• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kindred Ink Press

JKeller

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know about them?

From what I've seen so far, they are quite new and only have seven current authors and twenty books. But their royalties are higher than most I've heard of at 40% and they do ebook, print, and soon audio.

Most small presses I ignore, but this was caught my attention and they are interested in one of my books so I'm tempted. Anyone know how to find out more than just what's on their site?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the site and wasn't impressed. The covers look awful. I've never heard of any of the authors but that isn't a big deal, just saying. One author has "USA Today Bestseller" on the cover but judging by the lack of attention her books have on Amazon I'd guess she made the list in one of those 20-person box set charging 99 cents. I have several friends who have made the list through box sets in the last few years. It's not the same as an author making the list with their own work and charging full price especially because many of the groups behind these 99 cent sets cheat and scheme to get on the list by gifting the books to a million people, swapping purchases with other sets, etc. It's important writers don't think that this place is landing bestselling authors in the traditional sense and be duped into signing there because of it. My spidey sense went up because I can't see a true USA Today bestselling author signing here. Sorry, I just don't see it.

I don't see this as any different than a million other small presses. You say the royalties are higher at the pubs but if the books aren't selling that doesn't matter. The question is, are their books selling? I always say, ask yourself what a place can do for you that you can't do for yourself and if it's nothing, move on.

Note, I'm not saying this is a bad place. I know nothing about it but I don't see anything that's different from a million other small presses. Make sure you don't get desperate and sign with the first place that likes your work. That never ends well. You need to look up their books and see how they sell, read some titles to see how the editing is and speak to some of the authors though you might get an "all roses" view of everything. Do some digging on Google and Facebook to see if you hear anything negative or anything that gets your eyebrows rising.

I just took another look at the site and they don't say who they are anywhere unless I missed it. No names, faces or nothing. Nothing about the staff or who is behind this. Please. :Wha:

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the USA Today bestselling author's book with this press. It was released last year and from the rankings looks as thought it hasn't sold ONE copy and has NO reviews in almost a year. I checked rankings of books released prior to that one just months ago and the rankings are horrible on those too. I'd pass.

Last edited:

JKeller

Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not very good at checking out all the information on small presses outside of their given sites so I wanted to see what I was missing. I've been very agent-focused but I'll admit, small presses get tempting time to time. I have four requesting from twitter pitch parties and one of Kindred Ink's authors on there so I decided to take another look.