• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Irene Goodman Literary Agency

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Sent out an e-query on 7.15.08 and got rejected on the 22nd. Pretty prompt.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled onto this ... I queried Irene Goodman (romance) on June 3 (query, synopsis, ten pages) but received no response. Since a few of you have received R's (an acknowledgement, at least, IMHO), I'll try another agent there.

Boomergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I had a pretty prompt reply from this agency, too. One week after I sent out the query, I received a form letter rejection. While it obviously stings to get a rejection, it's ultimately easier to live with than waiting and agonizing, so I felt that this agencies dealings were pretty professional.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Continued fast response--all by e-mail

After asking for 3 chaps, IGA asked for the entire manuscript -- by e-mail in
a word.doc form.

So far, so good--and nice not to have to spend all the money and time printing and shipping with return postage the manuscript!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Got the R today (74 days out). Is something in the water? It seems I'm getting all kinds of responses recently (R's and partial requests). I guess everyone's coming back off vacation. Woo-hoo! Time to send out more queries!!

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Just to acknowledge the questions about querying another agent within this agency after a rejection: Don't do it. I queried one agent, got a partial request from another. If you look at their website, they are a very small, personal group who has several roundtable discussions about authors. I don't think a formidable query/partial gets thrown away without being passed on to another agent who may be more interested than the one queried. If you get a no, it's a good chance that every agent there has seen it.

j.s.cutler

Registered
Reaction score
Goodnight Irene

I got a form rejection from the Irene Goodman Agency after a partial. It didn't even have my name on it.

I'm not usually very sensitive about rejections, but that's pretty weak if you ask me. I've gotten better rejections from a straight query letter.

I won't bother with this agency again.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I attended a fantastic writers conference last weekend and Miriam Kriss was one of the agents in attendance. I didn't pitch to her (I already have an agent) but we had fun chatting at a couple of parties during the weekend. She is intense! And I mean that in a good way. Her passion for books is palpable and I think she knows her clients' work better than they do. She admits to loving to talk about what she does and would answer any question anyone threw her way. Wow, what a dynamo. No wonder she's such a successful agent.

sistermorphine

getting weird, going pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahevekelly.com
Still waiting on the verdict for my full with IG after four months, but I figure it's worth it. I suppose it's good training ground for learning how to wait, which seems to be nine-tenths of this business.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
After pitching Miriam Kriss my YA urban fantasy/paranormal in July, she called to offer representation on Friday of last week. :)

Last edited:

sarahevekelly

Jen, congratulations! I was wondering who it was. Have heard nothing but good things about MK. Hope to see you on the shelves soon!

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
I just received a rejection from this agency today, but it was a very polite and helpful one. The response time between query and rejection was about one month.

By the way, congrats to Jen. :)

Poetlore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stregastories.blogspot.com
I queried the Irene Goodman agency on the 4th or so of January, and they asked for the full manuscript very shortly after that (within the week). My manuscript is now at the Harvey Klinger agency and Irene Goodman, and if I don't stop checking my email every nanosecond, I'll never write again!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Babara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Agency is awesome!!! She ultimately rejected me, but not without first helping me improve my proposal 1,000 percent and giving me plenty of agent advice. She certainly did not have to put any time or energy into me or my project, but she did. How many other agents would do that?

ohjammer

Registered
Reaction score
Someone gave a rejection some thought

I queried Irene Goodman with a letter, synopsis and a middle chapter, largely because of her good press here in AW. Got a form rejection that had been modified to give the writer some direction:
"Thank you for your query. We appreciate you sharing your work with our agency.

We did review your proposal, and unfortunately we are going to pass on representing it. The premise just didn't resonate with us as much as we would have liked. Your writing does show promise and we wish you the best in your search for representation. Your book deserves an agent who can put the requisite enthusiasm behind it.

We appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and since this is a highly subjective business, you may well find success elsewhere. We wish you all the best with your writing.
Regards, "

Scott

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
This letter is a form. I got the same one from Mr. Sternfeld. I guess it is nice enough, but if they send it out to everybody it doesn't really resonate as helpful comments to improve the pitch or the writing. I like the thought of giving a nice rejection but in reality not everyone can have writing that shows promise and a weak premise. I like the short, sweet ones: "not for me" or "doesn't fit in with my list" better than being let down gently. IMHO.

I queried Irene Goodman with a letter, synopsis and a middle chapter, largely because of her good press here in AW. Got a form rejection that had been modified to give the writer some direction:
"Thank you for your query. We appreciate you sharing your work with our agency.

We did review your proposal, and unfortunately we are going to pass on representing it. The premise just didn't resonate with us as much as we would have liked. Your writing does show promise and we wish you the best in your search for representation. Your book deserves an agent who can put the requisite enthusiasm behind it.

We appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and since this is a highly subjective business, you may well find success elsewhere. We wish you all the best with your writing.
Regards, "

Scott

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Miriam in late January.

The next day I got a response requesting 50 pages.

Odd thing was that the response seemed like a form, and as if to reinforce that impression, whoever sent it forgot to put a name at the bottom. :) No joke - it said, Sincerely, . . . (emptiness) - - like there should've been "<insert name here>"

So, I responded without making issue of it, sending along the 50 pages, and assuming that it'll get back to Miriam.

Any thoughts?

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking out this thread.
I sent a query to Poelle on 2/11 and I've yet to hear back. Their site says to give them 1 to 2 months, so I suppose I'm nearing the 'nudge' mark.

This waiting is hard! I really liked what I read about this agency so I'm still holding out (slightly limp) hope.