• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jessica Lynn Original Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,905
Reaction score
3,015
Location
MD
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard of Jessica Lynn Original Publishing?

They have submissions guidelines that are actually quite specific, so it sounds as if they're not going after this [email protected]. But at the same time, they don't give many details about what they give to authors (except for how many sample copies) of if they charge a fee:

http://www.jessicalynnoriginal.com/books/sendusyourbook.html

As far as I can tell, the site owner designs clothing and might sell some stuff on CafePress. So maybe she decided to start selling books that way, too. I dunno.

I learned about them because they posted on the "Writer News" message board at All About Romance. I'd be curious to know if other people have seen this company posting on boards or lists.
 

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,726
Reaction score
2,902
Location
right here
Website
www.veinglory.com
My assessment was the same as yours. They posted at my forum and I posted questions in reply -- but they haven't retunred to answer them. Specifc about what they want but no information on their printing/distribution methods, cover price, royalty rates, ability to edit etc etc
 

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,905
Reaction score
3,015
Location
MD
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
veinglory said:
My assessment was the same as yours. They posted at my forum and I posted questions in reply -- but they haven't retunred to answer them.

How telling. They posted and ran in Writer News as well. Of course, now that I've asked about this outfit, they'll probably come by here and say I was a mean poopiehead for not sending them an e-mail with questions. At least I can point to the questions they didn't answer after hit-and-run posting.

veinglory said:
Specifc about what they want but no information on their printing/distribution methods, cover price, royalty rates, ability to edit etc etc

They were asking for the moon and delivering at best Moonpies. Or maybe they were mooning us. And boy am I grateful we don't have a smiley for that.
:Hail:
 

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
674
Looks like they've noticed that porn is a seriously underserved market segment. They may or may not have any idea what they're doing. If I had to bet, I'd go with "not," because their list of stuff they don't want to see -- prohibiting "Bestiality, Pedophilia, Necrophilia or anything close, serious injury or rape" doesn't match the laws, the market, or the contents of the slushpile.

On the other hand, they may sell some books, because porn is a seriously underserved market segment. Sooner or later, most writers will write erotica, because writers write about everything that matters to them. Some of that erotica will be good. But whether it's good or not, it's likely to languish in the trunk, because there's a serious shortage of places to get it published.

One of the things Jessica Lynn should do if they want to sell books is to package and label their content very, very precisely. The audience for erotic fiction is even pickier about subcategories than the notoriously picky romance audience.

JL's website's section on why you should submit your book to them makes them sound like a Lulu.com or CafePress type of operation. Two weeks from acceptance to availability is kind of scary; clearly, they aren't going to be doing the editing or proofreading. If they were going to be doing significant marketing, I expect they'd say so, but they don't.

If it were my book, I'd leave it in the trunk and wait for a better opportunity.
 

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,905
Reaction score
3,015
Location
MD
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
HapiSofi said:
Looks like they've noticed that porn is a seriously underserved market segment. They may or may not have any idea what they're doing. If I had to bet, I'd go with "not," because their list of stuff they don't want to see -- prohibiting "Bestiality, Pedophilia, Necrophilia or anything close, serious injury or rape" doesn't match the laws, the market, or the contents of the slushpile.
It's possible they're aiming at the "Romantica" market because they mention the romantic element. A lot of those publishers use similar "Don't Use These Things" guidelines. (They do point out that as far as bestiality goes, romances about werewolves, dragons, centaurs, etc. don't count and are OK because as long as everyone involved is sentient and of age.)

HapiSofi said:
...One of the things Jessica Lynn should do if they want to sell books is to package and label their content very, very precisely. The audience for erotic fiction is even pickier about subcategories than the notoriously picky romance audience.
That's true of romantica, too. I have certain categories I tend to check out right away. Hint: I even have an Emily Veinglory novella on my eBookwise.
:hi:

HapiSofi said:
JL's website's section on why you should submit your book to them makes them sound like a Lulu.com or CafePress type of operation. Two weeks from acceptance to availability is kind of scary; clearly, they aren't going to be doing the editing or proofreading. If they were going to be doing significant marketing, I expect they'd say so, but they don't.
I don't think they truly understand what they're getting into. Maybe they saw the romantica market and wanted to enter it. It's possible someone associated with the site even has fan fiction connections and wanted to branch out into regular erotica.

HapiSofi said:
If it were my book, I'd leave it in the trunk and wait for a better opportunity.
Or heck, look on AW's Erotica board for help on where to place it. :D
 

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,726
Reaction score
2,902
Location
right here
Website
www.veinglory.com
AnneMarble said:
That's true of romantica, too. I have certain categories I tend to check out right away. Hint: I even have an Emily Veinglory novella on my eBookwise.
:hi:

Or heck, look on AW's Erotica board for help on where to place it. :D

You read my book AND plugged my forum. Guess who's my new best friend!
 

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
811
Reaction score
192
prohibiting "Bestiality, Pedophilia, Necrophilia or anything close, serious injury or rape" doesn't match the laws, the market, or the contents of the slushpile.

I have yet to find a single erotica publisher who doesn't list these restrictions. Could be I'm looking at the wrong markets though.
 

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Moderator
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
13,737
Reaction score
1,586
Location
Coastal Desert
The base site has changed from designer wedding dresses to art stamps. Same people, though, and no sign of any publishing venture, so I'd say their interests lie elsewhere now.
 

David I

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
851
Reaction score
186
Hmm. Ginger Lynn, Amber Lynn, Porsche Lynn, Kristi Lynn...all pornstars, right?

Have you searched XXX movies for Jessica Lynn?
 

Krampus Nacht

St. Nicholas and Krampus