Italiano!!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard of Montalbano actually. As soon as you said "Sicilian detective" that's what I thought of. My step-sister (who lives in England) has a fiance who is from Sicily, though I've never met him...

And I'm not opposed to buying movies based on Italy alone, even if I don't like the story. It's a language I want to learn and a place I want to go to someday, so in my mind any movie about Italy (preferably spoken in Italian) will be good whether or not I like the story.

:)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I couldn't find any of those movies. Not a single title written in Italian in my local DVD store.

I'm going to try to find a place in the city that sells foreign movies (and hopefully books too!).

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hey paisano, your DVD store sucks. Anyway, it's hard to pick a favorite Italian movie - we're talking about a nation with a massive cinematic legacy from Rossellini's neo-realism to Argento's "giallo" operatic horror to Fellini to modern classics like Gomorrah. Some that I've loved:
L'Avventura, a 1960s film by Antonioni
The Sicilian
La Dolce Vita and Juliet Of The Spirits (your requisite Fellini)
That should get you started. Buono appetito!

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot the classics... Antonioni, Fellini, Dario Argento.
It's such a pity that a country which such great art forms is falling so behind....

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I'm trying to reconnect with my Italiano knowledge base, so I just had to share this - from one of those How To Curse in Italian type books (I know, I have a guy sense of humor, but it's a good phrasebook. Hint: the bella on the back cover is holding fruit at a suggestive angle :D). In traffic you can yell "Ti conviene tornare sull'asino." :ROFL: You're essentially telling the driver s/he should commute to work on a donkey.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Ciao a tutti!

(I tried asking for a favor in italian, but thought I better not. :D Here's the request though. ;) )

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Italian, but I have lots of Italo-Australian friends, AND I have visited Italy before - loved it!!

Oh, and Lacuna Coil are one of my favourite bands! :) Trying to teach myself to sing "Senzafine" so I can do a cover! :D

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered an italian phrase - per guardare ancora fuori. I'd forgotten it meant as close as you can to "can't wait" or "looking forward to"

rajkashana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Ciao

Ciao a tutti! Good to see an Italian thread.

Se qualcuno vuole fare due chiacchere, fammi sapere. :D

rajkashana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm not Italian, but I have lots of Italo-Australian friends, AND I have visited Italy before - loved it!!

Oh, and Lacuna Coil are one of my favourite bands! :) Trying to teach myself to sing "Senzafine" so I can do a cover! :D

I agree completely. I worked there for few years. Italy is one of the most beautiful countries I have visited. And the Ice Creams are the best. :D

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Raj, tu vivo in Italia (adesso)? La mia Italiano è terrible, specialmente, dopo ho tornato Australia

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered an italian phrase - per guardare ancora fuori. I'd forgotten it meant as close as you can to "can't wait" or "looking forward to"

No, sorry. "Can't wait" or "I look forward to" gets translated into "Non vedo l'ora."

LimariC

Registered
Reaction score
Ciao Lauretta e tutti! Sono portoricana, ma ho bisogno degli amici italiana per imparare la bella lingua Italiana!

Lo ho scritto bene?

Hahaha

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Ciao a tutti! Sto imparando l'italiano. Mio marito e Siciliano. I'm still not very good, unfortunately! I'd love to be able to speak it properly some day, it's such a beautiful language.

Luana Spinetti

Art is a way of sharing feelings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
luanaspinetti.com
Ciao ragazzi! :D Bé, io sono italiana (e vivo in Italia) per cui se aveste bisogno di aiuto con la lingua, sarò felice di darvi una mano. ^_^

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Finalmente ho trovato gl'italiani! Non sapevo dove fossero nascosti. Sono nata negli Stati Uniti, ma la mia famiglia è italiana, e l'italiano era l'unica lingua che sentivo fin'a quando cominciai la scuola a cinque anni.

Uno dei miei autori preferiti è Grazia Deledda. Canne al Vento è un capolavore.

Yeah, and me likes that pizza stuff, too.

Last edited:

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Il link che ti ho dato non funziona? Molto strano. Va bene. Il filo chiamato "Italiano!" sta sulla pagina 3 or 4 della forum International District.

avl94

Registered
Reaction score
No no no. Il tuo link funziona perfecto. Il mio occhio non funziona perfecto, quando ho cercata. :p