• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jodie Rhodes Literary Agency

Joh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, All. I'm new to all this, so please be patient if I don't get the hang of it. Does anyone know of either the Jodie Rhodes LIterary Agency or the Amy Rennert Agency? I'm considering sending letters to ask for representation but don't want to get into a jam with a less than reputable agent, should I get offered representation. Thanks, Jo

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding a website for Jodie, but she's listed with recent sales to Holiday House, Harper Children's, and the like.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Jodie Rhodes Lit

I checked out her website and my heart went pitter-patter. I wanted her for an agent-she gets us writers. She is a writer as well as an agent.

Alas, she does not want romance--paranormal or otherwise. But if you've got what she's looking for check her out. She's listed with $ at P&E. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.jodierhodesliterary.com/submissions/

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't there a story somewhere about a guy who attended a weird workshop in her apartment? I don't have time to Google it but the story was hilarious and I'm pretty sure it was Jodi Rhodes.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
She's on my spreadsheet with a ? next to her name right now. I also have pasted in there this depressing quote from her website:

You should know that it’s virtually impossible to sell fiction by an unknown author and we take on only a handful of novelists each year.

Virtually impossible? Hard, maybe, but virtually impossible? I don't see many other agents being this gloomy - just at AW alone I see first-time novelists selling books right and left - but maybe it's true.

ETA: Ben, I read that story on my last query-go-round and didn't realize it was the same agent!

Last edited:

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if that story is fact or fiction, I'm just going by her webpage.

Also from her page: That’s the first thing that makes me unique. The second is the way I market. Most agents contact 8 to 10 editors and if all reject the book, the agent drops the book and the author. There are a few agents who keep fighting the good fight to 20, 30 or even 40 editors. I have sold many books after receiving 60, 75, 90, 127 and in two extreme cases 167 and 213 rejections. In those two cases, I kept fighting for their books for three years.

What do I know, sounds good.

Last edited:

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score

Also from her page: That’s the first thing that makes me unique. The second is the way I market. Most agents contact 8 to 10 editors and if all reject the book, the agent drops the book and the author. There are a few agents who keep fighting the good fight to 20, 30 or even 40 editors. I have sold many books after receiving 60, 75, 90, 127 and in two extreme cases 167 and 213 rejections. In those two cases, I kept fighting for their books for three years.

Yep, there were bits I liked and bits that threw me, hence the question mark!

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
I just read it, too. Is this true? Kind of creeps me out.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
She has books and sales listed, but I get the willies reading her site. Nothing concrete, no major red flags, just a feeling that something isn't right. And if the story on the link that Ben posted isn't fiction...yeah, willies.

And I can't really tell what genres she takes (other than by looking at her books and sales lists) since they aren't mentioned on her submissions page. Sure is a lot of info on what to include in your bio there though.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
She works out of her apartment in La Jolla, CA - and has for many, many, many, many, MANY years! She's is very picky, sells only to a few SMALL publishers and writes vicious rejections. I know, I got one!

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
...and writes vicious rejections

I'm really sorry to hear that, Carlene. What is it with some of these prima donna agents? without us writers, they'd be dining in soup kitchens.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

See I don't like this quote, because personally of the agents I know and my friends have, they have worked hard, far past the 8 - 10 houses she suggests all other agents do. She's making herself shine like a beacon compared with the other evil agents out there, and that makes me feel a bit icky. Along with the phrase of how it is "virtually impossible" for a newbie to get published. Basically it looks like she is saying, "I am your last hope authors, I am the only one who truly gets you." I don't think that is particularly professional, nor true.

Just my opinion though. ..

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Has anyone checked out the “Reputation” page? It’s got dozens of letters from writers and editors praising Ms. Rhodes – so many that I thought, “The lady doth protest too much.” And some of the compliments were a little over the top – best agent in the world, dream agent, that kind of thing.

I also wouldn’t want my agent posting my rejection letters from editors on her website (or my emails to her on her website) but maybe that’s just me.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yeah, I read the article, too. Just wow. The 12--14pt thing ringed true because it appears on her website. Apparently she charges for workshops (appearing off the radar, since it's conducted at home), but she does sound a bit eccentric, and generally annoyed with writers. But who knows? She might have some clients who are ravenous fans of her services. The thing to do would be to contact some of her clients.

Tri

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
For what it's worth she does sound legit, I'm not saying that she isn't. I'm just not sure what it would be like to work with her is all.

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
See I don't like this quote, because personally of the agents I know and my friends have, they have worked hard, far past the 8 - 10 houses she suggests all other agents do. She's making herself shine like a beacon compared with the other evil agents out there, and that makes me feel a bit icky. Along with the phrase of how it is "virtually impossible" for a newbie to get published. Basically it looks like she is saying, "I am your last hope authors, I am the only one who truly gets you." I don't think that is particularly professional, nor true.

Just my opinion though. ..
That's probably why it grabed me. I'm feeling quite vulnerable.

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
The 2009 Guide to Literary Agents says that the agency was established in 1998; she's a member of AAR, represents 65 clients, and that she sold 40 titles last year. Definitely legit...but eccentric, yes?