KDP Hardcovers - can I change the trim size of my paperback???

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
SO - you can do hardcovers on KDP now! That's super exciting! But they have a limited amount of trim sizes: 5.5x8.5, 6x9, 6.14x9.21, 7x10, and 8.25x11.

I mostly write novellas and publish my paperbacks as cute little 5x8 books. Just this summer I published book one in an ongoing series. I would really like the books in the series to match/be the same size. And I really don't want to spend time making an interior for a 5x8 paperback interior and a 5.5x8.5 hc interior. So, going forward - I want to just make all of the books in the series (pb + hc) 5.5x8.5 I looked, and KDP does not allow you to change the trim size of your paperback once published. Is there a way to make this first one no longer available and publish a "second edition" of my first book in the series? Or is this going to really mess things up, since KDP won't allow you to delete books permanently? Has anyone done a "second edition" of their book in a different size on KDP?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
FWIW, IngramSpark has a similarly limited set of sizes. I suspect POD shops stick with the most common configurations. If you look at trade publishers, the hardcovers and paperbacks are rarely the same size.

I didn't do a hc for my short stories. I'm going to do one for the novel I'm self-publishing early next year, and yes, I'm formatting twice. TBH I'm doing it purely for my own satisfaction; I suspect the hc is going to be prohibitively expensive.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I did a hc using Barnes & Noble Press and they had more options, including the 8x5, so I didn't have to reformat my interior. However, because I'm in Canada, the price of the hc + shipping was ridiculous...so they are available if anyone actually wants them through B&N, but I won't be able to order author copies to sell them in-person/at local bookstores. However, with Amazon, I'm hoping it will make it more affordable, since I can order using free shipping. The 5x8 hardcovers looks super cute.

I did end up doing some more research on-line and found this article, which explains how to change your book's trim size. You basically have to upload an entire new book, including a new ISBN. https://www.writerontheside.com/how-to-change-book-trim-size-on-amazon-kdp/

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I did end up doing some more research on-line and found this article, which explains how to change your book's trim size. You basically have to upload an entire new book, including a new ISBN. https://www.writerontheside.com/how-to-change-book-trim-size-on-amazon-kdp/

I'm not surprised. It's a separate ISBN on IngramSpark, too.

Yeah, I can imagine shipping to Canada would have been dire. It's bad enough with the cheap shipping I can get here. I priced out a 140 page book, and it was something like $18, which is absolute madness. For a 300-500 page novel, it's going to be awful.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. It's a separate ISBN on IngramSpark, too.

Yeah, I can imagine shipping to Canada would have been dire. It's bad enough with the cheap shipping I can get here. I priced out a 140 page book, and it was something like $18, which is absolute madness. For a 300-500 page novel, it's going to be awful.
I have since tried out the HC option on Amazon with a 5.5x8.5 book that is only 76 pages long and the cheapest I'll be able to buy "author copies" is just over $11 CDN, with free shipping. The paperback of the same book, 5x8 and about 85 pages, is just under $5 CDN, with free shipping.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Well I bit. Since my paperbacks are already formatted for a standard supported size, I went ahead and prepared a hardcover on one of them. I had to do almost no work except to change the ISBN in the manuscript, and re-enter the cover information in cover creator. So, I guess I'll do the rest of them.

I don't expect to sell any. I price my e-books at $3.99, paperbacks at $9.99, and I priced the hardcover at $19.99. $17 and some change was the cheapest I could price it. I don't sell many paperbacks but they do sell.

Of note - the preferred upload manuscript format is a PDF, however, I forgot to prepare a PDF this time and uploaded the Word document directly. It worked just as well.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I just got the HC I made in the mail today and it looks really good! It's nice to have this option.

A large christmas tree with lights outdoors in the snow, with a snowman, houses, and children