Is it better to first contact a writing agent in the U.S.?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to write it, I'm just not if anyone wants to read it, because all I remember is people saying they wouldn't read on.

I used to jog, but now I prefer a more holistic all-body workout in the gym. I do it because I do it, because I've done it and will continue to do it.
You might be missing the point here, but I mean sure - keep doing the workout...

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
There are books with mechs in the US/UK, like Iron Widow, though I'm not sure about magical girls (after a quick search, I've come up with at least one book - Chosen Ones - so those are about too). Either way, as other people have said, these tropes are really popular here these days, with anime and manga being a very standard interest for kids and adults. Personally, I'd recommend trying US agents possibly first, because I think the market for it is a bit stronger there than the UK (with aforementioned books both being US publications).

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
There are books with mechs in the US/UK, like Iron Widow, though I'm not sure about magical girls (after a quick search, I've come up with at least one book - Chosen Ones - so those are about too). Either way, as other people have said, these tropes are really popular here these days, with anime and manga being a very standard interest for kids and adults. Personally, I'd recommend trying US agents possibly first, because I think the market for it is a bit stronger there than the UK (with aforementioned books both being US publications).

I suppose. I just think that manga is a visual medium, and I'm not good enough at writing to translate all that visual spectacle into words. And yes, manga is a thing, but the kind of stuff (I think) more relevant to my situation would be light novels. Would something like light novels work in the US, especially with regards to a foreign genre like Magical Girls? :unsure:

owlion

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose. I just think that manga is a visual medium, and I'm not good enough at writing to translate all that visual spectacle into words. And yes, manga is a thing, but the kind of stuff (I think) more relevant to my situation would be light novels. Would something like light novels work in the US, especially with regards to a foreign genre like Magical Girls? :unsure:
It is a visual medium, but there are novels I posted about in that post which try to translate those ideas into prose, so you could have a read of them and see how they go about it. I don't think light novels are really a thing, outside of translations, so I'd put them forward as just novels.

owlion

Registered
Reaction score
Light novels aren't published in the US/UK outside of light novels from Japan being translated (as far as I know), so I'd recommend presenting your novels as just 'novels' rather than calling them 'light novels' when approaching agents.

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
Light novels aren't published in the US/UK outside of light novels from Japan being translated (as far as I know), so I'd recommend presenting your novels as just 'novels' rather than calling them 'light novels' when approaching agents.

I see. I think my novel-esque writing style is much different from what LNs I've read anyway, so I can't market it as an LN. But still, thanks.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What does it cost you to try? Sure you have to invest time in writing a query letter for US agents (see Queryshark and AW's Query Letter Hell for that), but beyond that all querying is done by email.
If you want a good listing of UK SF/F agents then have a look at my website here: http://martinowton.com/pdf/sf.pdf

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
What does it cost you to try? Sure you have to invest time in writing a query letter for US agents (see Queryshark and AW's Query Letter Hell for that), but beyond that all querying is done by email.
If you want a good listing of UK SF/F agents then have a look at my website here: http://martinowton.com/pdf/sf.pdf

Thank you. And I will try eventually when I'm done with edits and beta reading. Right now I've only begun editing and don't think I should start querying at this stage.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. And I will try eventually when I'm done with edits and beta reading. Right now I've only begun editing and don't think I should start querying at this stage.
I agree. My advice would be to get as many eyes on the manuscript as you can and listen closely to what they say about it. If several people offer the same points in critique you need to take those points seriously.

• Hug
Reactions: Ashigara

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few small presses that take on litRPG and other niche nerdy stories. They could possibly be interested in your book.

No shame in self publishing though. My current project is one I plan to serialize online, and it's nice to write without the stress of "oh God will any publisher even want this???"

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a few small presses that take on litRPG and other niche nerdy stories. They could possibly be interested in your book.

Curious.

No shame in self publishing though. My current project is one I plan to serialize online, and it's nice to write without the stress of "oh God will any publisher even want this???"

I don't know, it doesn't seem like a route I'd be confident taking.

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, it doesn't seem like a route I'd be confident taking.

Every publishing route takes confidence. Getting traditionally published is harder than ever. I've heard countless stories of very talented writers being rejected by 100+ agents before signing with one, if they sign with one at all. It's still worth pursuing if that's what you truly want, but steel those nerves for a lot of doors getting slammed in your face.

However I also know for a fact that there's an audience for your genres. Light novels with similar plots are getting bigger all the time, and there's no rule that they have to be Japanese and Korean only.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm afraid of trying to find a publisher for any of my works, because even though my works are based on Japanese genres (mecha, Magical Girl), I've written them in English, so I'm not sure if Japanese publishers are interested in working with me. And if I need to craft something for a US/UK audience, which I haven't, maybe I should just not publish my work? If I haven't crafted it for Western audiences, who'd read my work anyway?
This is why you need to research the marketplace before you start writing to make sure that there's a place that you fit in. You probably wouldn't get published by a large publisher but there may be small niche publishers who might be looking for works that appeal to a small segment of the book-reading population in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. In the future though, know who you're writing for and how you're going to get it into their hands first. It saves a lot of stress later on.

Jazz Club

It's not wrong, it's dialect
Registered
Reaction score
All I remember is people saying they wouldn't read on for both my works. Only that sticks out in my memory.
Then keep writing and improving! Hopefully people will want to read the next thing you write. I feel like you're so hard on yourself, I just want to give you an online hug.

You don't want to know how many words I've written and literally scrapped and thrown in the bin/trash can/whatever you'd like to call it. I don't even know exactly how many. I don't want to check šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£
Writing is good. Writing keeps introverts off the streets.
Exactly. If I wasn't here talking about writing right now, I might well be standing on the street corner, staring meanly at the passers-by šŸ¤£

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
Every publishing route takes confidence. Getting traditionally published is harder than ever. I've heard countless stories of very talented writers being rejected by 100+ agents before signing with one, if they sign with one at all. It's still worth pursuing if that's what you truly want, but steel those nerves for a lot of doors getting slammed in your face.

If I am rejected, the onus rests on me to grow a thicker skin and keep trying.

However I also know for a fact that there's an audience for your genres. Light novels with similar plots are getting bigger all the time, and there's no rule that they have to be Japanese and Korean only.

I am not writing a light novel. Also, I'm not sure about the 'no rule that they have to be Japanese and Korean only.'

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully people will want to read the next thing you write. I feel like you're so hard on yourself, I just want to give you an online hug.

If people didn't want to read my first few ideas, it does not bode well for my other ideas.

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I am not writing a light novel. Also, I'm not sure about the 'no rule that they have to be Japanese and Korean only.'
Sorry, bad wording on my part. I meant giant robots and magical girls is something I see in light novels a lot, and you might find readers among their fans.

• Hug
Reactions: Ashigara