Is 65,000 words enough?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 65,000 word young adult supernatural horror novel. I'm still editing so the word count may increase or decrease by a few thousand words.

Becca C.

Totes Legit Author
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that's the sweet spot in YA. A couple thousand words in either direction will be fine.

Joana H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordsandteabottles.com
65k is what I aim for, for first drafts. There's enough room to cut what I need to, but also if I end up with a larger word count it's still within the realm of a good word count. If it's fantasy they do tend to have a higher word count (but so do adult fantasies) but that's something you can think about in the edit stage.

Anberlin

Registered
Reaction score
I hope so, because that's what I've been shooting for!

I think most of the ya fiction that I read is quite a bit longer, though.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
65,000 is sweet, especially for YA on the younger end of the bracket (three published YAs here, and they're all around that). No point trying to add words just because if your story is told - an editor/agent is never going to be upset that you've presented her with 65k rather than 75k.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My first YA book, self published was 65k and ended up being 250 pages, but I used bigger pages than a standard fiction book.

My current book I hope to trade publish (and whose pages I shrunk) is at 67k due to cutting the first chapter out.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Aiming for 60K myself. YA coming of age. About to hit 40K so I think I'm right on track. I think you're good for YA horror. If it's any other type of fantasy, maybe you'd need a tad more.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Aiming for 60K myself. YA coming of age. About to hit 40K so I think I'm right on track. I think you're good for YA horror. If it's any other type of fantasy, maybe you'd need a tad more.
Yeah, it's a sci-fi. Although I think I can bump it up 1 or 2k because I need to add to the first chapter a bit more.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away