• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jodie Rhodes Literary Agency

Pab Sungenis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newadventuresofqueenvictoria.com
My first novel was repped by Jodie for a while. Technically, it still is, but I've given up all hope on it.

I will say that I am not happy with how she tried to sell the book (I think she misrepresented it in the pitches that she sent editors) and I have other complaints, but she did get my stuff in front of editors, and did make some connections that might have born fruit if I'd continued to fuel my delusions that I would ever be a published author.

If you receive an offer of representation from her, you might not be happy all the time, but she does get results.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The site was cached recently, and she was sending out rejections in July, so it could be a missed host payment or something. Check back in a couple weeks.

Skodobah

I don't dream for nothing!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julieduck.com
Well... I just received and accepted an offer for representation by her. For a YA book. Partly sent to her because apparently she got a $200K advance for another YA book. Just don't know what it is. I've been really careful not to say anything wrong, and have agreed to change something very minor with the manuscript to please her, but by and large I see a productive working relationship developing. Will let anyone know if this changes! Also... does anyone know what the title for that YA book Jodie happened to get published?

I believe it was Chloe Doe - it went to auction.

- Julie

brianstorms

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote The Workshop article

FYI, I'm the author of The Workshop, the story of my experience with Jodie Rhodes here in La Jolla, back in June 2002.

It's funny that people think it's fiction. It is absolutely not fiction. Everything I reported in there really happened. It was a crazy evening.

- Brian

RoseMarie

Words ARE my blood...
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I'm the author of The Workshop, the story of my experience with Jodie Rhodes here in La Jolla, back in June 2002.

It's funny that people think it's fiction. It is absolutely not fiction. Everything I reported in there really happened. It was a crazy evening.

- Brian

Okay, so at first I was skimming this thread just to see if I could find an address (email or physical) to send my query to...since her website lists 4576567866543263856794576983964 pages of helpful hints/examples, but no actual address -- that I could find, mind you.

So I saw a few people mention "The Workshop" and thought, "Hm, yeah." Just an uninterested mumble.

FINALLY I read the link.

At first, she seems to be a very....human person, if that makes sense.
Actually it all sounds a bit....not "fishy" (that's too strong of a word) but....uneasy perhaps? No, it seems a bit too...unreal? Unprofessional?

Yes, I think that's the word!

The fact that she holds such a class in her own place makes me raise a brow; new, yes, and therefore questionable...very much so.

And the fact that she "tears" several writers up...if one cannot handle amatuer (sp?) writers, then why in the thirteen hells does one get involved in such a business? That's not really critiquing, basing off Brian's view; that's just being a bitter fool who vents and hurts people for the fun of it.

Lmao at the "OH NO ITS NOT 12-14 FT!" part. Was she truly that ACK about it all?

Honestly, I had started to semi-like this agent b/c it seemed like she was trying to help by all the examples and whatnot...but after reading this, I must admit I am going to blotch white out all over her name on my list.

Although I'm keeping in mind that people can easily and often make their readers biased (not accusing you or anything Brian, just stating a fact XD) I have to admit I'm totally turned off by this.

Am very glad, however, to have found this out in advance :)

Thnx all for posting this and such <3 ^.^

talisgeir

Registered
Reaction score
Jodie Rhodes is a reputable agent, but she does have her quirks and eccentricities. You can either like them or hate them. The article about "The Workshop" is a dead on representation of one of her group critique sessions, though from a particular point of view. I used to attend them many years ago. I do not know if she still has them. If she has an affinity for your type of work, her critiques can be dead on and the reason why many people attended her workshops, however if your story is not her cup of tea, or she simply doesn't "get" your book, you will be frustrated. I eventually left because, although she liked my writing and my story, she had a very opinionated one way to change the story that took my novel in a direction different from what I knew it was about. She wouldn't consider any other way to do it. Good critique leaders with credentials will generally tell you what's wrong but not demand a specific "how you fix it". Most critique leaders are not agents, so maybe it's an occupational hazard. Personally, I think this makes it their story not yours. However, this approach may work well for you. It comes down to style and personality and Jodie may be the perfect agent for you. She has sold many books, some with significant advances.

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
I never thought that by querying an agent, who is supposed to be reputable, I was going to be queried back. Her website is misleading. So, for those of you who are considering querying her, please read the pasted e-mail below before wasting postage and paper.

Here's the reply I got from Jody Rhodes:

hope I receive an email from you like the one below. The economic collapse has hit publishers hard and they just aren't taking on new writers. However, both Amazon and B&N contacted me last year with interest in the writers I represent whose books have not been picked up by NY houses. So the idea was born. I'd create a not-for-profit literary press and become a publisher myself for writers, since I could get them on the two giants Amazon and B&N. But first I'd have to generate money since it costs to design and publish books. The answer was to write a memoir, since I'm so well known, and donate all the money from sales to publishing new writers.

CONFESSIONS: A MEMOIR came out this past Sept 16 and currently has received 28 Five Star reviews. I've quoted them below, along with two national reviewers, so you can decide if you'd like to order a copy. Attached are comments from 10 major NY editors.

Best, Jodie

Dear Jodie,

I took your book with me to Virginia Beach this weekend and finished reading it (I couldn't put it down), will be writing my review tonight.

However, just wanted to say wow Jodie, I always knew you were a very strong, resourceful woman, but OMG!!! You have really been through some things, and come out a winner! I just can't imagine facing what you have faced, and I don't think I could have handled it. My heart, and my utmost admiration, go out to you. You are truly amazing!

I'm very much looking forward to the next installment! (Your next book.)

Very best,
Frances

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
{Quoting Jodie Rhodes's self-promo that was inappropriately emailed to queriers}The answer was to write a memoir, since I'm so well known

I literally cannot think of anything to say about this that would be appropriate for this board, except perhaps that I am horribly embarrassed for Ms. Rhodes right now. :chair

Actually, something polite I can say about her promotional email is that it is less embarrassing than the copy she wrote about her book for Amazon.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Jodie is my agent for a non-fiction project.

NeuroFizz, since a couple of years have gone by since the post I quote, can you tell us how things went with that project? This may be moot, since I can't tell from Ms. Rhodes's email to dwriter68 whether she's still in the agenting business, but.

dwriter68

Registered
Reaction score
I read the e-mail 3 times to understand what was the purpose of it. Soliciting!!! Of course. She behaves like telemarketers, they get your info and then they go after you.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Finally! A bright, bold, beautiful red flag!

I never thought that by querying an agent, who is supposed to be reputable, I was going to be queried back. Her website is misleading. So, for those of you who are considering querying her, please read the pasted e-mail below before wasting postage and paper.

Here's the reply I got from Jody Rhodes:

hope I receive an email from you like the one below. The economic collapse has hit publishers hard and they just aren't taking on new writers. However, both Amazon and B&N contacted me last year with interest in the writers I represent whose books have not been picked up by NY houses. So the idea was born. I'd create a not-for-profit literary press and become a publisher myself for writers, since I could get them on the two giants Amazon and B&N. But first I'd have to generate money since it costs to design and publish books. The answer was to write a memoir, since I'm so well known, and donate all the money from sales to publishing new writers.

CONFESSIONS: A MEMOIR came out this past Sept 16 and currently has received 28 Five Star reviews. I've quoted them below, along with two national reviewers, so you can decide if you'd like to order a copy. Attached are comments from 10 major NY editors.

Best, Jodie

Dear Jodie,

I took your book with me to Virginia Beach this weekend and finished reading it (I couldn't put it down), will be writing my review tonight.

However, just wanted to say wow Jodie, I always knew you were a very strong, resourceful woman, but OMG!!! You have really been through some things, and come out a winner! I just can't imagine facing what you have faced, and I don't think I could have handled it. My heart, and my utmost admiration, go out to you. You are truly amazing!

I'm very much looking forward to the next installment! (Your next book.)

Very best,
Frances

O hAnnrachainn

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps sales on "Confessions" is flagging. Just saw an advert when I opened today's Publishers Marketplace lunch deluxe:
Jodie Rhodes' memoir Confessions is an interesting recent literary echo of Mad Men. Jodie is a female Don Draper, a brilliant, out of the box thinker with a troubled past who makes it big in the advertising business.
Excuse while I pick myself up off the floor where I fell while laughing my arse off.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score