KIDLIT CONTEST WINNERS!

Gemnyc

reading 24/7
Registered
Reaction score
I claim this one :)

C'mon everyone! I so want to know.

I loved your line Sydneyd - "Down is ambiguous that way." I remembered it while I read through all the rest. I voted for you and Food Fight which I can totally see as a picture book. Congrats to all the winners :D

I'll claim The Refectory which was adapted from the middle of my latest MG.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though I tied in tenth place with twelve votes, I'll admit to writing the poem, My Bitter Enemy. I just hope people enjoyed it. :)

You had some cute lines in your poem, starbeam. I like these three the best:

She slipped and she slid all the way through the door.
She returned the next day with bruises galore,
Which is perhaps something I cannot ignore.

That last line makes me think of Dr Seuss. :)

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Congrats to Kitty, Legendary Bum and Swachski! I definitely voted for Food Fight at least.

Kitty, Swachski has guessed correctly; 'Dinninja Lady' is indeed mine. Smish warned me it might not fare so well in the votes cos of the Brit'ness (dinner ladies instead of lunchladies) but I took the risk... turns out she was right :D But the better stories won, and the fact that the WINNER wants to read my completed story is prize enough for me.

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
Just now seeing this! This seriously just made my night! I'm glad you guys enjoyed my piece! Congrats to the other winners and all the other writers, there were a lot of really lovely entries and I had a hard time voting :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just now seeing this! This seriously just made my night! I'm glad you guys enjoyed my piece! Congrats to the other winners and all the other writers, there were a lot of really lovely entries and I had a hard time voting :)

And we'll be sending you a little something to make it even better. I'll arrange it with Smish when she's back from her vacation.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked Food Fight, Gemnyc, I thought it might be too corny, but I am feeling encouraged to format it for a PB. :)

I thought Refectory was very sweet. This line made me laugh: So, if ‘tory’ was ‘place’, then ‘lava’ must be posh for ‘wee’ and ‘poo,’ or ‘your business’ as Nan used to make me say as that was ‘more polite and ladylike.’ :D I'm glad she found a friend in the end.

David m'boy!! I wasn't deterred by the Brittiness, you got my vote! You should turn this into a graphic novel. I could picture a ninja lady with a hairnet over her mouth.
“LIIIEESS!” :roll:

Congrats, legendary bum, you got my # 1 vote. Your voice is so clear and beautiful. I would love to be able to write with such feeling.

Last edited:

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked Food Fight, Gemnyc, I thought it might be too corny, but I am feeling encouraged to format it for a PB. :)

I thought Refectory was very sweet. This line made me laugh: So, if ‘tory’ was ‘place’, then ‘lava’ must be posh for ‘wee’ and ‘poo,’ or ‘your business’ as Nan used to make me say as that was ‘more polite and ladylike.’ :D I'm glad she found a friend in the end.

David m'boy!! I wasn't deterred by the Brittiness, you got my vote! You should turn this into a graphic novel. I could picture a ninja lady with a hairnet over her mouth.
“LIIIEESS!” :roll:

Congrats, legendary bum, you got my # 1 vote. Your voice is so clear and beautiful. I would love to be able to write with such feeling.

Yes, Dinninja Lady got my vote too. That "LIIIIEEES" line got me and the thwack of the spaghetti against the wall. Perfect. :)

Oh, and I'm the Space Squirrel gal. Tee hee Commander McNutts just popped into my head so I went with it! :)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm the Space Squirrel gal. Tee hee Commander McNutts just popped into my head so I went with it! :)

Ahahaha Space Squirrel was hilarious! :roll:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Dinninja Lady got my vote too. That "LIIIIEEES" line got me and the thwack of the spaghetti against the wall. Perfect. :)

I loved it! You got my vote because squirrels are already awesome, then you gave them cone hats! :D I think kids would really enjoy this story. :D

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Funny you should mention the graphic novel angle, Swachski - the basic premise me the story is that Rex moves to a new school and unwisely demands to take the special, advanced exams rather than be held back a year. But this school is different, because he'll have to face historical figures from each subject in combat if if wants to pass each exam (Isaac Newton for Science, Genghis Khan for History, etc). My aim is to make it an educational 'Scott Pilgrim' for kids :)

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
I loved it! You got my vote because squirrels are already awesome, then you gave them cone hats! :D I think kids would really enjoy this story. :D

I kind of went out on a limb and submitted it to Spider Magazine's Science Fiction category today. *bites nails*

So that's cool...we voted for each other! :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, dreamer! And congrats to the winners and to everyone who entered. I really enjoyed reading them. Hope others will sub to magazines; the stories are the perfect length! The contest was really fun, even though I wasn't able to enter this time. Let's do another one soon, so I can!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I couldn't believe the quality of the entries. They were all so good. Congratulations to the winners!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, dreamer! I loved the Space Squirrels. Though I confess that before I read it I was thinking of QLH. :tongue Good luck!

Mine was Extra Credit.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
i still wish i could've voted for more than three...

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
I wrote Our Side of the Mirror. I really appreciate the compliments, guys!

I actually started writing it when my son said I should put him in a book. So the three characters in my piece are actually based on my own kids (using their middle names and different ages.) I'm about 10k words in. And now that I see some people actually like it, I might try to expand it to a full novel! :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
moth, I loved your frog hopping adventure. And the ending when the frog pees loudly is perfect material for adolescent boys!

COchick, I agree with the other's comments. While I was reading all of the entries, I wrote comments to help me remember them all. For Our Side of the Mirror, I wrote "Great beginning for a longer story." Good luck with expanding it to a novel. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Nice work, all! Congrats to the winners. I did read the entries, but unfortunately did not vote. I'm mostly on my Android these days and it's so difficult to do stuff on it sometimes. But the voting seemed consistent with my thoughts. They were all great...but you can only pick so many winners. Congrats to all who entered! PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

Way to go, Smish! Great orchestrating!

I'm not sure who gets the copy of my novel...just let me know by PM the details and I'll pop it in the mail right away.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved all of them. Each one was creative and special in its own way. There were secret passwords and alien squirrels and lost pets and ninja assassins and spies and talking peanut butter sandwiches and trouble makers and embarassed preteens and....

Great job, everyone.

And, for the record, I had no objection to the Britishness of Dave's story! I expressed concern that some may not like that he changed the prompt sentence. I never object to Britishness. I love the UK (and lived in Oxford at one time). Anyway, I felt it necessary to set the record straight on that, since I strongly object to publishers changing books for foreign markets (changing cookie to biscuit, etc.). It's one of my hot button issues.

KTC, Kitty Pryde gets the book. Thanks again for donating!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Are we outing ourselves? Okay - mine was S.P.I.E.S (Secret Patrol in Elmwood School), an MG potboiler. That was part of the opening. :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia, I like the action in your story. I was confused though, because in the beginning you mention the lunch lady, but you never explain why she hates the MC. Now that you explained it's the beginning of a longer story, it makes sense.

The spies concept sounds intriguing — the MC's voice is like a young private eye. :)