• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

John Paine Editorial Services

tweetybird

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been searching the forums here but could not find anything regarding 'John Paine'.

I am considering his services as a line editor. Has anyone here used his editorial services or heard about him previously?

Thanks

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know him, but if you have to hire an editor, you'll probably never succeed as a writer. Editing is something a writer must learn how to do all on his own.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
... if you have to hire an editor, you'll probably never succeed as a writer.

A typical JAR absolute statement that is rubbish. There are writers who have hired editors and have succeeded as writers.

Editing is something a writer must should learn how to do all on his own.

This I agree with, with the change I made. I believe it's better for most writers most of the time to learn to self-edit.

But hiring an editor does not in and of itself mean a writer can't succeed.

tweetybird

Registered
Reaction score
English is not my first language. The language needs to be refined and I don't understand what is wrong with that.

It is my first book and I have edited it twice but I am still not satisfied.

I seriously don't understand what's wrong with taking outside help.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Tweetybird,

As a writer, you do need to learn how to edit your own work. However, this seems like a special situation because English is not your first language. It sounds like this might be one of the steps that you go through to learn to properly edit. That's okay.

I looked up Paine and read his website. His client list is impressive, to say the least. However, wouldn't you want someone who understands your language to help you understand English better so that your writing will be more clear?

Good luck!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I believe it's better for most writers most of the time to learn to self-edit.

Terie:

Would you please tell me more about this? I'm interested in where you are coming from.

I think all writers must know how to edit their own work, as it is part of the job. I'm sure some writers who know how to edit their own work hire editors because they don't have confidence in their own ability to edit, or just want another pair of eyes to look over their work. That's okay. But, if you don't know how to edit, how will you be able to make the changes when an agent or a publisher's editor asks for them? Or, how will you be able to follow behind that freelance editor and know if they've made an error or not?

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie:

Would you please tell me more about this? I'm interested in where you are coming from.

People who are not primarily writers but have a good reason to try to get a book published (such as a famous cook with a cookbook or a motivational speaker with self-help book) have no need to learn to self-edit, as being a writer isn't their career. There's no reason whatsoever for them to shy away from hiring the expertise needed.

Ditto those for whom the language in which they want to be published is not their native language.

Ditto those who are self-publishing and want to do it right.

And so on.