June 2022 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I see a few people moving into a more productive days, hurray! and others with various challenges: hold firm!

Today was much easier for me than the past two days. I actually got over 5000 words polished on hard copy. I am through chapter 4 of 10.

Might even plug away more this afternoon, but other responsibilities also loom.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The next chapter was actually in decent shape and I made inroads into the one after that, so I am dumbfounded to report 10,000 words of polish today.

The story might still suck big willy dogs, but it's readable and everything to me, at least the section that I went through today.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 23

Word Count 218

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET
(Draft 3)​

I decided that having Billy make a run on the redlight district the night he did the creepy crawl was putting the cart before the horse. So, I transferred it to when he leaves Carolina’s quarters the night of the Lolita memorial at Casa Bella. He goes from her stinging mad because she dared question him about the Athena tat she saw on his chest when they were on Key Chica during the cruise to The Keys. Let’s just put it this way, Athena is not what Carolina suspects her of being. I also decided to move the identity of Athena to the Epilogue. Anyway, so Billy sets a meet with his informant, one Lil GB aka Little Georgie Boilbrooks, a pimp off Neon Avenue. This is going to be fun!

Nether

knows better than to hop over cursed fences
Registered
Reaction score
Day 23 was 1,034 words.

Nether home for 5-20 minutes -- "Well, let me just get something to eat and I'll get to some writing a bit early to make up for being behind."

Nether home for over 20 minutes -- "Must. Keep. Eyes. Open." (Passes out again, continuing to be almost falling-over-tired.)

The creativity is willing, but the flesh is weak. It's just been an exhausting week, although it's almost over and hopefully things will be more on track next week. At this point, though, the decision to move to a less traditional (and presumably less intensive) drafting schedule after the WIP should work out nicely. Still, can't help but feel I've fallen into something of a rut.

But yeah, the first session was on the lower end, I once again didn't have a main session (which has been the case all week), and my late session completely bombed. In theory, even though I traditionally do the most during my main sessions, I should be at least 2k words per day. And easily, considering I used to average 1.5k words/hour... but everything feels slower now.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Website
evagreenleigh.com
Yesterday: It was a good day figuring out some new things and writing 883 words in WIP2. I also worked on another June goal.

Today: There's a weight pressing down on me from various sources, between my household's needs and the political bomb that just detonated in my country. Part of that drives me to write, while the rest supplants my time and concentration for it. I'm going to withhold setting a goal for today but will write if I can. I have the next scene in mind, but time and focus are the issue.

morgand

Registered
Reaction score
Oof, it's been a bit since I updated. I've had a really productive last week or so! I finished the rough draft of my magical realism novel. It's one of the roughest drafts I've written, but the bones are there, and I've already got some good plans in place for how to make the next draft better.

The urban fantasy novel I was supposed to write next month just passed 30k words sooo I'm definitely not writing that for July Camp Nano, haha. I think I've come up with another idea though, so I'm going to be doing some outlining for that today.

I'm 7k words into my goal of writing 10k for my April Camp Nano story. I'm realizing there's a lot of history/worldbuilding I need to figure out. This only affects one character's plot, so I've been chugging away at the other characters' stories, but I definitely need to take time to figure this out at some point...

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 24 was 758 words.

Again, just been really tired, etc, and I'm not writing as quickly. After I finish drafting 19, I'll see how things go on 20 and figure out how to chart a path going forward. If the method on 20 works, I'll probably use it to write other fantasy because it feels like a natural way to do it. And then the rest -- one way or the other -- I might go back to planning more because what I'd been doing hasn't been working as well lately. Or maybe I'll just stop drafting altogether for a while to work more on revision... but if tiredness is an issue, that's not so much an option. I'd probably just need to plan maybe.

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
DAY 25
Read through 3 scenes.

Epically procrastinated by finishing my book and starting another. I also cleansed my facebook of all the pages I'd liked in the past 10 years. Teenage me was clearly full of angst but it's also nice to see I've retained that quirky sense of humour. That took me almost an hour; I have a couple of blisters from the repetitive clicking.

On the bright side, it means I don't have to do that ever again because I'm older and wiser now and won't ever like 1,000,000 things for no apparent reason.

Should really do some more of the WIP ...

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Whelp, I did it. I started my book. Write about two full pages before my fussy dog kicked up such a storm I had to stop (and help get food ready for a potluck). I’m nervous as can be but it ain’t gonna write itself.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Days 24 and 25 - wrote a bit yesterday, a bit today. The scene's crawling along, but it's getting there. Yesterday I decided on pizza for dinner, so I took the notebook with me, placed my order, then sat at a table and wrote while I waited. Beats staring at the wall. Although the pizza place has a sign: "You don't have to be crazy to work here. We'll train you."

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 25 was 1,818 words.

Low word count for a Saturday, but still the best day all week... since it was a pretty crappy week. The weekly total wound up being 7,445 where usually I'm over 20k.

The day's additions included some backstory I kept meaning to incorporate -- which I've done in summary form, via the MC reflecting on the information as she reads through it. And then I have a credulity-breaking moment when the house shifts floor planks to slow the MC from warning her brother who she realizes has somehow entered the world, and wants him to keep the house's door open so they can stay in the yard. I'd completely forgotten (at first) that the sitting room was open to the foyer (which I might change). Granted, the foyer might be big enough to have a blind spot, so... that's my excuse for now. And if I catch flack for it when I try to beta the scene, I might even have him spot her struggling and miss the door swinging shut behind him.

No progress on proofing RRWARB. And, during the somewhat unproductive late session, I was starting to once again wonder if I should take a break from drafting for a while and then establish a different writing & editing routine down the road. Just random stuff to consider.

Oh, and I started to try to do that RRWARB reinvention as a short story (after first thinking about it as a MG). Not 100% sure it'll work as a short story given the way the narrative shifts... although I think I like the idea of writing it as a short story which could simultaneously work as an outline. And, oddly enough, some of the elements might be more unnerving than the YA version. The other issue with the MG is I'm not sure it works with the character age, since I'd need to set the MC at 10-12 which is likely too old to be that entertained by puppets.

Yesterday I decided on pizza for dinner, so I took the notebook with me, placed my order, then sat at a table and wrote while I waited.

Kind of the fun part of using a notebook... although I guess laptops kinda work, too, but I'm more careful with laptops

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Day 25 was 1,818 words.

Low word count for a Saturday, but still the best day all week... since it was a pretty crappy week. The weekly total wound up being 7,445 where usually I'm over 20k.

The day's additions included some backstory I kept meaning to incorporate -- which I've done in summary form, via the MC reflecting on the information as she reads through it. And then I have a credulity-breaking moment when the house shifts floor planks to slow the MC from warning her brother who she realizes has somehow entered the world, and wants him to keep the house's door open so they can stay in the yard. I'd completely forgotten (at first) that the sitting room was open to the foyer (which I might change). Granted, the foyer might be big enough to have a blind spot, so... that's my excuse for now. And if I catch flack for it when I try to beta the scene, I might even have him spot her struggling and miss the door swinging shut behind him.

No progress on proofing RRWARB. And, during the somewhat unproductive late session, I was starting to once again wonder if I should take a break from drafting for a while and then establish a different writing & editing routine down the road. Just random stuff to consider.

Oh, and I started to try to do that RRWARB reinvention as a short story (after first thinking about it as a MG). Not 100% sure it'll work as a short story given the way the narrative shifts... although I think I like the idea of writing it as a short story which could simultaneously work as an outline. And, oddly enough, some of the elements might be more unnerving than the YA version. The other issue with the MG is I'm not sure it works with the character age, since I'd need to set the MC at 10-12 which is likely too old to be that entertained by puppets.

Kind of the fun part of using a notebook... although I guess laptops kinda work, too, but I'm more careful with laptops
Nobody will steal the notebook.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 25

Added Words

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET
(Draft 3)​

Mayteeth is now Demidicus (where Billy meets up with his informant). And I changed the Draculicious to Mayfang (where the first vampire action happens later). Edited dialogue between Billy and Georgie. I changed the meet from inside to Billy picking Georgie up outside Demidicus.

Reactions: Woollybear

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 26 - got some writing in this morning. The zombie hunter's daughter tells the PI they're looking for the wrong writer.

Nether and Taylor - I'm using a notebook and longhand to avoid internet distractions, like videos and games. There's not much else you can do with a notebook other than write in it. Plus it's a lot lighter and easier to handle, and I don't have to charge a battery. If I run out of ink, I've got pens in my purse. And yeah, nobody's going to steal it. Depending on their age, they probably couldn't read cursive anyway.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Notebooks help my brain work in new ways and they ease the crick in my shoulder.

Got 4,200 words polished on hard copy, which is the daily goal to finish this month. 13,776 words left to go. Word count on the whole thing still hovering around 43,000. I could expand this into a novel--there are areas that suggest enhancement. But that's not the plan. Novella. Novella. Novella. Then, anthology of novella-novella-novella.

This is not the final draft. I'm running chapters through crit group again, though I suspect they'll boot me out soon.

Reactions: Nether