Kindle Direct question

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, currently downloaded the Smashwords guide everyone suggested and am in the process of reading it. But after looking at the Smashwords site, I was wondering whether I should publish there or on Kindle? Anyone know which works better?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Okay, currently downloaded the Smashwords guide everyone suggested and am in the process of reading it. But after looking at the Smashwords site, I was wondering whether I should publish there or on Kindle? Anyone know which works better?

You could do both, as long as you're not enrolled in KDP Select, which requires being exclusive to Amazon for e-books. However, if you're considering using Smashwords as a distributor, I'd recommend Draft2Digital (D2D) instead. I use them both, for different reasons, but D2D's customer service is much, much better.

MiloMinderbinder

Registered
Reaction score
I am on Amazon through KDP and have Smashwords distributing to everyone else.

So far all my sales have come through amazon. So I was considering putting one of the books into KDP Select just to see what kind of bump I'd get from lending. I know I would have to remove that book from all other online stores. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me how long it would take for the book to disappear from the Smashwords distribution chain?

I'd hate to end up with a nastygram from Jeff Bezos for violating the exclusivity clause.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I am on Amazon through KDP and have Smashwords distributing to everyone else.

So far all my sales have come through amazon. So I was considering putting one of the books into KDP Select just to see what kind of bump I'd get from lending. I know I would have to remove that book from all other online stores. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me how long it would take for the book to disappear from the Smashwords distribution chain?

I'd hate to end up with a nastygram from Jeff Bezos for violating the exclusivity clause.

I've done this. It would have gone smoothly, except for Kobo. One of Kobo's affiliates didn't take the book down. I had to go through Smashwords support, and eventually Kobo did something. It's important to check every site, and subsite of those sites, listed in the Smashwords guide to distribution. Then Google search to make sure you haven't missed any others. Don't assume they'll take it down. Check to make sure they've taken it down.

After all that, once I was in Select, Kobo decided to start selling my book again. This meant Amazon gave me a deadline of five days to get it removed. I got there, but it was close.

So the answer is it depends, but it could take a few months, you might need to get Smashwords to help with troublesome retailers, and you need to keep a close eye on Kobo. But if it does go wrong, Amazon is not going to blacklist you forever because it messed up. (I didn't have any issues with Smashwords during this... they were quick to respond, and did sort Kobo out.)

Skabr

Inspire.Motivate. If nothing, drag!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I've also recently started self-publishing my short stories. So far I've only published on Kindle. And I thought Kindle was the only worthy platform. My situation is such that I don't have much of an author platform so I'm wondering if I should bother publishing my short stories through something like Smashwords.
Or does it really automatically lead to more exposure?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
So the answer is it depends, but it could take a few months, you might need to get Smashwords to help with troublesome retailers, and you need to keep a close eye on Kobo. But if it does go wrong, Amazon is not going to blacklist you forever because it messed up. (I didn't have any issues with Smashwords during this... they were quick to respond, and did sort Kobo out.)

Speaking of troublesome retailers, I just saw that SW is ending their agreement with Flipkart, for the very reason you mentioned...people going back into Select got slapped down by KDP because their books were still listed on Flipkart. I had the opposite problem--mine never showed up in Flipkart's catalog. In the end, it turned out to be a good thing, because it made it easier for me to go back into Select.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Speaking of troublesome retailers, I just saw that SW is ending their agreement with Flipkart, for the very reason you mentioned...people going back into Select got slapped down by KDP because their books were still listed on Flipkart. I had the opposite problem--mine never showed up in Flipkart's catalog. In the end, it turned out to be a good thing, because it made it easier for me to go back into Select.

I'd heard people had issues with Flipkart, but I got lucky. Never again on the removal thing though... now I'm going to start in Select, and only make stuff available elsewhere later. It saves a lot of trouble.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Interesting. So people are *only* doing KDP and no other e-retailers?

KDP Select is different from KDP. It is a voluntary program that requires your e-book to be exclusive to Amazon for 90 days; you can choose to renew the term or not. For some authors, the additional revenue from being in Select far outweighs the revenue from other channels. For others, that may not be the case.

Sagml John

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnbeaverspen.wordpress.com
All I knew was KDP. Thanks to AW, I heard of Kindle Scout (a little closer to real publishing it looks like) and Smash Words. I got on Smash Words and I really like their navigation. You can get SM to the Kindle by downloading in Kindle format and copying it in using the USB. I'm going back to KDP (since, like the Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave) -- but not as Select.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
All I knew was KDP. Thanks to AW, I heard of Kindle Scout (a little closer to real publishing it looks like) and Smash Words. I got on Smash Words and I really like their navigation. You can get SM to the Kindle by downloading in Kindle format and copying it in using the USB. I'm going back to KDP (since, like the Hotel California, you can check out but you can never leave) -- but not as Select.

There are many others, too.

• Draft2Digital (another aggregator—goes to fewer stores than Smashwords, but has a slicker interface and faster response time).
  • OmniLit / All Romance Ebooks (same place, just different branches of the site; the latter is only for romance, obviously)
  • StreetLib (Italian aggregator for many sites you've not heard of)
  • XinXii (German; mostly aggregator; I've heard nonfiction does best there, but I'm not sure English does)
  • Google Play (can cause some issues with their discounting practices)
  • Drive Thru Fiction (for speculative fiction [sci-fi, fantasy, horror])

And I'm sure I'm missing some I'm familiar with, and even more I don't know about.

Featured Book