• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

James A. Rock & Co. Publishers / Sense of Wonder Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In a PM lost to one of the board glurps last year, Mr. Rock had asked me why I found it "interesting" the Kirkus Review was instead Kirkus Discoveries.

To answer: 1) Kirkus Discoveries meant the book review was bought. 2) Listing it improperly as Kirkus Review seemed like an attempt to disguise the fact the review was bought.

To follow up: The review is now listed as "Kirkus Review, Discoveries".

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone having problems with Rock, this would be the best place to find others having problems. Or reassurances it's a feature, not a bug.

decwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, crud...

I have a book in progress with James A. Rock Publishing. The experience thus far has not been bad - there have been some weird time delays and stuff, but the contract was not overly restricting, I still own most of my rights and so forth, and I did not pay the fee - it was a Birthday gift. This is my first book, and I am an autistic with no one to offer advice. It never occured to me to look stuff up online, I was using email contacts in the writer world and books like the Writer's Market which does not list Rock Publishing as a subsidy/vanity house. I assumed they were legit. Still do since they have not cheated me yet, BUT now I want to know if I have blown it completely. What say?

All the other houses I sent query letters too failed to respond, except for Stillwater Press who said to get back in touch when I understood the deal. Then Rock called me and a wealthy relative liked the idea...so I signed on.

So now I see all of this...am I a pariah for having gone with a vanity press or is there still a chance for me and my works?

Advice the autistic ( who is now scared...) please???

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Pariah? I don't think so. However, the publication of this book won't help you with the publication of your next book with any commercial publisher.

The difference between "subsidy" publishing and self publishing exists only in the minds and promotional materials of subsidy publishers. To the rest of the industry, it's self publishing.

Now, there's nothing wrong with self publishing per se. But what it does mean is that the publisher wasn't willing to risk its own money on the project, just yours. That won't recommend it or you to a real, commercial publisher who regularly risks its own money on publishing a book.

And before you say that you're only investing 40% (or some such) let me ask if you've seen an actual accounting of the 60% the publisher claims they've spent? If not, you must assume that yours is the only money invested in the project.

Michael

Little Doggie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tol.myfastforum.org
Another very informative and helpful thread. Yeah, while I'm not opposed to submitting to small presses, I'm very glad I look here before doing so. It's obvious that some companies call themselves "small presses" when they're really vanity publishers. Thank you everyone, again, for your efforts to keep us informed!

Stenrose

Registered
Reaction score
James. A Rock just published my book. I also felt they were reputable because I found them in Writer's Market. The process took quite a bit longer than promised but the service was great during the editing phase. Now that the book is in print, and available for sale, I feel like they are ignoring me. I have found several typos that I want changed and have not been able to get any help making this happen. I am also disappointed in the lack of press release help. I too ordered some books last October and I still have not received them. When I do make contact with them all I get is excuses for delays. I am glad I went with them because none of the other big publishers would pick up my book. But I would like them to provide the service they promise in the contract. I want to think they are a small company and just need some hired help, but my gut is telling me something is not right.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sites went down late '16; last book published mid-'17.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away