Irish. . . Gaeilge. . .

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
I'm Irish.

I agree modern Gaelic is re-invented, but then so is modern English. I speak limited Irish, but only what I've learned since leaving school.

I was listening to a show last week on the radio and they were discussing this very subject. Many people phoned in and texted to say they didn't speak a word after 13 years of learning up to and hour a day. To me and 99% of the people that called in the problem lies in the way it is being taught.

Ireland spends a staggering amount of money each year promoting the Irish language, but it basically comes down to telling people they should know how to speak it instead of teaching it to them. Adult courses in the basics are practially non-existant dispite that being what most people need if they are to take it up.

The government spend a fortune recently replacing all literature regarding departments, headed paper, logos... with ones that as in Irish and still neglect to address the issue with students and most adults being unable to speak it outside of a region in the west of Ireland where it's still spoken every day.

Completely agree with this 100%!!!! Irish isn't taught as a living language, but as a dead language! We're given phrases, and poems to learn off with no understanding behind it or conversation!!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here will help me with the name of an old Irish King: Flaithbertach

How do you pronounce that? Is there an English equivalent?

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Irish person here, too. :tongue I was taught Irish in school, but even now can only speak the handful of basic sentences we're taught as kids. I still remember the stupid and improbable conversations we had to learn off that would never be useful. And all the poems from the 1800s. Yeesh.

I think the problem definitely lies in how Irish is taught in school and how the government refuses to solve the heart of the problem. They can dress it up with new committees and signs and everything else, but all their efforts are going to come to nothing if they won't tackle how it's taught from a young age.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Irish person here, too. :tongue I was taught Irish in school, but even now can only speak the handful of basic sentences we're taught as kids. I still remember the stupid and improbable conversations we had to learn off that would never be useful. And all the poems from the 1800s. Yeesh.

I think the problem definitely lies in how Irish is taught in school and how the government refuses to solve the heart of the problem. They can dress it up with new committees and signs and everything else, but all their efforts are going to come to nothing if they won't tackle how it's taught from a young age.

*waves* hey vfury :)

Completely agree with you about Irish! I think it's funny that we all know there is a problem yet gov doesn't. Typical lol

@Deleyanlee - sorry i wouldn't have a clue but if i was going to hazard a pronounciation (which i'm sure will be wrong) maybe

fla (like flat without 't') - ber - ack (like ox but with ck sound)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Deleyanlee - sorry i wouldn't have a clue but if i was going to hazard a pronounciation (which i'm sure will be wrong) maybe

fla (like flat without 't') - ber - ack (like ox but with ck sound)

Thanks so much! He's a character in my book and I've had not a clue how to pronounce his name. LOL!

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
The Rosetta Stone CD-ROM course is quite good, as well, but pricey.

So, if someone wanted to learn Irish, which dialect should they try? Medieval; ancient?

What are the names of the dialects exactly so the 'right' course is purchased?

Looks more useful than modern, methinks....

Sile Muireann

:)

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

So, if someone wanted to learn Irish, which dialect should they try? Medieval, ancient?

What are the names exactly so the 'right' course is purchased?

Looks more useful than modern, methinks....

Depends what you want to do with it. I wanted to read the stories. There were a lot that weren't translated, or even available (even now) outside of mss. and they are incredible stories. (Yes, I spent thousands on an education in order to satisfy narrative lust and find out What Happens Next.)

If you want to study dialect, then go to the Gaeltecht. There's a program still at DIA that concentrates on dialect analysis, but honestly, I'd go to Cork because, well, I like the faculty better for this there.

But if you learn modern Irish from Rosetta, or any number of other similar programs, people will understand you. And the Irish are nicer about a clumsy American butchering their language than any group of speakers whose language I've unfortunately butchered. People have been incredibly kind about working with me and my awful accent, and pointing out that I'm using a verb that only other medievalists will recognize . . .

Also: Cork and Sabhal Mor Ostaig in Scotland both do short intensive courses on modern conversational Irish, and both programs rave about each other, which is always a good sign.

And I think Galway has one as well now.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer Medievalist!

More likely to read, since I don't know anyone who speaks it. But I won't be able to study abroad and earn a living at the same time, so I need to teach myself.

Perhaps if I try Rosetta I'll be able to decipher enough to make myself happy, or perhaps I'll look for older texts later.

Whether I learn ancient Gaelic or some modern language other than English, there is not much opportunity to speak either where I live.

Deleted member 42

Whether I learn ancient Gaelic or some modern language other than English, there is not much opportunity to speak either where I live.

If you want to learn Old Irish, look here. You can actually do it on your own. And Google books has made a lot of the books available for free in older editions. I've got a note to add links in where appropriate.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I may be wrong so feel free to correct me.

In regards to dialect, there are four in modern Irish depending on your geographical area.

Connaght (west)
Munster (south)
Ulster (north)
Standard Irish

Shamelessly taken from wiki

• Ulster: Cad é mar atá tú? ("What is it as you are?" Note: caidé or goidé and sometimes are alternative renderings of cad é)
  • Connacht: Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú? ("What way [is it] that you are?")
  • Munster: Conas taoi? or Conas tánn tú? ("How are you?" - conas was originally cia nós "what custom/way")
  • "Standard" Irish: Conas atá tú? ("How are you?")
Standard Irish is what I was 'taught' in school, generally leinster irish

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to learn Old Irish, look here. You can actually do it on your own. And Google books has made a lot of the books available for free in older editions. I've got a note to add links in where appropriate.

Thanks!

Somehow I think this idea works for me:)

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Dia Dhuit,

!

A chara, Dia is Muire duit.

Ta cupla focail Gaeilge agam.

I'm not a native speaker but I first began learning Gaelic in 1981 when a good friend from Derry sent me a course in Irish (books and tapes) which got me started. I torture my kids with it and they all know a little. In the small town where I live, there is one other person (with Irish parents) who speaks Gaelic. At school (where he works and I do on occasion) we had the best craic speaking in Gaelic in the faculty room to the amazement and confusion of the rest of them. Mine is far from perfect, I'm sure, but it's improving over the years.

Deleted member 42

More than I can say about my own Irish!

I'd love to find decent teach myself course that uses standard Irish (that I would've been taught originally) if anyone has any ideas/recom?

Irish from the Gaeltacht, no, I don't. I know that NUI Galway has been rumored to be working on one to be used by/for/with children in the Gaeltacht.

The Rosetta Stone software for standard modern Irish is well-reputed, but also pricey.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Although it's really designed for small kids, the Irish version of Euro Talk's Vocabulary Builder is much less expensive than Rosetta Stone and might be a good, simple start for anyone wanting to learn Irish.

http://eurotalk.com/en/store/learn/irish/vocabbuilder/cd

Euro Talk also offers some other CD programs that are designed for older kids and adults.

Last edited:

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Medievalist & Johnnysannie!!

Rosetta stone is a tad pricey. And Euro Talk looks good but although I'm useless at Irish I do have vocab etc. I guess it's the putting together of the information learned off from school? Maybe like a really good grammar book (with phonetics lol) or something.

I found a website that kinda gives free lessons in Irish with pron. and grammar in assoc with TCD which I might start using. . . see how it goes.

I guess it just pisses me off sometimes that I know more French than I do my own language!

Deleted member 42

In regards to dialect, there are four in modern Irish depending on your geographical area.

Connaght (west)
Munster (south)
Ulster (north)
Standard Irish

Really, there are more, the problem is that many of them are now preserved in the form of two or three native fluent speakers--and they're in their 80s.

This is a better source of information. Not so much in terms of the numbers but in terms of the information, and the audio links.

There are tapes, by the way, at DIA and Galway, of thousands of hours of native fluent speakers of specific dialects, two of which the last speakers are still living--and which are almost indistinguishable from the few recordings we have of spoken Manx.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website

Connaght (west)
Munster (south)
Ulster (north)
Standard Irish

[

Ulster is still somewhat different; I have friends (and such) in the north of Ireland, in the Six Counties and their Irish is often just a wee bit different than friends in the Republic. It is not as great a difference as it would have been even forty, fifty years ago but it's there if you listen close enough. The accents are different too.

alsafi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here will help me with the name of an old Irish King: Flaithbertach

How do you pronounce that? Is there an English equivalent?

I'm pretty sure that would be pronounced roughly as "fla" (as in flat, without the T, like emilycross said) "er" "tea". Or, in the north, "fla" "ver" "tea". Stress on the first syllable. If I'm not mistaken, it's the name of a king from the Uí Néill (O'Neal) clan, and is also the source for the last names Lafferty and Flaherty.

~alsafi

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
Ulster is still somewhat different; I have friends (and such) in the north of Ireland, in the Six Counties and their Irish is often just a wee bit different than friends in the Republic. It is not as great a difference as it would have been even forty, fifty years ago but it's there if you listen close enough. The accents are different too.

I thought when learning Irish in Republic schools, we still had to learn how to recognise Ulster Irish for aural exams and such? At least, in my school we had to, and I grew up in Co. Cork.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I thought when learning Irish in Republic schools, we still had to learn how to recognise Ulster Irish for aural exams and such? At least, in my school we had to, and I grew up in Co. Cork.

I've blocked out everything to do with aural exams. . .

I still have the nightmares :(

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
I've blocked out everything to do with aural exams. . .

I still have the nightmares :(

I gotta be honest, I doodled through most of those practice aural classes by the end. It was dire.