Is it harder for people from another country to get an US agent?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
This is interesting, I had never considered sending submissions to agents outside my country. I have a question, though. My novel is naturally written using British spelling and conventions. If I was to submit my work to an American agent, would it be advisable to change it to US spellings and formatting first?

In my experience, agents don't mind and it's not worth the time and effort to change. Switching from British to American English is something English speakers tend to *think* is incredibly easy, but in reality there's a lot of tiny subtleties and quirks that even the most attentive writer will miss. I think it's better to write in your own English rather than try to imitate American English and risk tripping up an agent with an obvious-to-them mistake.

The BrE/AmE change can be done later by professional copyeditors at a publishing house, who are skilled professionals at localisation. There's no need for a writer to take that extra burden upon themselves when AmE agents don't mind reading BrE, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Adirahalcyon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm worried for that because I'm writing everything in English. My thoughts, my prayers, my writings are all in English even though my native language is Greek. I'm thinking what problems I would come across if I ever wanted to publish. But it's a very interesting question which does make me wonder.

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, agents don't mind and it's not worth the time and effort to change. Switching from British to American English is something English speakers tend to *think* is incredibly easy, but in reality there's a lot of tiny subtleties and quirks that even the most attentive writer will miss. I think it's better to write in your own English rather than try to imitate American English and risk tripping up an agent with an obvious-to-them mistake.

The BrE/AmE change can be done later by professional copyeditors at a publishing house, who are skilled professionals at localisation. There's no need for a writer to take that extra burden upon themselves when AmE agents don't mind reading BrE, and vice versa.

Thank you, that helps a lot. Yeah, a friend of mine very kindly offered to go through my work as an editor, and managed to find a couple of 'Americanisms' I had unknowingly slipped in :-D

stiiiiiv

Awww nuts!!!
Registered
Reaction score
This interests me as well. I'm a native English speaker, (Canadian) but I've grown up with both Brits and Americans, so my English is a mixture at the best of times, and spell-checkers don't catch all the subtle nuances.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
It's not impossible, but some agents aren't a fan. Trying to pay you when you don't have a bank account in America is a pain in their ass haha.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not impossible, but some agents aren't a fan. Trying to pay you when you don't have a bank account in America is a pain in their ass haha.

Agents are used to dealing with money from all over the world. They get paid by publishers everywhere, they deal with sub agents in other countries, and with authors who move houses, countries and continents. They have finance departments full of staff who know what they're doing. It's no big deal.

Hanukkah sameach!

blue background happy hanukkah with menorah