KDP paperback preorders

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Is this really not a thing?

I've got the book set up on KDP (no expanded distribution) and IngramSpark. Preorder for the ebook is fine, but every time I try to add the paperback it goes live.

The above-linked post (goes to reddit) suggests it's not possible via KDP. I notice the pb is up on at least one site (amazon.ca), which probably means the listing got pushed from IS.

Is there any way to get the PB preorderable on amazon.com? Could I have set things up differently?

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Ingram Spark, I've only used KDP and it is extremely annoying that you can't set up a pre-order for paperbacks, it just goes live whenever they're done approving it. And if you use the pre-order option for an ebook and not enough people pre-order, they won't let you use that option again. I guess I didn't read the fine print, because I wasn't aware this was going to happen.

I really don't understand why they can't let us set up a pre-order. How much extra work is there on their end? Wouldn't it just be the computer program letting it go live on the day you've clicked? Draft2Digital let's you set up a pre-order option...

I noticed you mentioned it's on amazon.ca. Are you Canadian? Because it's also incredibly annoying that you can't order author proofs anywhere outside of an American address. So, I have to publish my book, set it at the bare minimum price, let it go live, and then "order" my proof copies. Ugh. Are you ordering proofs through Ingram Spark or were you planning on getting a KDP proof?

Featured Book