Korea?

Lynx1482

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, anyone hanging around or living in Korea now?

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
안녕하세요.

Korean living in the US with a brother living in Korea. I'm from Kyeongsang... though I was born in Jeolla and I'm aware of how strange that is. (My background is strange enough.)

Not many Koreans around, eh?

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
AW member Kardien Lupus is Korean, although not hanging around much. Seems interested in writing edgy sci fi and steampunk.

Thanks.

Not many Koreans in speculative fiction, in general. Yoonha Lee is the only other one I know writing for adults. And then one writing for children... Linda Sue Park (but it's more writing for children than speculative fiction. She visited my old High School--I was pleasantly surprised.)

My background is more complex than simply Korean though.

"A Korean Adoptee adopted to a Jewish Hungarian Atheist Family who went to a Unitarian Universalist Church for 10 years because my parents liked the music and free baby sitting. The church was too Catholic for my mother's taste. My Korean father is a Monk who drinks, eats meat and sings in Noraebang. "

Yeah, I haven't found anyone that has as a funky background besides my brother... there are strange stories about Eomma too. (Complete mystery, but Appa thinks she died at the border helping North Korean across... but I doubt it. It doesn't fit the info I know about her.) I'm fairly sure I'm the only one in history with my American name and that background.

I make my friend laugh (who is from the Seoul area) when I slip into Kyeongsang saturi without realizing it. She also calls Appa a fake monk...

Last edited:

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Korean too. You can tell by my smilies ^^

Came to US at the age of 10-11. I plan to make my life here, but I still have fond memories of my time in Korea. They don't make barbecue chickens like that here..

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
With any luck, I'll be teaching there by this time next year. Does that count? :D

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
안녕하세요.

Reviving a thread from the very dead.

I'm currently watching tons of Korean dramas and trying to write some stuff on Korea. I have so many ideas and not enough lifetime to write them all.

3 books with the pivot country of Korea, a Joseon book on sangchim (seamstresses) and for pure laughs and fun, probably a drama script based in Korea (Modern times).

They keep revolving in my mind. But I have plenty of other stories that have nothing to do with Korea, too.

memoriadeclarativa

Registered
Reaction score
전 한국분인데요, 말 대충합니다. 문법 하고 동사의 활용 은 초등학생 정도입니다 ㅋㅋ ㅔ 하고 ㅐ 를 언제 써야뒈나 모릅니다. 이 포스트는 위키 하고 Google translate 애서 도움밨고 썼읍니다.

Saturn_J

Registered
Reaction score
제가 서울에 살아요~! 이 thread은 좀 늙은 것 같은데 혹시 여전히 한국에 사는 사람있나요?? 그냥 여기서 한국말 연습 할 수 있으면 좋겠죠. ^^

intjkate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Korea and would love to meet some other writers here who are serious writers. (And who don't just want to communicate in Korean. I couldn't read the last two posts and Google translate didn't work.)

captain_ryan

THE BEARD IS BACK, BABY!
Registered
Reaction score
I lived and taught there for a short time. I loved it, and would really enjoy a chance to go back. I got several great ideas for stories while I was there.

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I currently live in South Korea. I know a few other writers here--mostly from nanowrimo events--but I live pretty far from them (I live far from a lot of people in Korea...). So I stick to the internet.

intjkate, are you anywhere near Seoul or Busan? I think there are writing groups in those cities (run by foreigners, I mean). I live too far from both of those cities to make a steady commitment to any groups there, so I've never been and can't really speak as to how the groups are run or their focus or anything, but I've heard about the groups from said nanowrimo friends.

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Korea and would love to meet some other writers here who are serious writers. (And who don't just want to communicate in Korean. I couldn't read the last two posts and Google translate didn't work.)

Where in Korea? I'm in Busan. I'd love to meet other foreigners here who regularly write.

Last edited:

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I used to live in Korea! I was there for six years during 2004-2009 and then moved to Chicago, however I think I'll be moving back to Korea in the next few years, either to Anyang or Daejun.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I served a couple tours in the US Army on the Korean DMZ. Served with a lot of good ROK soldiers. I also knew many ROK soldiers from Vietnam - Tiger Division, Blue Dragon, etc. Lots of great memories.

ameliavarro

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ameliavarro.com
I know this thread has been silent for a long time, but I am writing a YA romance novel where the first section is based in Seoul, specifically around the Gangnam area. I've visited Seoul before and had a great time, but I don't think all the touristy stuff I got up to then really lends itself to the authenticity of a Korean character who lives and works in the city.

I would love to have someone that I can refer general questions to, who could maybe check out the Seoul chapters and give advise on little details to add that could set the tone better. Knowledge of K-Pop and the Idol business would be great.

General information about my work can be found here:
http://ameliavarro.com/?page_id=9

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I'm glad to see the Thread back. I have several Korean heroes and heroines in my stories. Plus, I'm still in contact with many Korean soldiers I've known for years. ROK Tigers, Blue Dragons, etc. I spent a couple tours on the DMZ, plus served with Korean soldiers in Vietnam. A great bunch of fighting men. Visit my Blog sometimes.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am interested in learning about Korea. Maybe picking up a few words.
E.g. Hi. Nice day, today. You sure are pretty. Etc.

bookbuyer

I'm back, baby! :P
Registered
Reaction score
Well I know very little about Korea itself. But I know a few words and most of the hangeul. I know some good sites for learning Korean online. Also if anyone is interested I know where to find free english subbed Korean dramas online. :D

CH Davis

Registered
Reaction score
This is a totally off the wall post, but I can't start a new thread to ask this question. I have sort of written myself into a corner and need to know a few things about Korean military service. If anyone out there can help me I'd really appreciate it. So sorry to barge in on your thread like this. ROK armed forces that is, sorry about that.

Last edited: