I didn't even get any reading in. (Mom simply would not stop talking, or complaining, or talking, or muttering that she might want to go to the car, but not yet... gah.) But now that's done and shouldn't need doing again any time soon.

Going to sit for a bit, then go out to the workshed for some quality time with my ornaments. (Got the stuff I need to do the finishing bits, which I'm not quite up to yet but by this weekend I will be. Fingers crossed I stay on track...)

Last edited:

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
So we finally got some snow last night...

And by some I mean at least waist deep, maybe 3 feet....

And the power's been out for a good 12 hours now.....

Fun times abound!

At least we have water, and gas for heat and stove. The husband has been fighting with the snow blower in the driveway for almost two hours now. I imagine he'll need a nice bloody Mary soon enough... So I'm trying to make a list of things I need to pull out of the fridge soon, either to eat and drink or to put in coolers with ice packs (or snow 🤔), and I should probably quit using my phone soon to preserve battery. Still no estimate I've been able to find about when it could come back, and the power company's website outage map isn't working. Super useful, guys.

Wish us luck!

• Wow
Reactions: Brightdreamer

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for snow ambushes and power outages!

Tuesday afternoon, and making more ornament progress. Just found out there's some online training I need to do for work by the end of the year that they didn't tell us we needed to do by the end of the year (TBH, over 90% of "training" we hear about we ignore because it does not apply to us out in shipping), so I'll have to try doing that tonight.

Oh joy, oh rapture...

--

And I believe I've completed the online training thing. If they'd just told us earlier that it actually applied to us, dang it... gah.

Off to noodle with some spitballing, then get work stuff together and call it a night. Fingers crossed my sinuses resolve themselves overnight; work tomorrow, then I have to drive Mom to a PT appointment, and if I have a sinus thing I don't feel right waiting in the waiting room for her. (It's cold enough I'm going to probably want to wait inside rather than in the car.)

Last edited:

Elizabeth George's book Write Away